Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Giro Selector at Kona
Quote | Reply
When I was scrolling through the pro bike pictures, I noticed something interesting. It looked like at least 3-4 pros were riding with the Giro Selector helmet. Considering that almost everything I've heard about that helmet is that it gets incredibly hot, especially over an Ironman, why do you think several of the pros ride it at Kona, one of the hottest races around? Maybe it's not as hot as people say or us mortals don't ride fast enough to get the full cooling benefit.

If people can see you from the front you're not aero enough.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Selector at Kona [cclamtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In God We Trust. All Others Bring Data.

I've never seen anyone publish anything indicating that the Selector gets less airflow than any other comparable helmet. My experience with Ironman is that people like to blame everything on equipment as opposed to inadequate preparation and stupid pacing. What I think the use of it by quite a few top pros who finished quite well shows is that, yet again, the plural of anecdote is not data...

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While I have heard many times that aero helmets in general result in additional heat, I believe that studies have shown no appreciable measured increase.

Ironman Certified Coach

Currently accepting limited number of new athletes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to ride a Giro selector, and I rod it on several really warm days - I never had an issue with overheating.

On some of the really hot days, I did drop a lot more sweat with the visor in place, but I never overheated.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Selector at Kona [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
In God We Trust. All Others Bring Data.

Six Sigma has now hit Slowtwitch. Now if we can get everyone through Dale Carnegie training, we could all get along.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used the selector in kona without any issues. There is always plenty of wind there to keep you cool! ;-)

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Selector at Kona [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
My experience with Ironman is that people like to blame everything on equipment as opposed to inadequate preparation and stupid pacing.

YEP!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only real issue I have with the Selector is that your hearing is impaired due to the plastic flaps that cover your ears. Sounds are sort of echo-y. This wouldn't really affect your race results though.
Quote Reply