Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Going from triathlete to single sport - did you miss it?
Quote | Reply
I am in the odd position of never having been a single sport athlete. I got into triathlon 6 years ago at age 25 essentially on a dare from a coworker. I started off with a sprint and bit the bug pretty hard. Within a year I was doing a 5-hour HIM and I eventually qualified for and did well at Vegas, got USAT All-American, and can get on the overall podium in local-ish HIMs like Beach-to-Battleship and MusselMan. I did a 10:06 at IM MT in 2012 and missed a Kona slot by 12 minutes. I couldn't do an Ironman in 2013, but this year I doubled-down and hired a "high end" coach, cleared my calendar, and went all-in on trying to KQ at Placid. And it blew up in my face - my coach (now ex coach) had me training waaaaayyyyy too hard and I was stupid enough to go along with it. He admitted his mistake but by the time we both realized it it was too late.

By June I was a mess, physically and psychologically, and my power and pace numbers all started to go in the wrong direction. I showed up at Placid a wet noodle and, well, I finished, but that's about all I can say. Thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours in the crapper. This season was all-in-all a rather disillusioning experience.

Strangely enough, throughout it all, I loved running. Running has always been my favorite part of triathlon - I always feel bad for people who say they hate running or describe it as painful. That must suck - like being allergic to chocolate or something. This leads me to believe I should consider saving my money, and sanity, and walk away from triathlon, at least for awhile, to just run, and maybe do ultrarunning. A 50-mile trail run sounds WAY more fun to me than an Ironman right now. In fact, it sounds more fun than just about anything!

I am obviously asking in the wrong place, but did you walk away from triathlon at any point? Did you come back? Did you miss it? A part of me says I will never be happy that I didn't get another shot at a KQ, but another part of me says no one gives a shit about UrsusMaximus KQ'ing besides UrsusMaximus.

Not looking for any particular advice - just wondering what others have done and how they felt about it. If you're still on here I am guessing you ended up coming back to triathlon, so there's clearly some selection bias here, but just curious what others have experienced.
Quote Reply
Re: Going from triathlete to single sport - did you miss it? [UrsusMaximus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did my first tri at the age of 17 and qualified for the worlds as a junior at 19. Unfortunately, I didn't have the support (money, coaching, etc.) to go to worlds and I have always regretted not being able to go.

I went to university drank beer, ate poutine and gained about 20-lbs. after i graduated I got back into it and started doing well again at oly and sprint distances. then kids came along and well, we know how that goes.

so about 3 years ago i started training again. last year I did my first HIM and first open marathon and this year I did my first IM and now I'm hooked again. kids are older. wife is supportive and the family loves it. they had a blast cheering me on and so we're going to do it all over again next year.

I do it for myself and for my family as it motivates them as well. I would love to KQ but as long as I can finish a race and be satisfied that I did the best I could, I'm happy.

i think its great that you can walk away and tri other things. that's the beauty of being fit and believing that you can do anything you want!! ironman or triathlon isn't going anywhere so live it up;)

And as far as what other think, that's a tough way to go through life so f'em!
Quote Reply
Re: Going from triathlete to single sport - did you miss it? [UrsusMaximus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triathlon is a great sport. But so to is swimming, biking and running. Even if triathlon was the only sport, why wouldn't one devote a couple of season (or years) to one or several of the other sports.
Maybe the greatest thing about triathlon is that time used on running, swimming of biking (as a single sport) can even be of benefit over the long run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why not just walk away from IM distance for a while? It's not the end-all, be-all.

I've semi-"retired" from tri these past 2 seasons, only been doing my monthly club sprints, and maybe 1-2 other local events, just for kicks.
It's a hobby, and if it's not fun anymore, why do it?

You can focus on running, do more/varied running events, etc, but still bike (and that other thing, what was it again?) as you feel like doing them too.

Tri will always be there. Life is too short to only do one thing for fun for all of it.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did that and didn't really miss competing in Triathlons. The expense and feeling like you have to be good at 3 sports turned it into a second job. After a few years of 50+ mike weeks of running non-stop, I'm recovering from a torn meniscus. To keep my sanity, I have to do a certain amount of exercise, so I'm going to do some Olympic tris and maybe one half. Whenever I get healed up and move back to a place with mountains and trails who knows what's next?

That's the nice thing about triathlon. It give you a base to move on to a lot of different directions, when you get burned out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you heard the joke about Try-athletes? Why strive to be good in just one sport when you can be mediocre in three? :-)

I hate running. So don't feel sorry for me. If I had started earlier I would have picked the bike as my only #1 and now as an old guy I see aquabike in my future.

Just follow you heart on this, stop beating yourself up and pick what you enjoy most and let the cards fall where they fall. In the big picture of life triathlon will not be paying your mortgage or your kids college education, so don't stress over it as you are.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes - and no.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I miss not having the Kona goal. Have not discovered a bike racing equivalent.
Quote Reply
Re: Going from triathlete to single sport - did you miss it? [PT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been in a slightly similar place. I went to Kona in 2003 when I was 29 and after that I gave up tris for 7 years, with all the time spent training over the preceding 15 years I just couldn't be bothered, add to that we had our first kid in 2005 meant I just didn't want to spend the time trying be crap at all 3 legs. I came into tris from a slight running background and had never been especially good on the bike (and I'm still not 10 years later) so I spent a few years just doing some short (mostly 40k, sometimes 80k) time trialling. Really enjoyed just focussing on one sport, given I was only prepared to spend 4-5 hours week training it made it a lot more enjoyable to do one thing quite well and actually see some improvement in my bike times compared to when I was doing tris. BTW I got the tri bug back in 2011 and did an IM in 2011 and another in 2013 (age 39). I'm now in retirement v2.0, I might make a comeback v3.0 at some time in the future. Do what you enjoy, I actually didn't miss having a break from tris and I enjoyed the comeback. You've got plenty of time to get back into tris.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did the most insane of all options and left tri for the one sport I disliked the most! Didn't start out that way I was just burned up and took a big break. Running had destroyed both my knees and back so badly I knew that was out, cycling in Florida is about as exciting as a glass of warm milk so I figured I'd see if I could not suck at swimming. Low and behold I have been at it nearly 4 years of swim only and like it as least as much as I ever did triathlon....even during my insane ultra days when I thought that was all I was ever going to do. I will say if I had to move away from the ocean and was lucky enough to be in say the Blue Ridge Mountain area again I'd have a garage full of bikes again:) That area was bike awesomeness.

Good luck. Maybe just shut it down for a couple of months and see what pulls at you? Maybe just go single sport for a year and see how good you can get and perhaps that will relight the fire to go back to tri?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hesitate to call myself a "triathlete". I started off as a swimmer, got burnt out and switched to triathlons and cycling, dabbled in some running for a year or 2, and now I'm back at just swimming and love it. I got reasonably good at triathlons (not great, but I did manage a 5:08 HIM and close to an hour for a sprint).

No, I don't really miss triathlons. But like I say, I'm not a "triathlete", I'm a swimmer who has done some triathlons. There is a huge difference in mentality between the sports, which I was never really able to bridge...

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swimmer as a kid, cyclist in college, started triathlon just after that. Did a bunch of races per year 2003 on, including a 140.6 in 2008..never really trained much swimming in all that. The 140.6 REALLY left me burned out on having training rule my life. Moved around a little bit, did a couple marathons, played around at sprints for a couple of years, no real commitment or training. Started swimming again in 2012 & remembered why I loved it - a few meets, one masters nationals, a large number of open water races - many 5k & 2x10mi swims later....I still love it. Have continued with a SMIDGE of running as it was still entertaining (each time remembering how I really don't like it all that much).

Signed up for CHOO because it was a good deal for the local teams. Have spent most of the summer remembering why I HATE letting training dictate my schedule. I LOVE all the friends I have in this sport & I enjoy the racing at the oly & maybe even HIM distance....but I really just dislike the time suck that is a true commitment to the IM distance & all the nit-picking & bitching that goes on with the type-A.

AW
Quote Reply
Re: Going from triathlete to single sport - did you miss it? [AWARE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I recently switched to cycling only *cyclocross* because It was the only emphasis of the sport that I woke up excited to train on. While I enjoy running and swimming, doing multiple workouts in a day to be competitive got to me, and I started to stress a lot when I would have more than 2 days off a single sport, which happened a lot.

My consistency for training wasn't there, I had 10-12 hours to train a week but I never was able to really get anywhere with my S/B/R. Now that I'm just cycling, I can dedicated 1-4 hours a day doing just that sport.

The cool thing is, once you get past 12 hours or so of cycling there's some benefit to cross training, so I always make it a priority to swim at least once a week to work my upper body and tax my cardiovascular system a different way.

I may end up going back to Triathlons here in a few years, but It would be nice to see how far I can push myself when I know that I can be consistent with my training.
Quote Reply