Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Great Buckeye Challenge Question
Quote | Reply
I am thinking of doing the Great Buckeye Challenge (Half) this August. Anyone done this race before? Reviews on how the event was run and the course? Would you recommend this over Steelhead? I am leaning toward Buckeye as the weekend is better for me, but I have heard great things about Steelhead...

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Great Buckeye Challenge Question [Bike Or Bust] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well, i don't know about STeelhead, but i can tell you about the Buckeye.

first of all, it is probably advertised as flat. as long as you understand that means Cincinnati flat then you're ok. around mile 40 is a total pain in the ass climb. i've seen people have to get off and walk up. but if i can climb it, i'm sure anybody here can, so it's not like impossible, just hard. the good news is that it's relatively short hill.

the swim is good--that is my favorite open water, it has a peaceful yellow green underwater and is great! there are plenty of kayacks.

the people that organize the event are awesome and it is well run and organized. there should be inifit on the course--which is awesome.

as for the run, it's hot. part of it is on a levy without so much as a spec of sun. there is gravel and dirt, then down the levy onto a backroad that is mostly flat with some shade. then you go down a hill, and back up--back up feels hard.

overall, it's a smooth running event and operation. it is hot, generally there will be wind on the bike but most people record a fast time on the bike despite all that. they say it's a fast course. the scenery is great farms and lush fields, i love the area it's in.
Quote Reply
Re: Great Buckeye Challenge Question [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info. Sounds like it is a go for me!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i went to buckeye in 04 to watch a friend and then raced it in 05. very well put on race. water is good. bike course is really nice i thought. run course isn't too bad besides being a little narrow for an out and back on some short sections. it can be hot but then again, it is august. the run course has a couple of decent hills...mainly the one at the far end of it. two thumbs up for buckeye
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I raced in 04 as my first half, and might race again in 06. Kitty is right about the mile 40 climb, it sucks, but spinning up is is fine. Lots of people were blowing up here.

It was hot as hell in 04 and I had to pee on the run really bad. I was afraid to go into the porta pots for fear of throwing up from the smell.

It is not flat, it can be windy and the run is tough. IMHO this makes it a great race.

----------------------------------------------------
Striving to have sex more than 66 times per year
Quote Reply
Re: Great Buckeye Challenge Question [Erik Clark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree. Well run and I recommend running as many of the hfp races as you can. Can be hot but hey it's August. Bike has quite a bit of rollers. I don't really care for the run course as it's a bit boring. It's an out-back-out-back, has a lot of water stops and the roads are closed I think. I'll do it again this year despite puking my guts out after the 04 race.

Good Luck,

Shad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, I've done it the last 2 years (as B/training races). Both years very hot on the run. All HFP races are very well run. Pretty large 1/2 IM. Bike course is really nice. One loop with flats, rollers and 1 long hill as mentioned on very smooth roads. The run is not a great course though. First it is 2 loops. Starts out a little narrow, then across a levy with zero shade, then small hills that are a lot harder than they look. Steelhead gets great reviews as well. A little higher caliber of competition at the Great Buckey I think (last year was also the duathlon long course championsip) if that matters to you.