Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Good source for someone To go from running to a sprint triathlon In a year
Quote | Reply
They currently run half marathons and want to get a bike and do a sprint in approx 1 year

What book or other source would you recommend for them?
Quote Reply
Re: Good source for someone To go from running to a sprint triathlon In a year [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is there a triathlon club nearby?

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Re: Good source for someone To go from running to a sprint triathlon In a year [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No
Quote Reply
Re: Good source for someone To go from running to a sprint triathlon In a year [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Didn't really look at any books or articles when I got into the sport. Maybe something like this would be helpful for them to see what workouts could look like with a specific goal in mind (I'm sure there's a sprint version). But my real advice would be to talk to a coach -- even a consult to get started. Do a couple of coached swim sessions right at the beginning to get some help with technique & to get an idea about what drills might be good to incorporate into training. Most could probably do well just lining up 2-3 swims/4-5 rides/3-4 runs/week. For a new athlete who has running experience, it's all about finding consistency in the pool & riding as much as possible. Building up to 2-3k when they go to the pool & around an hour when they ride. Something like 10 hours/week (up to 12-13). If they know what good run training looks like, they could probably design decent enough swim/bike training but they'll likely be missing out on some form/technique work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When my son got me started in 2020, I went online and found an off-shelf plan and found a lot of articles and videos on transition, mentally preparing, nutrition, etc. I also watched a ton of Effortless Swimming videos on YouTube, as I was a pretty bad swimmer.

Not a coach. Not a FOP Tri/swimmer/biker/runner. Barely a MOP AGer.
But I'm learning and making progress.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a similar background and 80/20 Triathlon (Fitzgerald /Warden) was great to get me across the finish line of multiple sprints and a 70.3 my first year of tri. I liked it so much I bought 80/20 Running and that has been great for me as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As others have already recommended, 80/20 is a good start.
What’s this person’s swimming like? Most of the people I work with come from a reasonable running background. I’ve found that the time it takes them to get comfortable with the swim distance for a sprint (even 400m for pool-based) is enough time for them to become competent on a bike. Not challenging for any podiums, but completing their first event.
A year seems like a long time for someone who already has a high enough level of general fitness, but I guess that depends on whether the goal is to compete or complete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is their goal?

Paying for coaching or even reading a book seems overkill for someone wanting to complete a sprint triathlon.

I would say they should talk to someone they know who has triathlon experience so they can get questions answered and be told things they might not think to ask about.

If they really enjoy reading and want to invest time right away in learning a lot, I would recommend The Triathlete's Training Bible by Joe Friel. Looks like Friel also has a book called Your First Triathlon that may be more approachable for a beginner.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
focus on the swim, they should be working to do double the distance of their race swim distance with confidence. the bike is just transportation from swim race to run race.
Quote Reply
Re: Good source for someone To go from running to a sprint triathlon In a year [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If this person can run a half marathon and knows how to swim and ride, he/she should be able to complete a sprint in <3 months. My experience is that a half marathon is at least as physically demanding as a sprint.

If that person doesn't know how to ride a bike or can't swim, different story.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's a book from Joel Friel called "your first Tri" or something like that. It was good enough for me, but depending on the ambitions it could be too simple.
Quote Reply
Re: Good source for someone To go from running to a sprint triathlon In a year [VegasJen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
VegasJen wrote:
If this person can run a half marathon and knows how to swim and ride, he/she should be able to complete a sprint in <3 months. My experience is that a half marathon is at least as physically demanding as a sprint.

If they can currently swim a km relatively comfortably, they could finish an ODTri next week on their current fitness.

A year's preparation for a sprint is massively overthinking it.
Quote Reply
Re: Good source for someone To go from running to a sprint triathlon In a year [satanellus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
satanellus wrote:
VegasJen wrote:

If they can currently swim a km relatively comfortably, they could finish an ODTri next week on their current fitness.

A year's preparation for a sprint is massively overthinking it.
Absolutely agree.

For anyone in any reasonable condition who can swim and ride a bike, a sprint triathlon should be little more than a really good workout.

My experience is the biggest challenge for first timers is not panicking at the start of the swim. The majority of people I've seen drop out of a tri (particularly a sprint) drop out within the first 200 meters of the swim.
Quote Reply
Re: Good source for someone To go from running to a sprint triathlon In a year [Sharkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sharkey wrote:
I have a similar background and 80/20 Triathlon (Fitzgerald /Warden) was great to get me across the finish line of multiple sprints and a 70.3 my first year of tri. I liked it so much I bought 80/20 Running and that has been great for me as well.

Doubly agree! Lots of great insight into tri training in general plus specific plans. I stick to the plans in the book, but their website has many more plans on it with options of consulting, which may be especially helpful with the transition.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey 👋 he/she could check out http://www.athletica.ai for adaptable training plan for sprint triathlon. For 20usd per month, can’t go wrong 👊🏻
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Re: Good source for someone To go from running to a sprint triathlon In a year [LEBoyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LEBoyd wrote:
When my son got me started in 2020, I went online and found an off-shelf plan and found a lot of articles and videos on transition, mentally preparing, nutrition, etc. I also watched a ton of Effortless Swimming videos on YouTube, as I was a pretty bad swimmer.
For someone new or who doesn't have a strong competitive swim background, the swim is often the hardest part of the first tri. I know my first tri, I got about 100m out in the lake and thought "holy hell, I don't know if I'm going to be able to do this." But I was a Marine and they beat the quit out of me.

For probably the first year to year and a half, my swim sucked. I could do the swim but I was very inefficient, very slow and spent a lot more energy than I needed. Then I started watching some technique videos on Youtube. I'm still not competitive fast, but I'm a middle-of-the-pack swimmer, and I can do that for a mile plus easily.

First thing is to get comfortable and not panic in the water. Second is practice efficiency. At least that's my advice. Worth every penny you're paying for it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As others have said - do they know how to swim? If not or if they don't do it regularly - the YMCA is a great place to start. 1/2 hour a few times a week.

Then get on the bike and ride a few times a week. Try to ride really hard.

Keep running, but run 5k a day rather than 13.1 ever so often.

A good amateur 1/2 marathon time is 1:20'ish? A good sprint is 1:0X so the effort should be a slight bit easier IF they know how to swim.
Quote Reply
Re: Good source for someone To go from running to a sprint triathlon In a year [VegasJen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
VegasJen wrote:
I know my first tri, I got about 100m out in the lake and thought "holy hell, I don't know if I'm going to be able to do this."

When I say I was bad, I mean bad. My first swim was slower than 3:30/100m and breathless after 50m. Within a few months I was able to swim long distances at 2:10/100m. Now I can swim 1:50/100m, which isn’t FOP but normally top 30%. Generally only swimming two, sometimes three, times a week with no more than 4000 m. I only wanted to get fast “enough”. I have a lot more work I need to do on the bike then the swim.

But I owe the improvement to Effortless Swimming videos.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Welcome to the tri world! I agree with watching Effortless Swim on YouTube if u don’t have a swim background. Maybe even take in their five day stroke challenge. Make sure before u race that u do some open water swimming. Important to feel comfortable in a lake before trying to swim with others in a triathlon.

Biking should be ez with ur running background but running off the bike is a totally different experience. Practice that also and get used to the switch from 20mph to 8mph. Sometimes hard to wrap ur mind around it and practice will help with that feeling of “I am running so slow”.

Maybe pick a super sprint tri with a shorter swim to get experience and also duathlons help with the race experience of bike/run transitions.

Good luck and have fun.
Quote Reply
Re: Good source for someone To go from running to a sprint triathlon In a year [PushPlay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PushPlay wrote:
Hey 👋 he/she could check out http://www.athletica.ai for adaptable training plan for sprint triathlon. For 20usd per month, can’t go wrong 👊🏻
In Reply To:

I use athletica for running and I'm a big fan as well. I found the cycling portion of their tri plans a bit aggressive for my liking, but it's my least favourite event.

If you want a book, find an old copy of SERIOUS Training for Endurance Athletes and you can build a plan quite easily.

Anyway, for a sprint if you can hammer the swim and run, you'll probably be in the top 5 to 10, so focus there.

Quote Reply
Re: Good source for someone To go from running to a sprint triathlon In a year [LEBoyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LEBoyd wrote:
VegasJen wrote:
I know my first tri, I got about 100m out in the lake and thought "holy hell, I don't know if I'm going to be able to do this."

When I say I was bad, I mean bad. My first swim was slower than 3:30/100m and breathless after 50m. Within a few months I was able to swim long distances at 2:10/100m. Now I can swim 1:50/100m, which isn’t FOP but normally top 30%. Generally only swimming two, sometimes three, times a week with no more than 4000 m. I only wanted to get fast “enough”. I have a lot more work I need to do on the bike then the swim.

But I owe the improvement to Effortless Swimming videos.
My problem is the availability of swim training. I live outside of Vegas so year-round pools are not readily accessible. We have a public pool here, but it's only open during the summer, and during the summer, I'm generally there 2-3 days a week. But that's only four months out of the year. The rest of the year I try to make it out to Lake Mead at least once every couple weeks, but that's nearly a 200 mile round trip just for some swim training. So I make do the best I can with what I have.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
VegasJen wrote:
My problem is the availability of swim training. I live outside of Vegas so year-round pools are not readily accessible. We have a public pool here, but it's only open during the summer, and during the summer, I'm generally there 2-3 days a week. But that's only four months out of the year. The rest of the year I try to make it out to Lake Mead at least once every couple weeks, but that's nearly a 200 mile round trip just for some swim training. So I make do the best I can with what I have.

That would definitely be difficult. I didn’t consider doing tri until I found a local county pool. Without that pool I would never have started.

Quote Reply
Re: Good source for someone To go from running to a sprint triathlon In a year [PushPlay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PushPlay wrote:
In Reply To:

you forgot hashtag...

#paidAvertisement
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LEBoyd wrote:
VegasJen wrote:

When I say I was bad, I mean bad. My first swim was slower than 3:30/100m and breathless after 50m.

Bad? That ain't bad. My first tri was back in '86 on the Marine Corps Air Station at Kaneohe Bay on Oahu. I followed all the tips, got there early to get a good spot for my bike in T1, rehearsed the route from the water to the bike, all that. Didn't matter one bit, as there was only one bike left in transition when I came out of the water.
Quote Reply
Re: Good source for someone To go from running to a sprint triathlon In a year [Mudge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
<hahahaha!> I hear you, brother! Maybe not the only bike left in T1 but I can generally count all the bikes left in T1 without taking my socks off.

(Semper Fi)
Quote Reply