Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Guidance needed after my bike fell off the roof rack!
Quote | Reply
Good Day ST'ers,

This past weekend I was travelling home from a race here in Nevada. My Cervelo S2 was on the Thule 518 fork mount rack that I've been using for the past 1.5 years. The entire setup includes the Thule Aerobars and all Thule fitting equipment. The front clamp was securely fastened down as well as the rear strap being around the wheel correctly. I double checked the security of the bike prior to driving as I always do.

While moving at 75mph (speed limit) I heard a thump on the roof which was followed by watching my bike roll down the back of the car. I don't have any children, but I imagine my thoughts at that time were similar to watching a child fall from a great height. It bounced, danced, and shimmered its' way across the highway and into the ditch off the right shoulder. It somehow avoided the only other vehicle on the road. It also managed to not damage my own car because the seat was the only contact point while rolling off.

Upon inspection of the rack, the clamp was still in the down and locked position. The fork clamps were shifted to the right in a way that allowed enough space for the fork to slip out. The rear strap was still attached and in perfect working order which tells me that it pulled right through from the amount of force.

The bike shop confirmed that the fork and both seat stays were visually cracked. The cracks are most likely repairable and the fork would be a replacement. Here's where the story gets interesting...

My auto insurance company, Progressive, says they won't cover the damage under Comprehensive coverage because the bike is not permanently attached to the vehicle. My homeowners insurance, through Farmers, says they don't cover the damage because the vehicle was moving.

I'm currently waiting to hear back from Thule about faulty equipment coverage, but that will take days to know. I suspect that route will be difficult because proof is hard to come by. In the meantime, I have an existing race schedule that requires a speedy solution.

Please help point me in the right direction with the correct information! Thank you!
Quote Reply
Re: Guidance needed after my bike fell off the roof rack! [nikenum9] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure what you are looking for. I wouldn't repair that frame. I also wouldn't recommend driving 75mph with a bike on a roof rack. I don't think you will get insurance to cover any of it, your best bet would be to see what Thule says if you can prove it was a defect in the rack itself.
Quote Reply
Re: Guidance needed after my bike fell off the roof rack! [nikenum9] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

You are most likely out of luck.

Auto insurance is not going to cover it. Home insurance would be a real long shot unless you have the bike scheduled on your home policy, if not, I wouldn't expect the home insurance to help out at all.

Sounds like you need to go frame shopping. Hope you can save the components at least.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It succcckkkkss, but.... Frame shopping time!

Next time, bike goes INSIDE the car!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
crush the frame up into a fine powder and have it put into the Fleshlight mold. You will have the only Fleshlight ever made from a Cervelo bike and are 100% guaranteed to be able to sell it to Jack Mott for a large profit. Insist on no returns or refunds.
Quote Reply
Re: Guidance needed after my bike fell off the roof rack! [Twotter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Twotter wrote:
crush the frame up into a fine powder and have it put into the Fleshlight mold. You will have the only Fleshlight ever made from a Cervelo bike and are 100% guaranteed to be able to sell it to Jack Mott for a large profit. Insist on no returns or refunds.

LOL!

Re: Guidance needed after my bike fell off the roof rack! [mcmetal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mcmetal wrote:
I also wouldn't recommend driving 75mph with a bike on a roof rack.

Huh...
and I've been doing 75-85 for years with all kinds of bikes

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Guidance needed after my bike fell off the roof rack! [Twotter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Twotter wrote:

I mean, it's not the worst idea I've heard...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a similar experience last year on my way to a race. I contacted Thule & they were awesome.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's the big attraction to the fork mount rack? Not only are we talking a single point of failure, but it's directly connecting the frame to the vibrations of the car. Not to mention that the front wheel still needs to be stored separately.

I've always used a rack that keeps both wheels on the railing. Isn't this what the pro teams do?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Luckily you were using a Thule rack. That company is one of the best. In my experience, if they can help, they will help. But, as stated, bikes go inside cars much like children and dogs. (I lost a bike off the roof at 60mph when I got hit by a wind gust) I have a repaired frame that I cracked and had fixed because the sentimental value of the bike was so high. I ride it every now and then but when I say every now and then, I really mean once in the last year. It was repaired by Calfee so it's probably just fine but...my head can't get around that it was broken.
Time to frame shop. Sorry dude.

Todd
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear about your loss. Now this post-mortem and accompanying advice may be too late but perhaps someone can learn from it. I too have a Thule 518 echolon and once (only once) I noticed that I had not set the fork down deeply into the clamp before shutting it down. I noticed it only because as I was driving and looked up at the bike through the sun roof, I noticed the bike was shaking violently. I stopped at the next exit and examined the setup. Only through the sun roof did I see that the fork was not "sitting down" all the way into the bottom of the 518. I had clamped it down only on its end and one of the ends got dislodged by the wind. It was not possible to see this from the side of the car as I was clamping it down but it was clearly visible through the sunroof.

So some bit of advice here:

1) Always inspect the fork clamp from inside the car (through the sun roof) to ensure it is sitting properly.
2) For security reasons, strap down my pedal / crank into the railing so you actually have two points of connection to the car. If one fails, then the two other connecting points is a guarantee that the car will not fly off the rack.
3) Use additional Velcro straps (in addition to the Thule strap) to tie down my rear wheel (and my front wheel) on my Thule Big Mouth Rack.
4) Go around the car for one final checkup of the bike and the rack before driving. Pretty much like a pilot would walk around his small plane before flying.

... and here is the big one.

5) Don't drive 75 mph with a bike on the roof.

.........................__0.............0
...................._.-\ <,_.........</\_
.....~_.o^,....(...)./.(...)......._/\...
Last edited by: paxfobiscum: Mar 2, 15 14:32
Quote Reply
Re: Guidance needed after my bike fell off the roof rack! [notAswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pro teams have to be able to grab a bike off and hand it to a rider in minimal time, so the choice is simple.

The bike is usually much more solidly held to the car with a fork rack, and aerodynamics is usually much better overall because the attachment hardware is far less bulky (and yeah, MPG is significantly affected by this stuff)

you can get separate wheel hook ups if you need.

notAswimmer wrote:
What's the big attraction to the fork mount rack? Not only are we talking a single point of failure, but it's directly connecting the frame to the vibrations of the car. Not to mention that the front wheel still needs to be stored separately.

I've always used a rack that keeps both wheels on the railing. Isn't this what the pro teams do?

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hopefully Thule has some sort of compensation for you.

To everyone saying don't drive at 75mph, you might as well bike to your destination! Shit happens, and while drag force goes up exponentially with speed, there's no reason not to drive up to the max speed stated by the rack manufacturer.
Quote Reply