Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Goggles with a Big Field of Vision
Quote | Reply
I'm wondering what goggles people like that have a big field of vision? I have gone through probably 10+ goggles in the past 5 years, and have only found the Xterra Velocity goggles to be sufficient for my preferences.

I've tried out so many - Roka, the Magic5, and FORM to name a few. The field of vision is far too narrow for my liking and makes me somewhat dizzy - I've also experienced a lot of goggles leaking as well. The Xterra Velocity are literally the only ones I've liked.

I'm wondering if people with preferences similar to mine have found other goggles to also meet their requirements. I've also considered the following:

Orca Killa 180
Speedo Biofuse 2.0 Mirrored Goggle
Speedo Fastskin VZR Pure Focus Goggles
Zone 3 Volare Streamline Racing Swim Goggles
Quote Reply
Re: Goggles with a Big Field of Vision [AZDesert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know you said you tried Roka but I recently discovered and fell in love with the Roka X1 which is an enormous goggle. Sadly it looks like they're out of the game now, but if you can find a pair they're well worth trying.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Goggles with curved lenses are good for peripheral. Do some research on the arena cobra core and cobra ultra swipe. They give me great vision, which don’t give me the claustrophobic feeling. Anti fog is excellent too. Or go a speedo hydropulse as it has big curved lense but I don’t know about the anti fog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aquasphere Kayenne or Kayenne Pro would be ones to try (very similar to the Xterras). The extreme solution is a swim mask like the Aquasphere Seal or Vista; or the TYR Rogue.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Goggles with a Big Field of Vision [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
Aquasphere Kayenne or Kayenne Pro would be ones to try (very similar to the Xterras). The extreme solution is a swim mask like the Aquasphere Seal or Vista; or the TYR Rogue.

I second the Kayenne Pro. Stuck with these for the past 5+ years now. Their field of vision is great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love the Zone 3 Vapour and Venator-X goggles. You are looking at more of a racing one with what you have linked for Zone 3.
The field of view is fantastic and hardly ever have issues with leakage.
https://zone3.com/...riant=42321482154157

https://zone3.com/...riant=42321487429805
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
By chance after years of success with the original Speedo BioFuse, I've had to change as the BioFuse2.0 just doesn't work for me.

And I've just got back from 10 days of ocean swimming and had absolute joy with the Finz Ocean King. Lovel comfy rubber gasket for the eyes, no steaming up or leaking at all (was doing 1 hour swims in medium choppy conditions) and was able to be fully distracted by the turtles and myriad of fish.

I've never had Finz goggle before, but will also be trying some for the pool. Love that although it looks like the bridge is set width, then there is a hidden adjustable bridge - which is what I need to get the fit and why the new biofuse doesn't work as well for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is the context of your requirement for a wide range of vision? Just looking around the lanes as you swim? Sighting in OWS?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love the TYR Nest Pro goggles. Get mine from amazon. Dark ones are about $15 or so and the clear are $23-24.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Form goggles are the best!
Quote Reply
Re: Goggles with a Big Field of Vision [140triguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
140triguy wrote:
What is the context of your requirement for a wide range of vision? Just looking around the lanes as you swim? Sighting in OWS?

For pool training/races and ocean training/OWS/Tri I use the same goggles just different tint (Arena Cobra Ultra). I've never seen the need for a bigger field of vision.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another vote for aquasphere kayenne
Quote Reply
Re: Goggles with a Big Field of Vision [140triguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
140triguy wrote:

I was wondering the same thing.

When I'm swimming in the pool all I need to see is the black line at the bottom and the mark on the wall to turn.

When I'm swimming open water, it's rare that I can see anything past 3 feet in front of me when my head is in the water; when I pick my head up to sight, it's for a half second to confirm where the buoys are. I'm not looking around at competitors because I can feel them around me.

So what's the need for a Big Field of Vision? I must be missing something that other people need.
Quote Reply
Re: Goggles with a Big Field of Vision [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I was wondering the same thing.

When I'm swimming in the pool all I need to see is the black line at the bottom and the mark on the wall to turn.

When I'm swimming open water, it's rare that I can see anything past 3 feet in front of me when my head is in the water; when I pick my head up to sight, it's for a half second to confirm where the buoys are. I'm not looking around at competitors because I can feel them around me.

So what's the need for a Big Field of Vision? I must be missing something that other people need.

Everything here is what I think and experience, as well. I'd add that it doesn't take that much to see competitors or training partners in OWS: just the splashes and kicks are enough to see them. I think that lots of people worry that they'll instantly make a 90 degree turn and go helplessly off-line in seconds during OWS if they don't have a wide RoV. It's probably spurred on by advertising from some goggle retailers. OWS can be choppy in the best of conditions, and we're going to be pickup up our heads to sight very often anyway, so there's really no need to have bay windows for goggles that promise a big, unrestricted view.

In my years of training and racing in OWS, I've always gone out with smaller, "in-socket" goggles like Swedish or Hind Compy. When I tried bigger goggles, I was still picking up my head to sight with the same frequency as before.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Goggles with a Big Field of Vision [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
in OWS all I need to see is 1 foot in front to bubbles and feet
Quote Reply