Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Greenhorn peeing "on" the bike question - possible penalty?
Quote | Reply
This is as serious of a question as a "peeing on the bike" question can get, I suppose. Doing my first IM in two weeks. During training rides I would pick a discrete point in the ride where I didn't see anyone and would stop pedaling, sit up, coast and free the necessary equipment and go off the side of the bike. Yeah, I know I CAN just go right on my prized material possession, but if I don't have to, I'd like to avoid it. My question is, is that frowned upon or even legal in a race? I'm honestly not sure how the rules could be interpreted there. I know the answer I would give to someone writing this is just go on the damn bike, but I'm honestly just interested in the rules aspect of this. Frowned upon I'm not so worried about, penalized for it, that's different.

Thanks in advance (never in my adult life did I think I would ever be asking a question like THIS on a forum),
Andrew
Quote Reply
Re: Greenhorn peeing "on" the bike question - possible penalty? [agreif] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe this is covered under the USAT rules (or your other governing body)

Checkout USAT Rules 3.4 Race Conduct

n. Indecent Exposure. Public nudity at any time during the event is prohibited. Any violation of this Section shall result in a variable time penalty.

http://www.usatriathlon.org/...ebook.aspx#Article 3

Please don't expose yourself on the bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Greenhorn peeing "on" the bike question - possible penalty? [agreif] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've done it in all my Ironmans.

I have never seen any rules that state you can't pee while riding on your bike. Maybe I haven't read all the rules but I think that it is acceptable as long as you are discrete during the "process" and do it in a road section where there are no locals on the side of the road. It is certainly much better than stopping in front of somebody's front lawn and pissing on it.

On another topic, we men have it much easier. The women - well they just have to pee while riding. I've seen that a few times happen in front of me. It must be hard for them....

.........................__0.............0
...................._.-\ <,_.........</\_
.....~_.o^,....(...)./.(...)......._/\...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty sure whipping out your dong in public is not only against the rules but against the law ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Greenhorn peeing "on" the bike question - possible penalty? [USPro Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
USPro Tri wrote:
Pretty sure whipping out your dong in public is not only against the rules but against the law ;-)

Always depends on the context!
Quote Reply
Re: Greenhorn peeing "on" the bike question - possible penalty? [andrewnova] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
andrewnova wrote:
USPro Tri wrote:

Always depends on the context!

Depends!

Ha. Ha-ha. Sorry, that's as good as I can come up with.

BC Don
Pain is temporary, not giving it your all lasts all Winter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At IM Tremblant 70.3, at the athletes meeting we were told specifically "anyone relieving themselves in nature" would be given a yellow card penalty. They didn't specify whether this was limited to whipping it out or dropping trou on the side of the road.
Quote Reply
Re: Greenhorn peeing "on" the bike question - possible penalty? [USPro Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tried whipping it out once, but it got caught in my chain.
Quote Reply
Re: Greenhorn peeing "on" the bike question - possible penalty? [get2T2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
get2T2 wrote:

That's rookie stuff.... you are supposed to throw it over your shoulder
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
USPro Tri wrote:
get2T2 wrote:

That's rookie stuff.... you are supposed to throw it over your shoulder

Too heavy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I passed a young girl during an Olympic who was crying (it was during the run). I slowed and asked if everything is okay. It took a bit for her to come out and say it: She was upset she pee'd herself. Although I've never done it, I told her it was very typical for endurance athletes (nevermind the porta john every mile). She was embarrassed because she had a new boyfriend and didn't know how he'd react. I told her not to tell him, it's not like he's going muff diving the minute she crosses the line. Given she was probable 16 I immediately regretted that comment, but she laughed at it, relaxed a bit, then took off, leaving me in her dust. Glad I could help her beat me. :/

Quote | Reply
If you are going to whip it out on the bike, make sure you shave your pubs to gain those extra watts.
Quote Reply
Re: Greenhorn peeing "on" the bike question - possible penalty? [surroundhound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
surroundhound wrote:
At IM Tremblant 70.3, at the athletes meeting we were told specifically "anyone relieving themselves in nature" would be given a yellow card penalty. They didn't specify whether this was limited to whipping it out or dropping trou on the side of the road.

In wetsuits?? Is there a course marshal underwater with a thermographic camera?

Quote | Reply
What about 3.3 b? Some communities probably find intentionally pissing yourself on a bike to be offensive.
Quote Reply
Re: Greenhorn peeing "on" the bike question - possible penalty? [Sideways] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Honestly, I think there's a universal human exemption that says -- no matter what sport you're participating in -- if you're wearing a wetsuit, it's going to get peed in at some point. ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So here is the thing: if you get caught by a pissed off local who doesn't like the race being on his highway you may get to register as a sex offender. Sweet. It is highly unlikely that you will get caught. But the potential penalty is far greater than a DQ.
Last edited by: ajthomas: Aug 26, 14 12:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Q) How many times have you missed out on a podium spot by 70 seconds?

If the answer is less than three...then just use one of the many many portapotties that are provided on-course for that very reason. Don't give in to bad internet forum advice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hope this is not a minority view, but unless you're a podium contender or a potential Kona qualifier, I don't think you should pee on yourself on purpose. There are plenty of porta-potties on most courses, and the race packet will tell you where they are. What's a minute lost in a race where the average person finishes in about 12-13 hours?

Except during the swim, I suppose. You have my blessing there. Glass houses.

I can't think of a sport other than triathlons where the participants would pee on themselves on purpose. Top marathoners do it sometimes, if they're contenders. Even the Tour de France guys will stop and pee on the side of the road and not on themselves.

Just remember -- you're going to hand that bike to some volunteer, and then the bike's going to sit in the sun for hours.

<The Dew Abides>
Quote Reply
Re: Greenhorn peeing "on" the bike question - possible penalty? [get2T2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tried whipping it out once and got a penalty for drafting.

~~~~~~~~~
Empire Tri Coach
Team Gatorade Endurance
USATF Coach | NYRR Distance Pacer
Dad of twins
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
USPro Tri wrote:

Who said anything about whipping it out? Find a nice descent, relieve yourself, rinse off with a bottle of water, and keep riding. No indecent exposure necessary.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just don't do it as you're cruising though an aid station and you're cool.
Last edited by: chriskal: Aug 26, 14 18:36
Quote Reply
Re: Greenhorn peeing "on" the bike question - possible penalty? [Chris Martin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[/quote]Who said anything about whipping it out?[/quote]
The OP did
Quote Reply
Re: Greenhorn peeing "on" the bike question - possible penalty? [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fair enough. Thanks for the info guys! I knew I had seen something about offensive and inappropriate somewhere. On the bike it is.

To the other questions about being close to a podium. For me, at least, it's about doing all I can to take as much time off that final clock reading. If that means running through transition vs walking, staying as aero as possible throughout the bike or not stopping to pee I'll do it. I may not be near a podium but you better be damn sure after training for hundreds of hours at this sport, I'm giving it my all in every aspect of triathlon. I've got my own goals that I'm reaching for. I don't think being the top in my AG is the only way it should be deemed acceptable to go the extra mile, even with relatively trivial things like these.
Quote Reply