Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Gp4000s 2 vs attack/ force combo
Quote | Reply
In my attempt at a sub 5 ironman bike split I'm wondering which is faster?

Also how flat prone the attack/force is?

I see the combo also has the vectran protection so it should be the same as the gp4000?

Yellowfin Endurance Coaching and Bike Fits
USAT Level 1, USAC Level 3
Quote Reply
Re: Gp4000s 2 vs attack/ force combo [surfNJmatt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At 100 psi the 4000S (12.9 watts) and Attack (12.7 watts) are virtually identical in terms of rolling resistance. The Force (11.6 watts) is a little over a watt faster than the 4000S.

I personally use an Attack on the front and 4000S in the back. On my bike (Blue Triad SL) there isn't much rear clearance for the tire, and I found that the Force is too wide to fit - found out the hard way via a flat in a race!

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Which wheels? The latest conventional wisdom is that wheels and tires work together as an aerodynamic system. For example, FLO's design target is the GP4K2. HED's fastest is the Attack on their Plus wheels.
Quote Reply
Re: Gp4000s 2 vs attack/ force combo [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
Which wheels? The latest conventional wisdom is that wheels and tires work together as an aerodynamic system. For example, FLO's design target is the GP4K2. HED's fastest is the Attack on their Plus wheels.

But hasn't the Attack changed since the HED "Plus" wheels were designed?

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The attack tires seem to have lower flat protection than the GP4000s II, but not significantly faster, and if using less than 95 psi, than tested slower: https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/...and-prix-attack-2016

That said, looking at the difference in rolling resistance on the Grand Prix TT, I may experiment with it as my race tire this coming season.

It's roughly 5 watts faster than the GP4000s II, with less flat protection, but with the Vectran layer, seems to offer more flat protection than some other super fast tires it's comparable with.

Worth the gamble, but will mostly use them just for racing sticking with the GP4000s II as my weekly time trial and general training tire due the the lower life expectancy of the TT with the mush lower tread thickness.

Running a Hed Jet 9 plus front and Jet Disc rear which tests fast with contis.
Last edited by: dfquigley: Jan 19, 18 8:33
Quote Reply
Re: Gp4000s 2 vs attack/ force combo [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I specifically asked the HED guy in email in December if the current Attack is their fastest. He said yes. His words.
Quote:
Attack is still the most aero tire for a plus wheel but we can now safely recommend a 23 or 24mm tire for the fastest balance of aero and rolling resistance on a smooth road. If the roads are not in excellent shape, then a 25mm tire is no slower than 23mm.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I realize they have tested Attack wheels in the past as the most aerodynamic, but looking at the Rolling resistance difference between the attack and the TT, is an attack front going to be 2 watts faster than a TT front aerodynamically to recover the slower rolling resistance?

I was also under the impression that it was the 22c attack tire that was optimal, but now it's being sold as 23c, I doubt it would test exactly the same. Them saying that they can safely now recommend a 23 mm front seems to confirm they are still using the 22c data for the recommendation.
Last edited by: dfquigley: Jan 19, 18 8:44
Quote Reply
Re: Gp4000s 2 vs attack/ force combo [dfquigley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfquigley wrote:
I was also under the impression that it was the 22c attack tire that was optimal, but now it's being sold as 23c, I doubt it would test exactly the same. Them saying that they can safely now recommend a 23 mm front seems to confirm they are still using the 22c data for the recommendation.
We traded a lot of emails. I think he said that HED tested on the new version, but I cannot specifically remember. I had GP4K2 tires before, and I loved them. He convinced me on the Attack/Force combo. Part of the story was not just their testing, but he commented on a number of their in-house fast racers and their wheel and tire preferences.

I had personally ruled out the TT tires and the Speed Corsa tires because of comments here and other areas about flat vulnerability. I prefer to train and race on the same equipment, so low treadlife and flat propensity is a bad thing for me. That, coupled with HED's love of the Attack tires, made my personal decision to move from GP4K2 to Attack/Force easy.

If you are thinking about your personal tire choice for your HED wheels, I encourage you to reach out directly to HED. It was a fun exchange. They might be able to answer your particular questions so that you do not have to guess or read between the lines from a reply that does not contain the full context.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do temember just days ago having a video sent my way where HED was specifically talking about the attack and even brought up the 22c tire size, so they will have needed to test both once the new ones came out.

I don’t mind swapping for races, been running butyl/gp4000sii for years, and looking at 8-10 watts with a TT/latex combo, which could be a difference maker, but want to test out for myself propensity for flats a bit in training before risking a race.

That said, guys like Kienle seem to do ok on them!

Thanks for the response, I may reach out to HED tonight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dfquigley wrote:
I do temember just days ago having a video sent my way where HED was specifically talking about the attack and even brought up the 22c tire size, so they will have needed to test both once the new ones came out.
The guy I was trading messages with was the guy who made that original video. I referenced it when I was asking him, because it had been out several years. This is what I wrote:
Quote:
I watched your YouTube video about tire width recommendations for the Jet Plus wheels, and you talk about 22mm or 23mm tires as best. And, you state that the Attack is the fastest tire for the rim. That video was produced a couple years ago, before much of the current momentum emerged about balancing crr more with aerodynamics, which has led to 25mm tires becoming popular...

Is the 23mm Attack still the fastest tire for HED Jet Plus wheels?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My only hangup was the language of the response “Attack is still the most aero tire for a plus wheel”

I do believe that it may well be the most aero, but is it 2.5 watts per tire more aero? :p

Based on the language I’d assume they just mean most aero and I think the main differences going to the TT is tread thickness, which can alter aerodynamice a bit, I would be surprised if it was that much :p

Sounds like an email will be sent out for sure :p
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Would you mind shooting me a PM with the email address of whiever you have been chatting with if it isn’t a standard contact page address?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[quote dfquigley

I do believe that it may well be the most aero, but is it 2.5 watts per tire more aero? :p[/quote]
It just might be. I just posted in another thread about the HED JET+ Black so it is on my mind, but remember from the wind tunnel test I did last year, thanks to the support of many of you, the old 23mm supersonic performed considerably better than the new 23mm supersonic. For those that are NOT familiar, the old 23mm measures quite a bit more narrow than the new one.

Those results are here => http://www.thomasgerlach.com/...ria-corsa-speed.html

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dfquigley wrote:
Sounds like an email will be sent out for sure :p
PM Sent. Let us know what you learn.
Quote Reply
Re: Gp4000s 2 vs attack/ force combo [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So it sounds like corsa speed outperforms the TT both aerodynamically and in rolling resistance, too bad there isn’t the comparison with the attack!

I was actually reading the thread leading up to that wind tunnel testing last night, but there was no update in that thread, so didn’t know whether it happened!

Any reason not to use the corsa speed other than trying to change a flat with the tight tires, or any reason not to try it out tubeless?

If HED does have numbers comparing the attack and TT, given this comparison, we could still extrapolate to the corsa speed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As Tom A has said many times, ~"RR can make up for many aero sins." On the back it is almost certainly the right choice. You could make various arguments on the front given different wheels, conditions etc, but at the end of the day we need to be out there riding. Top Conti tires are not a bad a choice. And I have had good success running Corsa Speed tubeless but running tubeless is definitely more of a hassle.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fantastic.

So it sounds like corsa speed or attack are the front runners given the corsa speed vastly outperforming the conti TT aerodynamically but much happier with the corsa speed rolling resistance numbers too vs the attack.

Have you had success with not getting a ton of flats on the corsa speed?

Going from gp4000sii with butyl tubes to a corsa speed, will probably take a good handful of seconds off a local 10 mile tt let alone half and full iron times, assuming i don’t flat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just ordered a pair of CS from my LBS ( on backorder til feb in Canada ).

Thanks for the feedback Thomas Gerlach.

Still following up with HED, but sold enough to try them out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dfquigley wrote:
Fantastic.

So it sounds like corsa speed or attack are the front runners given the corsa speed vastly outperforming the conti TT aerodynamically but much happier with the corsa speed rolling resistance numbers too vs the attack.

Going from gp4000sii with butyl tubes to a corsa speed, will probably take a good handful of seconds off a local 10 mile tt let alone half and full iron times, assuming i don’t flat.

One thing to add to TG's test data. Note that he tested the GP TT 25c tire width not the 23c. Since it is likely that the new 23c SS utilizes a variation on the GP TT casing it isn't unreasonable to speculate that the 23c GP TT would have performed similarly to the new 23c SS in TG's wind tunnel testing. In TomA's Crr testing the 23c GP TT is the Conti tire that performs closest to the CS TLR in terms of rolling resistance.
Quote Reply
Re: Gp4000s 2 vs attack/ force combo [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I missed that with the quick read, and incorrectly assumed same tire widths to control variables :p

My CS are on order, but will be march ir so before I can test them out!

Thanks again!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dfquigley wrote:
Fantastic.

I have never flatted on a Speed, then again, I rarely if ever flatted on Supersonics as well. YMMV

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Been 3 seasons since I have flatted, and that was getting firced into some really gross stuff on the side if the highway training.

Seems it is wirth the risk!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can see why the Corsa Speed tires are potentially more delicate than other tires. The construction is totally different than most. Most tires are molded as one continuous blob of mixed materials with more protection on the sidewalls and typically a thicker tread area. The SC has a light cotton casing that is directly exposed. And then, the thread cap is very thin and glued to the casing. I bet it rides like clouds in the wind.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was looking at some turbo cottons the other day, crazy difference!!
Quote Reply

Prev Next