Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Garmin at IM Wisconsin
Quote | Reply
Morning, I'm wondering how people set up their garmin watch for the run at IM Wisconsin. T2 is indoors and mine (Timex Global Trainer) takes forever to acquire satellites while I'm moving. I have no intentions of standing around outside before I start to run waiting for my watch :)
Any advise is appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin at IM Wisconsin [CJocelyn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Get a new watch? :)

Why not just wear it during the bike, and about 30 minutes from T2 start the GPS up?

Spot

Quote | Reply
You will have plenty of time during your run. If it takes five minutes to boot up what difference will it make in the big picture. I am planning on mine taking that long while running too. The nature of the beast I guess.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CJocelyn wrote:
Morning, I'm wondering how people set up their garmin watch for the run at IM Wisconsin. T2 is indoors and mine (Timex Global Trainer) takes forever to acquire satellites while I'm moving. I have no intentions of standing around outside before I start to run waiting for my watch :)
Any advise is appreciated.

What is forever?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wouldn't it be more pertinent/relevant to ask how people who are using Timex's are going to set their's up instead of Garmin users? A lot of people with Garmin's will have it mounted on their bike during the bike leg and from what I have read, the Garmin's tend to acquire satellite fixes faster than the Global Trainers.

"Some folks plan for the optimum race, others like to get upset when others out plan them. "
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin at IM Wisconsin [JimSanders] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know my Garmin 500 is 2-3x faster and picking up signals and than my Timex was.

I'm just doing the same as I've done in all my races, put my garmin on in T2. My foot pod will get a descent estimate of pace and distance at first anyway. Just make sure you train it on the satellites on Saturday and again Sunday morning. I'm going to access my T2 bag and put it in on Sunday morning and only check my race belt, shoes and visor in my T2 bag on Saturday. I've had the unit not going into a full standby mode and drain the battery overnight before.

But again, a foot pod is a good work around for the first mile or so. It also gives you cadence, so you know, objectively, when you run form is falling apart.... not that there's much you can probably do about it.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like others said, I would just hit the button and start running.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin at IM Wisconsin [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
motoguy128 wrote:
I know my Garmin 500 is 2-3x faster and picking up signals and than my Timex was.

I'm just doing the same as I've done in all my races, put my garmin on in T2. My foot pod will get a descent estimate of pace and distance at first anyway. Just make sure you train it on the satellites on Saturday and again Sunday morning. I'm going to access my T2 bag and put it in on Sunday morning and only check my race belt, shoes and visor in my T2 bag on Saturday. I've had the unit not going into a full standby mode and drain the battery overnight before.

But again, a foot pod is a good work around for the first mile or so. It also gives you cadence, so you know, objectively, when you run form is falling apart.... not that there's much you can probably do about it.

Are you sure we can get to our T2 bags on Sunday morning? That doesn't seem right.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin at IM Wisconsin [JoshR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JoshR wrote:

I'd start running first, then put the watch on... then hit the button. But that's just me.

TrainingBible Coaching
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin at IM Wisconsin [BrentwoodTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BrentwoodTriGuy wrote:
motoguy128 wrote:

Are you sure we can get to our T2 bags on Sunday morning? That doesn't seem right.

Yes. Or at least you could the other 3 times I've done the race.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin at IM Wisconsin [JoshR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JoshR wrote:

I do this, but also like to hit "lap" at mile 1, then I can just add one to whatever it tells me during the run. Not that important, I just like having that info.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin at IM Wisconsin [bn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bn wrote:
BrentwoodTriGuy wrote:
motoguy128 wrote:

Yes. Or at least you could the other 3 times I've done the race.

It says you can in the athlete guide last I checked. Some people add nutrition to running belts. Other add GPS watches. I think basically they want to make sure all bags are well organized in the proper locations. Accessing them won't cause any problems with that. But having bag check that morning would be a little chaotic.

TrainingBible Coaching
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin at IM Wisconsin [bn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hitting the 'lap' button at mile 1 is what I do too, but it also helps the GPS find it's location quicker if you go to the run start and turn the GPS on for a bit the day before to locate the position of the satellites. Moving the GPS several hundred miles and then turning it on while running takes a significant amount of time more to find it's location.
Quote Reply