Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Got a penalty because a guy in a gorilla suit ran next to me. [125mph] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, Mr Ref specifically said the gorilla gave me an unfair advantage.
Quote Reply
Re: Got a penalty because a guy in a gorilla suit ran next to me. [cooterbrown96] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that's just plain bananas. I'd a peel.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Got a penalty because a guy in a gorilla suit ran next to me. [cooterbrown96] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The only thing that is more insane than the penalty you received is that fact that another ref is trying to defend this guy's actions on your twitter feed...seriously, what the hell.
Quote Reply
Re: Got a penalty because a guy in a gorilla suit ran next to me. [pattersonpaul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pattersonpaul wrote:

We have a winner!
Quote Reply
Re: Got a penalty because a guy in a gorilla suit ran next to me. [bhobbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes there are rules, but this was not a friend to help you can any advantage it was the gorilla or whoevere hired the gorilla, ignorant of the USAT rules, they should also know the rules or not be able to in or near the race participants. I suppose you could have said "get the f*^%k away from me, you silly ass monkey".

-----------------------------------------------------------
"You do what you have to do , so can do what you want to do."
Quote Reply
Re: Got a penalty because a guy in a gorilla suit ran next to me. [matto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
matto wrote:
This can not possibly be a legit penalty.

A random fan can give anyone they want a penalty by jogging next to them?[/quote]

Was the OP going that slow?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good thing the gorilla wasn't with you in T3

"You don't stop when you're done; you stop when the gorilla is done!"

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This must be a first: Someone complaining about a penalty on ST who actually has a legitimate beef.

A BS penalty for sure.
Quote Reply
Re: Got a penalty because a guy in a gorilla suit ran next to me. [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is just silly... $100 to appeal a silly call? What a scam...

a. Time and Fee for Filing Appeal. An appeal must be filed in writing with the USA Triathlon Executive Director postmarked within 30 days after the date of the decision or determination being appealed and must be accompanied by a $100 filing fee. The filing fee shall be refundable only if the appeal is finally determined in the appellant's favor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What a creepy little jobsworth.
Quote Reply
Re: Got a penalty because a guy in a gorilla suit ran next to me. [born_to_TRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
born_to_TRI wrote:
That is one gorilla with a nasty heel-strike. Doesn't he know he could get more bananas by switching to mid-foot?!?

He is wearing Newtons and still slamming that heel!
Quote Reply
Re: Got a penalty because a guy in a gorilla suit ran next to me. [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did the argument go down in the food tent? There was some type of commotion. That or Macon's heat brings out the drama.
Quote Reply
Re: Got a penalty because a guy in a gorilla suit ran next to me. [duron43] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I suppose you could have said "get the f*^%k away from me, you silly ass monkey".

You can't do that either.

3.3 General Conduct. At or during an event, or while at the event site, all participants must:
a. Act in compliance with these Competitive Rules;
b. Conduct themselves in a manner that is not offensive in any way to fellow participants, spectators, officials or volunteers and is considered reasonable and acceptable in the community;
c. Treat all participants, officials, volunteers and spectators with fairness, respect and courtesy;
d. Refrain from the use of abusive language or conduct; and
e. After violating any of the Competitive Rules, report such violation to the Head Referee or retire from the event.

From my quick glance at the USAT rules it looks like you could get a penalty if someone in the crowd cheers for you.

No participant shall accept from any person (other than a race official) physical assistance in any form, including food, drink, equipment, support, pacing, a replacement bicycle or bicycle parts, unless an express exception has been granted and approved, in writing, by USA Triathlon.
Quote Reply
Re: Got a penalty because a guy in a gorilla suit ran next to me. [pattersonpaul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pattersonpaul wrote:

I woulda gone apeshit if this happened to me.

Hey wait a minute - apeshit *is* bananas!

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: Got a penalty because a guy in a gorilla suit ran next to me. [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:
matto wrote:
This can not possibly be a legit penalty.

A random fan can give anyone they want a penalty by jogging next to them?[/quote]

Was the OP going that slow?

Slow enough for a guy in a gorilla suit to keep up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You'd have a reason to appeal if it was just a random guy in an ape suit but it wasnt. The subject title is a bit misleading, considering that you were in on having your buddy jump into the race and run around like a bozo in an ape costume. Your buddy could've cheered you on from the side. Rules are there for a reason. If they weren't enforced everybody and their mother would be out in moronic costumes to join in for a brief run after their friend exits t2. Funny thing is... If that were the case, you'd probably be one of the first to complain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree that this is a ludicrous call in the grand scheme of things, but, to play devil's advocate if I may...

Quote:
Totally a goof, some dude in a full gorilla suit trying to get me pumped up for a 13 mile run.

It wasn't "some dude", it was your buddy, and you admit that he was there to "pump you up for a 13 mile run". How is that not outside assistance? Had you approached a referee prior to the race and asked whether it's OK to have a friend run with you out of T2 in order to pump you up, what would the answer have been?
Quote Reply
Re: Got a penalty because a guy in a gorilla suit ran next to me. [TheGreatDecay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheGreatDecay wrote:
You'd have a reason to appeal if it was just a random guy in an ape suit but it wasnt. The subject title is a bit misleading, considering that you were in on having your buddy jump into the race and run around like a bozo in an ape costume. Your buddy could've cheered you on from the side. Rules are there for a reason. If they weren't enforced everybody and their mother would be out in moronic costumes to join in for a brief run after their friend exits t2. Funny thing is... If that were the case, you'd probably be one of the first to complain.

Hey look, the ref now has an ST account.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Got a penalty because a guy in a gorilla suit ran next to me. [atomic916] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
atomic916 wrote:
I agree that this is a ludicrous call in the grand scheme of things, but, to play devil's advocate if I may...

Quote:
Totally a goof, some dude in a full gorilla suit trying to get me pumped up for a 13 mile run.

It wasn't "some dude", it was your buddy, and you admit that he was there to "pump you up for a 13 mile run". How is that not outside assistance? Had you approached a referee prior to the race and asked whether it's OK to have a friend run with you out of T2 in order to pump you up, what would the answer have been?

Some dude is a gorilla suit... yes it was.. I know him, but I didn't have any knowledge of this monkey business going into it. Not to mention he did this same exact thing for other buddy's on the course, yet I was the only penalty. The others weren't contesting for an overall position. If the official was consistent and penalized the 10+ others then it would having been even more asinine, yet laughable. But to single out 1 man is just unfair.

Now, that I addressed the devils advocate, it was a guy in a gorilla suit... how much assistance could he give me? Really? Ask yourself that? This wasn't a world championship event, it's Macon Ga. These rules were not put in place for situations like this, officials should use their head.
Quote Reply
Re: Got a penalty because a guy in a gorilla suit ran next to me. [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
TheGreatDecay wrote:

Hey look, the ref now has an ST account.[/quote]

X2

Look this wasn't an arranged thing, it was a goof from my friends... nothing more...

If I were to have a pacer I'd be a bit more secretive and pick someone with better running form.. :) maybe the reason for his ape like heel strike was that he was trying to hang on to my 6:40 pace coming out of T2. Wouldn't a pacer be more affective around mile 8 or 9?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Even if it was a World Championship event, you received absolutely no assistance in my mind, hence the full disclosure of playing devil's advocate. Perhaps you were able to relieve some facial stress by smiling more than you would have without the gorilla! :)
Quote Reply
Re: Got a penalty because a guy in a gorilla suit ran next to me. [TheGreatDecay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheGreatDecay wrote:

Haha oh lord.... he could have been married to the person in the gorilla suit for all I care the penalty is moronic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cooterbrown96 wrote:

Look this wasn't an arranged thing, it was a goof from my friends... nothing more...

If I were to have a pacer I'd be a bit more secretive and pick someone with better running form.. :) maybe the reason for his ape like heel strike was that he was trying to hang on to my 6:40 pace coming out of T2. Wouldn't a pacer be more affective around mile 8 or 9?

Makes more sense with the details. How was your buddy allowed to continue running around on the course if you got a penalty? I would think he would've been pulled too. Maybe he will cough up the $100 so you can get your 4min back.
Quote Reply
Re: Got a penalty because a guy in a gorilla suit ran next to me. [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's funny you say that. . .I am actually his wife and am the one who had our buddy dress up as the gorilla as a total joke. The whole gorilla suit is an inside joke amongst a local group of friends. My husband wore the suit at IM TX as a joke to cheer a group of us on the run. He had no idea I was bringing the suit. In Kona this year, there was a guy in a gorilla suit and a dude in a banana suit that ran around at random events all week. They made several appearances on the course race day. . .
It's a complete joke, there was no pacing in the 20 seconds the gorilla ran by him. . . everyone that saw the gorilla suit at the race (as far as I could tell) thought it was humorous and there were even some photo ops. . .
Quote Reply
Re: Got a penalty because a guy in a gorilla suit ran next to me. [schroeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I suppose you could have said "get the f*^%k away from me, you silly ass monkey".

You can't do that either.

I do believe that in GA you can invoke the NRA / Charleton Heston exemption to that rule if you yell "Get the Hell away from me you goddamn dirty ape"

Styrrell
Quote Reply

Prev Next