Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Good Deal: Jamis bike with Di2 (not familiar with Di2, which is why I'm asking)
Quote | Reply
JensonUSA has a 2013 Jamis Xenith Endura Elite Di2 bike for $2300. That's 49% off list. I know Di2 is down in price but I'm not too familiar how this compares. Pricing on other websites seems across the board. It's a gravel grinder bike, which is what I want, and the stack and reach are in the range of what my fit requires. My LBS has a 2014 Specialized Roubaix SL4 with Rival for the same price (plus tax though). I have no problem ordering online given the geometry fits both bikes.

Any input? Thanks in advance.

Jamis Xenith Endura Elite Di2 Bike 2013 > Complete Bikes > Road Bikes | Jenson USA

Quote | Reply
Economist wrote:
JensonUSA has a 2013 Jamis Xenith Endura Elite Di2 bike for $2300. That's 49% off list. I know Di2 is down in price but I'm not too familiar how this compares. Pricing on other websites seems across the board. It's a gravel grinder bike, which is what I want, and the stack and reach are in the range of what my fit requires. My LBS has a 2014 Specialized Roubaix SL4 with Rival for the same price (plus tax though). I have no problem ordering online given the geometry fits both bikes.

Any input? Thanks in advance.

Jamis Xenith Endura Elite Di2 Bike 2013 > Complete Bikes > Road Bikes | Jenson USA

well this will beat Rival hands down. it's as simple as that. wheels suck though.
Quote Reply
Re: Good Deal: Jamis bike with Di2 (not familiar with Di2, which is why I'm asking) [Economist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just make sure you really understand what you are getting into potentially with electronic. I have two friends who still can't get all the kinks worked out and constantly have their bikes at the shop. That said I have a couple of pals who just LOVE it and would jump off a cliff b/f giving it up. One of my pals with issues had his RD stop shifting about 50 miles from home in the hills of north Georgia. I think they are on wiring harness number 3 on that one.
Quote Reply
Re: Good Deal: Jamis bike with Di2 (not familiar with Di2, which is why I'm asking) [Economist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seems like a nice bike and a great deal.

The only issues I have with it are, rim brakes and 10sp.

11sp is here and I'd be very hesitant to buy 10sp new right now.

For a gravel grinder, disc brakes would be very nice, and are the wave of the future.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's a pretty good deal. I'd snag one in a heartbeat if I didn't already have a road bike with Di2

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Re: Good Deal: Jamis bike with Di2 (not familiar with Di2, which is why I'm asking) [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
efernand wrote:

For a gravel grinder, disc brakes would be very nice, and are the wave of the future.

I'm actually looking for rim brakes because I have Flo 60's I put on for road riding and Gran Fondo I do. I also have Mavic wheels to replace the junk OEM wheels. The 11sp is not a selling point for me but I understand where you're coming from.

Quote | Reply
I'm 99% sure 10 speed Di2 can be upgraded to 11 speed with a firmware upgrade. All you'd have to buy is an 11 speed compatible wheel (if that one isn't) and a new cassette.
Quote Reply
Re: Good Deal: Jamis bike with Di2 (not familiar with Di2, which is why I'm asking) [ttusomeone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I'm 99% sure 10 speed Di2 can be upgraded to 11 speed with a firmware upgrade. All you'd have to buy is an 11 speed compatible wheel (if that one isn't) and a new cassette.
Unfortunately, this doesn't appear to be true. You needed at least a new rear derailleur, chain, and cassette, and now, it looks like Shimano "upgraded" the firmware so you would need a new front derailleur also. You can keep your shifters, battery and wiring though, which is nice.

http://fitwerx.com/converting-shimano-ultegra-6770-di2-to-11-speed

Quote Reply
Re: Good Deal: Jamis bike with Di2 (not familiar with Di2, which is why I'm asking) [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
efernand wrote:
Quote:

Unfortunately, this doesn't appear to be true. You needed at least a new rear derailleur, chain, and cassette, and now, it looks like Shimano "upgraded" the firmware so you would need a new front derailleur also. You can keep your shifters, battery and wiring though, which is nice.

The good folks at RBR also question if I should go with 10sp. They do all say it's a good deal on the bike, it's just the 10sp component. Given you guys say the same thing, I may have to reflect on that a bit.

Quote | Reply
efernand wrote:
Quote:

I'm glad I said I was only 99% sure. Good to know.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My one concern is where the battery is placed on the frame. You would definitely want to make sure the wire from the battery is tight to the frame so its doesn't snag. Its high enough you wont catch the wire while riding but in moving/storing the bike and/or getting in and off a bike rack that would be a real danger. Those cable are not cheap to replace and are obviously essential to how an electronic bike works.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
efernand wrote:

Thought a lot about the feedback here on 11sp and disc brakes and ended up pulling the lever on an Orbea Avant M30 disc spec'd with Ultegra 11sp. It clears 28mm tires so that will get me past my gravel grinder races (some saying they fit 30mm). It is also rim brake compatible thus when I do my Gran Fondo's, I could put my Flo 60's on the bike.

Downside: Wheels and Tires (wire bead) are HEAVY..which can only mean one thing: New wheels. :)

http://www.jensonusa.com/...t-M30-Disc-Bike-2014