Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Gearing for Ironman Wis.
Quote | Reply
What on front and what on back? Any thoughts for my first Ironman?
Quote Reply
Re: Gearing for Ironman Wis. [litespeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have ridden the course alot, especially the loop, and have put a 12x25 cassette on my bike, with a 53/39 set of chainrings. There are 3 or 4 spots where I think simply spinning up the quick climbs is best...especially for that tricky run to follow. FWIW... I have decided to use my 700c road bike with STI and a set of Profile Aerolite clip-ons (with the more comfortable F-18 armrests) for this course and not my tri bike.

Good luck and we'll see you in Madison in September.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With 650 wheels, 11/21 on the back, 53/39 on the front is what I used, about the same as a 12/23 with 700's. If you like to spin up the hills staying seated add the next size up on the back. (Probably a good idea if this is your first) It's a constantly rolling course with only one short steep hill you do twice. I remember the second time up the one steep hill was less fun than the first.

Irony can be humorous, but it does not have to be.

"I've always said that an Ironman is a reflection of your character" - Kevin Moats
Quote Reply
Re: Gearing for Ironman Wis. [east coast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what size wheels? unless you are HELLA strong i think you would do well to have a 25 for 700c or 23 for 650c with a 39. i have lived and ridden here in wi all my life and would not go over a 21 or 23 normally, but an IM is not a normal deal. consider r.strauss was like 4th in the 30-34 AG and is strong like a freaking ox and i believe he used a 23 on his 650 wheeled cervelo.
Quote Reply
Re: Gearing for Ironman Wis. [t-t-n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got a Saber with 650 wheels. A hed 3 on front and a Hed disc on back with a 21. Should I use the disc or get another Hed 3 from a friend that I can borrow? Thanks for the responses.
Quote Reply
Disk and IMMoo [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I was curious about using a disk at IMMoo too. I'm kicking around the idea of getting a Renn disk before IMMoo. However, I wanted to hear what others think about using a disk on that course with all the hills.

Thanks,

Zeke
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
last year, i rode 700c wheels, with bart end shifting and bullhorns with a 53/39 up front and an 11/23 cassette. i found i had no problems on the hills (and yes, i do stay on the saddle and spin). i will add though that i train in cincinnati, which is at least as hilly as the ironman wisconsin course (and it's the same type of hills). the best bet is to find a cassette that's comfortable for your normal riding, and get used to it. it also helps that you have a cog or two at the top that you rarely use, they're nice to have 'just in case' (perhaps more for peace of mind than actually needing them). later

mckenzie
Quote Reply
Re: Gearing for Ironman Wis. [mckenzie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I raced IMMoo last year on a 650c P3, 39/55, Hed3 front, Hed Disk rear. I went up in July to recon the course. I decided I wanted small gears for in the saddle spinning on one or two of the hills and a tight gear ratio for the fast flats. I came back with a hybrid cassette: I took the 25-23 cogs and put them on a 21-11 cassette. Hank at Edge did the tuning and it worked perfectly: 5:13, 19th OA bike split.

Bike handling and experience (or a plan) for riding rollers is just as important. This course is a BLAST and very techical. You can make up lots of time by being confident on your bike and climbing rollers skillfully.

Good luck,

Rich Strauss
www.cruciblefitness.com
Quote Reply