Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Getting to the NYC Marathon from Jersey
Quote | Reply
Anyone familiar with the logistics for getting to the start of the NYC marathon from New Jersey? I'd be coming from the Millburn/Summit area. As I see it I have two options.

1. Get a ride to the Meadowlands at 5 a.m. I'd arrive there around 5:30 and figure on getting to a bus by 5:45. It's an hour ride to the start so I'd get there around 6:45. Wave 1 corral opens at 8:20 and closes at 8:55 so I'm looking at around 2 hours of waiting before hitting the corral.

2. I have a friend that is willing to drive to the start. Early in the morning it's a 30 minute drive over the Goethals and along the Staten Island Expressway to the start. From the marathon website it looks like there is a drop off point 1/2 mile from the corrals. That would be perfect for a 7:45'ish arrival (7:15 departure) EXCEPT, I also read that the Staten Island Expressway closes at 6:45. If that is both directions, then I'd have to be dropped off by 6:30 so my friend can get back to the bridge before the expressway closes. That means leaving around 6:00. not a huge savings over the Meadowlands option.

Does anyone know the logistics of the Staten Island Expressway closure? Is it both directions? Can we skirt the expressway and take backroads there while still making reasonable progress? When does it reopen (my friend will have to get off the island)?

Any help is appreciated.

-------------------------
Trek Madone 5.9SL
Felt B12 (sold)
Quote Reply
Re: Getting to the NYC Marathon from Jersey [SCOTTinNJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You might have some issues, you need to log into your nyc marathon account and let them know how you are getting to the start, but I'm pretty sure they wanted to know by now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in Verona, so pretty close to where you'll be leaving from. I'm not racing NYC this year, but a couple years ago I had my daughter drop me at the Meadowlands...super easy and stress free! There are some other local options as well: Fleet Feet in Montclair, along with the Essex County Running Club, organized a bus to drive locals one year. Check with them and/or the Sneaker Factory...they might have some helpful hints...good luck and enjoy!
Quote Reply
Re: Getting to the NYC Marathon from Jersey [stupidflanders] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stupidflanders wrote:
You might have some issues, you need to log into your nyc marathon account and let them know how you are getting to the start, but I'm pretty sure they wanted to know by now.

Yes. I already chose the Meadowlands bus. I am pretty certain if I drive to the start I can find my way to a corral without issue. I understand that I could not, for example, hop on the officially ferry from Manhattan without having signed up for that.

Trek Madone 5.9SL
Felt B12 (sold)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been dropped off and dropped off people. The expressway closes, but only on the approach leading to Brooklyn, so if you are heading back to jersey, the road is not closed. You get stuck in traffic as you get close, but it is completely do-able, easy, and gets you 1 or 2 or 3 extra hours in bed. So you drive up to the staging area, you get stuck in some rough traffic as you approach, the driver lets you out and you walk a couple of blocks to the start and everyone else is already there and punchy. And your driver turns around and leaves pretty easily. I approached from Hoboken and the Bayonne Bridge. dont forget there are three bridges off the island. And I got dropped off both times fairly close to road closing time.
Quote Reply
Re: Getting to the NYC Marathon from Jersey [aloys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aloys wrote:
I have been dropped off and dropped off people. The expressway closes, but only on the approach leading to Brooklyn, so if you are heading back to jersey, the road is not closed. You get stuck in traffic as you get close, but it is completely do-able, easy, and gets you 1 or 2 or 3 extra hours in bed. So you drive up to the staging area, you get stuck in some rough traffic as you approach, the driver lets you out and you walk a couple of blocks to the start and everyone else is already there and punchy. And your driver turns around and leaves pretty easily. I approached from Hoboken and the Bayonne Bridge. dont forget there are three bridges off the island. And I got dropped off both times fairly close to road closing time.

Thank you! So you think I'd have to be dropped off by 6:45/7:00? I don't mind walking up to the start even if it's a mile. If that saves me 2 hours of sitting in the cold.

Trek Madone 5.9SL
Felt B12 (sold)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did the race last year and lived on Staten Island for years but am in Jersey now. I got droppped off last year near the end of Father Capadanno Blvd which runs under the expressway and is a drop off point. Im not exatley sure what time i was there i would say around 630ish, not matter what you do i would say your going to have to wait at least an hour and half before start...there is no GREAT option. The expressway is open going back to Jersey and if you want to avoid the expressway all together you can. Just get off an ealier exit Slosson Rd or the one after that (i forget the name) and get to Father Capadano blvd....follow that all the way around to the drop off. It takes some local rds to get there but at that time there will be no traffic at all and add minimal time to just taking the expressway straight and hitting the marathon traffic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The one thing I cant remember is what time I got dropped off. The bridge closes at 645, and when I last did this in 2010 it was closing at 7. I want to say I probably got dropped off at 615-630. I would say 7 is too close because you dont want to get stuck in the traffic from the closure at 7 and you are 5 miles from the start.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Isn't Staten Island IN New Jersey?

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SCOTTinNJ wrote:
I understand that I could not, for example, hop on the officially ferry from Manhattan without having signed up for that.

I'm not sure that's true. I think anyone can jump on the SIF. I did the race in 2009 and there was no verification process to confirm that people signed up for the ferry. Things may have changed but I doubt it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you can always grab a ferry slot at the expo and get on a ferry at a different time. The ferry service is free to the public so they dont check bibs as to which ferry you are suppose to be on and whether you can take the ferry or not.
Quote Reply
Re: Getting to the NYC Marathon from Jersey [cjbruin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cjbruin wrote:
SCOTTinNJ wrote:
I understand that I could not, for example, hop on the officially ferry from Manhattan without having signed up for that.

I'm not sure that's true. I think anyone can jump on the SIF. I did the race in 2009 and there was no verification process to confirm that people signed up for the ferry. Things may have changed but I doubt it.

True or not the ferry would be even a worse option for me!

Looks like a certainty that I'm going to get a ride in with a friend. Only question is what time to get dropped off.

I have someone that's done the race 3 times before telling me they get dropped off around 9:00 and just make the race start. I'm in the first wave (corral opens 8:20 and closes 8:55) so that's not going to work. But sounds promising for an arrival after the road closes.

Either way, even if I can get dropped off around 6:45 I'd only have to stand around for an hour and a half before heading toward the corral. That sounds much better than the bus option.

Trek Madone 5.9SL
Felt B12 (sold)
Last edited by: SCOTTinNJ: Oct 18, 14 15:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what did you end up doing?
Quote Reply
Re: Getting to the NYC Marathon from Jersey [aloys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wanted to add my experience this past weekend as I found this tread helpful in my planning. Traffic to Fort Wadsworth was minimal. I stayed off the Staten Island express and took Father Capodanno as suggested in a previous post and had no issues at all. I was in Wave 3, with a start time of 10:40, and got there at 7:45am (left Holmdel at 7)with plenty of time to spare. If I was going to do it again, I would have planned to arrive at 9am.
Quote Reply