Quote Reply
Re: Grand jury supoenas issued in Armstrong case [denali2001] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ouch - this could get really ugly.

Live long and surf!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No wonder he is minutes behind. It is in his best interest to be clean this year.

Crash or no crash, if was "prepared" he would be in contention.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Things are moving pretty quickly...

http://www.nytimes.com/...uiry.html?ref=sports

LOL!
No they are not. This is step 1a in a 50 step process. The grand jury decides if there is probable cause to indict. The subpoenas simply mean that they need more information to make that determination ( ie they don't have PC yet).
Don't believe everything you see on Law and Order.

Witness: I'll never talk, and you cant have those documents!
Detective: You can help us now or we will come back with a subpoena!
Witness: Allright! I'll talk!

LOL

"Wow, are you a triathlete?"
If spoken by a non-swimmer, that's a compliment. When spoken by a swimmer.... -glitch
My wife's blog http://www.hostilewit.com
Quote Reply
Re: Grand jury supoenas issued in Armstrong case [kevinp01] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

LOL!
No they are not. This is step 1a in a 50 step process. The grand jury decides if there is probable cause to indict. The subpoenas simply mean that they need more information to make that determination ( ie they don't have PC yet).

LOL

Do you know anything about the law??? If a GJ subpoenas you, you have to talk....and if you are found out to be lying then....all hell breaks loose. Remember one, Bill Clinton...he was subpoenaed and then found to be lying and what happened there???? It sounds like Sir Lance Alot is about to be brought down. Don't you have a race to worry about Johan!!!! Oh wait...never mind.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why does the government love Cancer? Lance is the only person who can help Cancer patients. It's doesn't matter an way. He can be found guilty and confess to everything and all the nut huggers will still sniff his crotch. He is bigger then the sport.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: Grand jury supoenas issued in Armstrong case [TriDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Do you know anything about the law??? If a GJ subpoenas you, you have to talk....and if you are found out to be lying then....all hell breaks loose. Remember one, Bill Clinton...he was subpoenaed and then found to be lying and what happened there????

The more appropriate example would be Marion Jones.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Remember one, Bill Clinton...he was subpoenaed and then found to be lying and what happened there????

Enlighten us.....what happened there?
Quote Reply
Re: Grand jury supoenas issued in Armstrong case [Tricky Dick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
No wonder he is minutes behind. It is in his best interest to be clean this year.

So Lance still has a shot of winning this year when all the others above him are caught for doping!
Quote Reply
Re: Grand jury supoenas issued in Armstrong case [damn lucky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

So Lance still has a shot of winning this year when all the others above him are caught for doping!

I still hold out hope for Garmin being clean, so Rydey would be in a better position to win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Look at all the lies Roger Clemens spewed to federal investigators and at senate hearings (or congressional hearings) over a long time span - OMG ... they were LOL unbelievable. Nothing happened to him.

I thought for sure he was going down. Let me tell ya ... IMO .... Lance is 10,000 times plus the man and person Roger Clemens is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm sure this has been discussed, but why don't "we" (i.e. government) try to solve real world problems and issues instead of spending countless dollars on something that may or may not have occurred years and years ago? We have oil gushing and destroying the Gulf for over 90+ days, one of the worst recessions in history along with a multitude of other problems/issues, yet we a concerned about an athlete maybe or maybe not doping? I think it is safe to speculate that doping occurs in all sports at all levels, so maybe just maybe we should just ban all sports and move on...

"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." Po "The Dragon Warrior", Kung-Fu Panda
Quote Reply
Re: Grand jury supoenas issued in Armstrong case [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Do you know anything about the law??? If a GJ subpoenas you, you have to talk....and if you are found out to be lying then....all hell breaks loose. Remember one, Bill Clinton...he was subpoenaed and then found to be lying and what happened there????

The more appropriate example would be Marion Jones.

Marion Jones was convicted for lying to federal agents during interviews, not the GJ. She was charged with 18USC1001, making false statements to federal agents.
Quote Reply
Re: Grand jury supoenas issued in Armstrong case [usctriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a fine sentiment...but shows little understanding or breadth of viewpoint of how the government actually works. You know they spend money on A LOT of different things, don't you? There are whole departments devoted to different aspects of what it takes to run this country.

We actually can pay federal investigators to look into potential misuse of public money (Don't you think that is a good thing?)....while at the same time sending the best and brightest the government has (best and brightest being debatable...to be sure)....down to the gulf region to figure out that mess. And none of that is going to affect Congress's ability to deal or not deal with the economy. They're making a hot mess of that despite anything else going on.

This doping story is a big deal in the media...so it may seem like the government is making a big deal out of it. And it hits close to us as athletes who ride bikes, so we're paying attention to it. But it isn't a wart on the ass of the judicial system. You can certainly rest well in the certainty that they are going after far more important issues as well.

Just saying a little perspective is in order here...I've heard this said a lot, in this case or others that seem "overblown".
Quote Reply
Re: Grand jury supoenas issued in Armstrong case [usctriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DONT ARREST ME MY CRIME IS NOT AS BAD AS IT COULD BE!

In Reply To:
I'm sure this has been discussed, but why don't "we" (i.e. government) try to solve real world problems and issues instead of spending countless dollars on something that may or may not have occurred years and years ago? We have oil gushing and destroying the Gulf for over 90+ days, one of the worst recessions in history along with a multitude of other problems/issues, yet we a concerned about an athlete maybe or maybe not doping? I think it is safe to speculate that doping occurs in all sports at all levels, so maybe just maybe we should just ban all sports and move on...

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Grand jury supoenas issued in Armstrong case [Tricky Dick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Crash or no crash, if was "prepared" he would be in contention.

Well since everyone had determined that dopers are always ahead of the testers, it would make no difference.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

This is such BS.

Landis lied and accepted donations for "his cause" and, now, he changes his story and the Feds issue subpoenas requiring Lance to testify?
Quote Reply
Re: Grand jury supoenas issued in Armstrong case [Mr. Tibbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Why does the government love Cancer? Lance is the only person who can help Cancer patients. It's doesn't matter an way. He can be found guilty and confess to everything and all the nut huggers will still sniff his crotch. He is bigger then the sport.

As someone currently battling cancer, FUCK YOU TIBBS! Seriously, the guy may have done some bad shit, but his foundation has done a lot more good shit than you ever have.

------------------------------------------------------------
"Triathlon is for people who can't handle drugs and alcohol." -IMFL t-shirt

The Dude Abides...
Quote Reply
Re: Grand jury supoenas issued in Armstrong case [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
DONT ARREST ME MY CRIME IS NOT AS BAD AS IT COULD BE!

In Reply To:

Dude, how much money got wasted on Congressional hearing over steroids in baseball? And now we want to do the same with LA? Let's spend the money on fixing our economy, or the two wars we're fighting, or the gulf of Mexico, or you know, shit that really matters. And then, let's make professional sports have a salary cap of no more than the president makes (since his job is arguably more important than Barry Bonds' or LA's) and use the extra money to feed the poor, or find homes for the homeless, or even clean drinking water for the rest of the world. WTF is wrong with our system???

The Dude Abides...
Quote Reply
Re: Grand jury supoenas issued in Armstrong case [Raul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FUCK YOU TIBBS! Seriously, the guy may have done some bad shit, but his foundation has done a lot more good shit, thanks to the fame and fortune he gained as a result of (allegedly) doping his way to the top repeatedly, misrepresenting himself and his team, strong-arming and intimidating teammates, lying to the media and the public, and misusing government money, than you ever have.

Fixed it for you.

His foundation exists for one reason; because he won the TdF numerous times. He won the TdF numerous times because he had an (allegedly) elaborate doping program.

The fall is going to be huge. I mean it is really going to be something. Save those foundation pens and coffee tumblers.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"That night I had a dream. I dreamt I was as light as the ether."
Quote Reply
Re: Grand jury supoenas issued in Armstrong case [Tiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry bro, but I'm a little touchy on the cancer issue. I found out I have it AGAIN last month. Treatments a bitch. You can be all high and mighty if you want about all the awful things he's done with doping. Fine, I don't care. Start talking smack about cancer, and I draw a line. You would too if you had ANY idea what it's like to hear those words from a doctor. And if you do, you'd better pray that the government still cares about cancer and that foundations like livestrong exist. Because you'll need all the aupport you can get. But I hope you never have to experience that.

The Dude Abides...
Quote Reply
Re: Grand jury supoenas issued in Armstrong case [Raul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Sorry bro, but I'm a little touchy on the cancer issue. You can be all high and mighty if you want about.....You would too if you had ANY idea what it's like..... And if you do, you'd better pray..... Because you'll need all the aupport you can get. But I hope you never have to experience that.

You don't know my story at all. Good luck to you and you are in my prayers.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"That night I had a dream. I dreamt I was as light as the ether."
Last edited by: Tiki: Jul 13, 10 23:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
FUCK YOU TIBBS! Seriously, the guy may have done some bad shit, but his foundation has done a lot more good shit, thanks to the fame and fortune he gained as a result of (allegedly) doping his way to the top repeatedly, misrepresenting himself and his team, strong-arming and intimidating teammates, lying to the media and the public, and misusing government money, than you ever have.

. . . blah, blah, blah

Did he dope? Maybe. Was he 100% clean for his career? That seems unlikely. But it seems unlikely because we all acknowledge that the entire sport during that time was one big pharmaceutical convention. The possibility exists that the fastest doper amongst dopers is likely to still be the fastest if they were all clean.

But here's the reality: Unless Armstrong confesses or a doctor verifies that he treated Armstrong (and has records to support it) then NOTHING happens. Look back at all the athletes felled by doping; they all failed a drug test, or confessed, or medical and/or business records document the doping. Every last one of them. Testimony by trainers, friends, and other athletes has not been sufficient to topple our lofty sports heros. And a lout like Landis certainly isn't a threat to a titan like Armstrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"His foundation exists for one reason; because he won the TdF numerous times. He won the TdF numerous times because he had an (allegedly) elaborate doping program."

I think this may be incorrect. He was a former bike racer, fired from his team, and not involved in the sport when he created the foundation. His comeback was later on. The foundation preceded his return to cycling and his '99 TdF victory, and in all interviews he consistently said that his foundation work was much more important than his bike racing. That's quite a statement from someone who wins the TdF.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

LOL!

LOL

Do you know anything about the law??? If a GJ subpoenas you, you have to talk....and if you are found out to be lying then....all hell breaks loose. Remember one, Bill Clinton...he was subpoenaed and then found to be lying and what happened there???? It sounds like Sir Lance Alot is about to be brought down. Don't you have a race to worry about Johan!!!! Oh wait...never mind.

Do you know anything about history? Bill Clinton was never subpoenaed by a grand jury and never appeared before a grand jury.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply

Prev Next