Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Getting to the Start Line is a Victory: Kona Pre Race Thoughts
Quote | Reply
The team at xtri.com posted a short piece that I put together while eating Thai food the day before the race in Kona, next door to Lava Java (this place is likely the best food in Kona...)

http://www.xtri.com/article.asp?id=1883

As a follow up, my friend Jean Lacroix, who broke his pelvis training race week in a crash, was out on his crutches all day cheering the racers on. Jean, buddy, one day, you'll have your day on the big Island!

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Getting to the Start Line is a Victory: Kona Pre Race Thoughts [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i read this on the xtri site earlier today. Great article. You gave me hope to keep my Kona dream alive.

Nicely done.....and thanks for sharing your experience.

my twitter feed
Quote Reply
Re: Getting to the Start Line is a Victory: Kona Pre Race Thoughts [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
QUOTE OF THE DAY:

If you have a dream to get here, you can do it. It may take time, and it might not happen the way you expect it to, but sometimes it happens when it is meant to.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That freaking Queen K is dangerous except on race day. I was a hair from getting taken out there a couple years ago so now I only do one very short ride race week to make sure my bike works, otherwise best to stay off the road. Too many people, too few roads.

Although I love biking I often feel it's just a matter of time before some idiot nails me, I know too many people who have been hit and hurt bad, luckily no deaths.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very nice article.

Well done.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
okay. maybe it's partly PMS, but your article just brought tears to my eyes....very inspiring!

imom
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Dev,

My wife and I ( Thai food fanatics , living in Singapore and frequent visitors of thand of smiles ! ) ate there a couple of times last year and were quite impressed. It is actually Thai owned if I recall correctly.

Incidentally , on the one night , Juergen Zach was at the next table , apparently he eats there all the time.

Cheers , rest well !

"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream" - Les Brown
"Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment" - Jim Rohn
Quote Reply
Re: Getting to the Start Line is a Victory: Kona Pre Race Thoughts [slick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slick, last year, I had a head on collision with a van that pulled out to pass a driver in front of him and did not see me. I had knowhere to go, and in an act of self preservation, I went straight up. Imagine trying to bunnyhop a van heading at your head. Anyway, my time in military vaulting shows paid off. I got my entire body just above the grills of the van, hit the windsheild, and rolled over the top, and landed on the other side on my feet. My Guru trilite was snapped in half. All I ended up with was cuts to my legs, but nothing broken, and miraculously nothing sprained. Sometimes you just have luck. A trip to the hospital in the back of an ambulance and ensuing Xrays revealed that I was fine (I knew it, but the medics did not believe it due to snapped bike and lots of spilled blood). This is an example of luck being on your side. Conversely, my friend Jean hit one of those big reflectors in the ground, with cars around and a cross wind and somehow lost control and hit the deck on the Queen K.

You are right, if you ride enough, it is not a matter of if, but when. They say there are only 2 types of riders...those that have been hit, and those that will be hit. Until I check in my bike the nite before an Ironman, I am keenly aware that you're never done until you check the bike in...in fact, you actually aren't done until you pull back into T2. After that, at least you are back on your feet!

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Holy crap! You are damn lucky to still be with us. You must have cat like reflexes. I've gone down hard three times, one car, one dog, one me being a dumb ass. Luckily all I got out of those was a third degree AC separation when I hit the dog but it could have been worse. a lot worse.

I'm thinking of switching main sports and working on my tennis game.
Quote Reply