Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Giro Air Attack vs Specialized S-works Evade [SurfingLamb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SurfingLamb wrote:
AA with the visor (flipped or not) is almost universally slower than the AA without from the tests I've seen (and it's a bunch as I was trying to justify my regret on getting the helmet).

The Catlike Maxino Aero gets really good results from what I've seen though.

I'd love to see these tests. Giro said there's minimal difference too, but I always like to see data. I just got my AA w/ visor and it's been fine for road rides, though I'll still use my Aeon for hot days and dedicated TT helmet for TT's. Admittedly, I like the Evade better but my team gets a deal from Giro. I'm glad there isn't much difference between the two.

---
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Air Attack vs Specialized S-works Evade [SurfingLamb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SurfingLamb wrote:
AA with the visor (flipped or not) is almost universally slower than the AA without from the tests I've seen (and it's a bunch as I was trying to justify my regret on getting the helmet).

Interesting. I first bought the AA without visor and regretted it so much I just bought the AA with visor. Just last weekend I was on a downhill section and I could swear I felt a huge drag from the visor I didn't feel from my non-visor AA. If I looked straight down, I didn't feel the drag, but I needed to see where I was going.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Air Attack vs Specialized S-works Evade [karlw2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
karlw2000 wrote:
SurfingLamb wrote:

Interesting. I first bought the AA without visor and regretted it so much I just bought the AA with visor. Just last weekend I was on a downhill section and I could swear I felt a huge drag from the visor I didn't feel from my non-visor AA. If I looked straight down, I didn't feel the drag, but I needed to see where I was going.

I used the AA on an 80 mile ride yesterday. Boy, the wind comes up under that shield and pummels your eyes constantly. Other than that, very comfy, fits great, and has decent (not great) ventilation.

It was super windy out yesterday, too. I was worried the strong winds would rip off the shield, but it held strong.

I could hear the wind coming through the vents in the shield, though. That may be too much drag for some of you aero weenies. :P

I'd rate this helmet a B+ based off that experience. Eyes were bloodshot from the constant wind, but I think that part of the reason for that was the combo of air and pollen constantly bombarding eyes.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Air Attack vs Specialized S-works Evade [d00d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You think that helmet is uglier than a "normal" aero helmet? I think they look like a fashion model compared to the normal aero helmets.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Air Attack vs Specialized S-works Evade [cannastar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if its uncomfortable, nothing you can't fix with the back of a spoon to round off some of the foam edges inside...
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Air Attack vs Specialized S-works Evade [arby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
arby wrote:
You think that helmet is uglier than a "normal" aero helmet? I think they look like a fashion model compared to the normal aero helmets.

I like the look. To me, it looks tough.

I wouldn't t wear it for an HIM or IM, though. I'll go aero helmet or Course/Evade.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
d00d wrote:
I used the AA on an 80 mile ride yesterday. Boy, the wind comes up under that shield and pummels your eyes constantly. Other than that, very comfy, fits great, and has decent (not great) ventilation.

It was super windy out yesterday, too. I was worried the strong winds would rip off the shield, but it held strong.

I could hear the wind coming through the vents in the shield, though. That may be too much drag for some of you aero weenies. :P

I'd rate this helmet a B+ based off that experience. Eyes were bloodshot from the constant wind, but I think that part of the reason for that was the combo of air and pollen constantly bombarding eyes.

I used the AA last weekend for a 106 miler with a fair amount of climbing (9500'). I didn't have the same problem with the shield. I had it stowed in the 'up' position at the start of the ride since it was dark, then as it got light out I flipped it over. On the descents, I didn't feel an huge amount of wind on my eyes that I remember. Definitely less air flow than my standard road helmet overall though. I was also worried the shield was going to fly off but it stayed put. If I put my head down the air flow through the top of the helmet was great but you can't ride very long like that.

---
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
d00d wrote:
karlw2000 wrote:
SurfingLamb wrote:

Try rotating the helmet a little farther forward on you head so the shield comes down closer to you face. The "regular" fit for me has the edges of the shield very close to my cheeks, so there is no eye irritation. I did notice that air gets under the shield if I slide the helmet back on my head.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Air Attack vs Specialized S-works Evade [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just used an Air Attack w/ Shield for IM Oceanside 70.3

I wear prescription glasses and I love that I can still wear them under the shield. The shield's tint makes it more like I am wearing sunglasses without having to actually get prescription sunglasses.

The shield has also taken a few rocks from other cyclists in training rides that would have otherwise hit me in the face or glasses, possibly causing injury or a very expensive trip to the optometrist.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Strange, because what I notice with the AA is that the shield protects my eyes from wind better than my usual sunglasses do. This has been so in cross-winds up to 25 mph. I've used it for hot and cold short rides and IM in 70 degrees, and it was a champ.

I still think the Evade is cooler, literally and figuratively. It just wasn't on the market yet when I bought the AA. Evade is supposed to be quiet, too, though I find the AA quiet compared to a standard training helmet.

<The Dew Abides>
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Air Attack vs Specialized S-works Evade [dewman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Evade wasn't around when I bought the Air Attack, but if it was I would have gone with the Evade because I think it's looks better.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Air Attack vs Specialized S-works Evade [Perseus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
looks win out, makes sense
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Air Attack vs Specialized S-works Evade [Perseus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perseus wrote:
The Evade wasn't around when I bought the Air Attack, but if it was I would have gone with the Evade because I think it's looks better.

I got the AA at a super discount through my team, otherwise I probably would have gone with the Evade too - or just kept using my standard road helmet. I like the looks better. That said, the AA has been growing on me a lot since I've been watching the track world's (getting caught up on the DVR...). Lots of AA's on the track, no Evades.

---
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Air Attack vs Specialized S-works Evade [MonkeyClaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is this why it is tough to find an Evade in stores or on-line right now?

http://www.recalls.gov.au/...phtml/itemId/1055089
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Air Attack vs Specialized S-works Evade [trekker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think so because that was months ago. It has been my experience that Specialized has a hard time meeting demand on new products because they are dependent on the companies that actually make the product. Let's face it, these manufacturers are making stuff for probably 10 different companies, so it isn't easy to increase production.

I find it annoying though when they spread to construction across different companies, probably in an effort to save money. For example, the 400$ S-works shoes are made in Taiwan, but the insoles come from China. It rubbed me the wrong way to spend big bucks on the shoes and then have to wait 3 months for insoles to get them to fit properly.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Air Attack vs Specialized S-works Evade [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I spoke with Specialized yesterday and they said they are due in any day. I asked about the delays and was told it was a mixture of poor forecasting and also some manufacturing changes.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Air Attack vs Specialized S-works Evade [loutriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
loutriguy wrote:
I spoke with Specialized yesterday and they said they are due in any day. I asked about the delays and was told it was a mixture of poor forecasting and also some manufacturing changes.

Many companies are running pretty tight forecasting, especially for new or niche products. Its better to make many products and sell out than to make more products and end up with surplus.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Air Attack vs Specialized S-works Evade [winchester] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you anticipate any head to head data?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It rubbed me the wrong way to spend big bucks on the shoes and then have to wait 3 months for insoles to get them to fit properly.

Indeed, that is frustrating.

I know that insoles are a pretty individual fit thing, but the the after-market insole market has lots of choices and is very competitive. Surely you could have found something that would have worked well in your Specialized shoes - perhaps even better than the Specialized insoles. Although the Specialized insoles are pretty good.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Air Attack vs Specialized S-works Evade [Ex-cyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Of course, it differs from melon to melon. If you'll remember, the aeon (my baseline helmet) outperformed the evade and several others for me. I've often wondered since the camp if the fact that it is so much more comfortable affected my head position. I may never know why I got those results, but I know I won't be buying a different aero road helmet any time soon.

Coach Brain: Accelerate 3 ; Incoherent Ramblings
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's been my experience as well. Have to have the bottom of visor near the surface of cheek to prevent the air from getting sucked under around eyes. I really like the AA shield and the fit. Hopefully it provides enough ventilation in July Texas heat.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Air Attack vs Specialized S-works Evade [matt75] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the evade seems to be out of stock everywhere.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Air Attack vs Specialized S-works Evade [winchester] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got a call from my LBS saying he has received 3 Evades in so far this week. I know 2 were all white. I ordered the white and red one but he offered me the all white one. Im going tomorrow to check it out.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Air Attack vs Specialized S-works Evade [loutriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
loutriguy wrote:
Got a call from my LBS saying he has received 3 Evades in so far this week. I know 2 were all white. I ordered the white and red one but he offered me the all white one. Im going tomorrow to check it out.

I got mine late last week after my shop has been waiting for 4 months.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Air Attack vs Specialized S-works Evade [PeteDin206] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PeteDin206 wrote:
loutriguy wrote:

I got mine late last week after my shop has been waiting for 4 months.
what color did you get? How do you like it?
Quote Reply

Prev Next