Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Gears sticking...Chain KEEPS dropping
Quote | Reply
I don't know what to do about my bike. I've taken it to the shop several times and they can't seem to fix it. They basically told me...I bought a piece of crap. "I mean...it's a Fuji...not quite a Walmart/target bike...but not much up from it". My dilemma...I'm currently training for my first Half Ironman, which is 50 days away (but who's counting?!?!)...I'm really not in position to purchase a new bike...would replacing the front ring help? They guy at the bike store didn't offer that as a solution...he just told me that the front ring on my bike is not designed well...and that there was basically nothing he could do to fix it. The problem is not only that the chain drops...but also that the it gets stuck in big ring, won't drop to the middle ring (i have 3 rings) and at times just drops. It makes me nervous to climb hills...or change my front gears at all.
Should I just try to stay in the middle ring (which would KILL me on the hills) or attempt to have it replace?
All feedback will be GREATLY appreciated!!

Bike Specs: 2012 Fuji Finest 2.0 Road Bike - http://www.performancebike.com/...mp;pgGrp=&itemId=

Thanks

http://www.fitmomma.me
http://www.facebook.com/4fitmommas
Last edited by: fitmomma0722: Aug 9, 14 12:17
Quote Reply
Re: Gears sticking...Chain KEEPS dropping [fitmomma0722] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My suggestion, find a competent mechanic. Even a middle of the road groupset should function properly.

Good luck!

Quote Reply
Re: Gears sticking...Chain KEEPS dropping [HOWSER] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where might one find a "competent mechanic"? Sorry...I'm totally new to all this. Wouldn't my bike have one?

Quote Reply
Re: Gears sticking...Chain KEEPS dropping [HOWSER] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HOWSER wrote:
My suggestion, find a competent mechanic. Even a middle of the road groupset should function properly.

Good luck!

^ This x2

Can't imagine many reasons why the bike couldn't function at least as well as it did when you bought it. If the shop you're dealing with can't get it to work, then try another one with a respected staff of mechanics. If you tell us where you're located, you'll probably get a recommendation.

If once you have a second opinion it turns out that there is something broken/wrong with your front rings, the worst case is you could replace the front crankset without breaking the bank.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That bike should work just fine. Are you dropping to the inside (towards the frame) or to the outside?

Where are you from? I know someone here can suggest a shop.

You may need a few parts, maybe something needs adjusting, maybe something is broken but just about anything is fixable.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You'd think that your LBS would have one.

Try another shop, tell them what the previous place offered. One would think that a good mechanic could look at the issue and diagnose it visually without even charging you. This isn't rocket science.

Maybe post your location and someone can suggest a shop for you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
where are you at? I third finding a better shop. At the shop I work at that would be no problem to fix. Worth driving to the next town.

USAC, Health and Nutrition Coach
http://www.echelonhealthcoaching.com
use code SLOWTWITCH for %15 off
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+X on getting a good mechanic to take a look at the bike.

Another issue could be user error: shifting under power, shifting front and rear derailleurs at the same time, running high chain angles (big/big or small/small) can all make for crap shifting.

Another issue can be improperly sized, dirty, and/or worn out chain can also result in crap shifting.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like it could be a few things.

Estimating your mechanical skills you will probably need someone (a mechanic or friend who knows what they're doing) to do the adjustments.

The front derailleur may be improperly adjusted height wise. Also, the high and low stops need to be checked in regard to the chain dropping. Very possible the set screw has moved allowing the Front Derailleur to go to far, thus dropping the chain.

The Front shift cable could very likely be getting stuck, and when you drop from big ring down to middle it doesn't go, so you shift again, and when it does go it goes too far. This seems pretty likely. Or similarly the front derailleurs spring could be getting weak or is so gunked up there isn't enough tension to pull it back to the small ring.

Or you shifter could be worn out and need of replacing.

Your chain could easily be worn out and causing all of this as well.

Go get it looked at by someone competent.

"4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul"
Quote Reply
Re: Gears sticking...Chain KEEPS dropping [tri-tele] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri-tele wrote:
Another issue could be user error: shifting under power, shifting front and rear derailleurs at the same time, [..]

Since when is it not OK to shift front and rear at the same time? Depending on setup you need to do this every time you switch from small to big ring and vice-versa to compensate for what would otherwise be too big a gear-jump. A properly configured setup can definitely handle this...

if you can read this
YOU'RE DRAFTING!
Quote Reply
Re: Gears sticking...Chain KEEPS dropping [flogazo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tends to be bad practice. better to shift one and then the other. trying to do both simultaneously is asking for a dropped chain.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tri-tele wrote:
tends to be bad practice. better to shift one and then the other. trying to do both simultaneously is asking for a dropped chain.

Agree. I always try to shift the rear towards the center of the cassette before shifting the front, then shift the rear to get the final ratio I want. Just takes a couple of seconds, but is a lot less like to drop a chain.

Mark
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why do I have a sneaking suspicion that the drivetrain is extremely dirty… Keeping things clean and lubed will go a long way towards improving day-to-day shifting performance.

I also agree on finding a solid mechanic. It sounds like things need to be adjusted too. Get recommendations from locals on a solid, unpretentious shop.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone...could very well be user error...as I'm definitely a newbie. I'm located in Owings Mills, Maryland. I took my bike to Race Pace...in Owings Mills.

Quote Reply
Re: Gears sticking...Chain KEEPS dropping [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pooks wrote:
Why do I have a sneaking suspicion that the drivetrain is extremely dirty… Keeping things clean and lubed will go a long way towards improving day-to-day shifting performance.

I also agree on finding a solid mechanic. It sounds like things need to be adjusted too. Get recommendations from locals on a solid, unpretentious shop.

That was my first thought as well. After getting into mountain biking, it's astonishing to find how much a clean drivetrain matters.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I sent the bike shop's FB page a congratulations for being mentioned on ST.

They "liked" my post.....

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is nothing that a screwdriver and 10 minutes on Youtube can't fix.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe you can post a video here and perhaps what is wrong will
be obvious and we can help you.

If you have a trainer and somebody who can video a close up that could help.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Gears sticking...Chain KEEPS dropping [pattersonpaul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pattersonpaul wrote:

:-O Oh no...I saw it and their response. I was definitely NOT bashing them...I love the store...I didn't see it as them being the issue. But I guess from after what you all are saying...maybe they didn't proper diagnose it? Or make a better attempt to fix it...I mean, he did basically say...it is what it is...due to the fact that it's a Fuji. :-\ Oh well...wasn't trying to bash them but I guess they could have done more. :-\

Quote Reply
Re: Gears sticking...Chain KEEPS dropping [pattersonpaul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pattersonpaul wrote:

That was uncool.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I sense a bit of negative bias towards Fuji on the part of your LBS. My wife has that same bike. (Definitely a step up from the typical Walmart or K-mart bike) And hers works great. The components are mid-level and, like any name brand parts, if properly adjusted, should work fine....

Remember Luddites are people too...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What I find funny is they are dissing fuji... A frame manufacturer. When it's the shimano components that affect shifting. Don't ever recall a frame causing shift issues :) that said shimano sora does kind of suck and an upgrade in components or a new bike might be a good solution to some woes down the road ... but for now it should definitely be resolved with more than a shoulder shrug from a lazy shop.

"4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul"
Quote Reply
Re: Gears sticking...Chain KEEPS dropping [warwicke36] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
warwicke36 wrote:
What I find funny is they are dissing fuji... A frame manufacturer. When it's the shimano components that affect shifting. Don't ever recall a frame causing shift issues :) that said shimano sora does kind of suck and an upgrade in components or a new bike might be a good solution to some woes down the road ... but for now it should definitely be resolved with more than a shoulder shrug from a lazy shop.

There is zero reason a competent wrench couldn't get Sora purring like a kitten. It's all the same - just cheaper/heavier materials in the lower level grouppos.
And blaming the frame - "it's only a Fuji" - is the worst copout of all.
The F derailleur doesn't know what frame it's on, and it wouldn't work any better (or worse) on a Trek, or a Pinarello.
(But it would be a travesty to run Sora on a Pina :-0 )

Find a competent LBS, you'll be fine.
Or search YouTube, and DIY.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: Gears sticking...Chain KEEPS dropping [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a five year old road bike with Sora and a triple up front. I have adjusted the front derailleur all of zero times and have never had an issue. Most of my riding is on the tri bike but the road bike still has lots of miles and spent lots of time as a daily commuter.

There are plenty of reasons I would like to upgrade from sora, but reliability / performance does not even register on the list.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From your description I would say your front derailleur is too far out, probably just need to tighten the cable tension a bit, and bring the outer limit screw in a bit. It probably seems to drop down randomly because you have forgotten that you changed down on the lever, because the chain was so slow to react. To answer your specific questions; Don't stay in the middle ring, get the gears set up properly, and like others have said that means finding someone other than the person doing it for you now. And don't replace anything, just refer to previous line about getting the gears set up properly. There is one thing you might be able to do though. Do you take the weight off the pedals when changing gears? This basically just means that you keep spinning as per normal, but you just stop applying the usual amount of power for a second or so as you change gear, so that the chain can move more across easily.
Quote Reply

Prev Next