Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Garmin Alternative
Quote | Reply
Tell me about run watches that are good alternatives to the Garmin products. They need to have GPS and able to download data to wko+ and training peaks.
Garmin was good enough to replace my Garmin 910 six times (so I had 7 of them) and now they are replacing my Fenix 2 all with problems they have identified as hardware issues. I'm frustrated with their quality....great customer service but crappy products.

So, I'm looking to make a change to something else for myself and some alternatives I can suggest for my new athletes. Garmin, if you monitor this stuff I am happy to listen to a good reason why I should give you a 9th try.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Alternative [wds3825] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wds3825 wrote:
.... I'm frustrated with their quality....great customer service but crappy products. ...

So true.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whichever company you go with, make sure they have equally as good replacement policies.
Either you are terribly unlucky or very hard on gadgets.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/11/winter-gadget-recommendations.html

There is not much legit competition to Garmin, unfortunately. Suunto or Polar's latest offerings maybe? I don't think you will find better reviews/analysis than DC Rainmaker's blog though...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Curious, was it the same problem?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Similar experiences as the OP with garmin 210, 610 and 620.
Garmin's just such a household name in this type of thing that it's hard to initially break away from them.

Switched to Suunto earlier this year and never going back.
For a straight up running watch, the Ambit 2R has been great for me. Customizable display, accurate gps that locks on instantly (even in a high-rise riddled area), great battery life and pairs with all your ANT+ accessories. And most importantly for me after all those garmin lemons, just a 100% drama free device that gets the job done.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Alternative [Kenney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kenney wrote:
Curious, was it the same problem?

There were a couple problems. The altimeter went out on 5 of them so it would show something like 65k of climbing for a 5 mile run in Miami. The run pace was absolutely horrible. In open areas I could look once and see I was running at a 9 min per mile a couple seconds later a 7:00 mile the seconds later 11 min miles all on a steady endurance run. The swim function was screwed up from the beginning with just plain bad software. They fixed that but it took a season for GARMIN to realize it was it needed to be fixed.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Alternative [Sprattman1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting. Yes there was a design flaw where the port would get dirty and cause the altimeter to be off. Had the same problem, they should of announced the cleaning solution. Dumb of them. Had the 910 from first order and never had one software issue with the swim, ever, bummer you did............
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There were a couple problems. The altimeter went out on 5 of them so it would show something like 65k of climbing for a 5 mile run in Miami. The run pace was absolutely horrible. In open areas I could look once and see I was running at a 9 min per mile a couple seconds later a 7:00 mile the seconds later 11 min miles all on a steady endurance run. The swim function was screwed up from the beginning with just plain bad software. They fixed that but it took a season for GARMIN to realize it was it needed to be fixed.

So, you get a bleeding edge piece of hardware and shocked there were some issues to fix the first season. And now you are excited about a product that is a few years behind so it got to learn a few things from their competition. I personally had love my garmin 910, and both of my garmin edge computers. I did have the altimeter issue and I called Garmin. They shipped me a replacement the same day. I was 1 year out of warranty and they still fully covered it. The customer service rocks. Yes there can be some design flaws but all products have design flaws. I really wished my altimeter would have died a month or so later than it did because they would have given me a discount on the 920 during the exchange process.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i've had an edge 500 on my bike for a while and wanted a run/swim/tri watch, but hesitated to get another garmin because of reading about too much stuff like this. did some research and got a suunto ambit2 (the sapphire version) in august. it's been awesome so far. dc rainmaker's review is much more in depth, but basically, it works very well and is easy to use. navigation is great, and you can do it while recording data. swimming mode works very well in my experience, as long as you just press start and then leave it alone. it finds GPS signal almost instantly, which is a nice change from garmin. you can only download data from the watch through moveslink/movescount, but then you can export in whatever format you want, including tpx files for training peaks.

i haven't had any problems with my edge, either, and i still use that on the bike, but i'd definitely suggest taking a look at suunto for a run/multisport watch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear of your longstanding Garmin troubles. I have an FR 305 that has been perfect since day 1. I also have a Polar S720i (yep, old) - also perfect and still working fine. One difference between these dinosaurs and new models? I can't update the firmware on mine. So they need to be robustly functional out of the box - and they have proven to be so. Now, however, I think that there is a real temptation to ship devices that are incomplete from a firmware POV since they can be field upgraded. Now, the degree to which functional upgrades happen and happen as expected is a big question mark. I was really ready for a new multisport watch this summer. Love Polar build quality and customer service. You would think that the V800 had may name on it. But the whole - trust us, all the features we've promised will get to you soon - incomplete at shipping idea was a turn off. Someday, the battery life of my FR305 will be less than my Olympic distance races (!) and I'll either need to do some FR305 battery surgery or buy something else. Until then, it's going to take some amazing combination of confident performance and cool features for me to part with $400-500 for a new multisport watch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Run only watch? Timex Run Trainer 2.0 is pretty reliable, I've had one for about a year without issue. A few people said to look to Suunto and Polar but since you mentioned since you mentioned WKO and TrainingPeaks the Suunto isn't currently supported and Polar is a bit of a chore to work with.

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Alternative [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Garmin is one of those company's that know their quality is so shitty that they need an awesome customer service center just to keep customer. If they ever have a hiccup with their customer service they are doomed.

Quote | Reply

So, you get a bleeding edge piece of hardware and shocked there were some issues to fix the first season. And now you are excited about a product that is a few years behind so it got to learn a few things from their competition. I personally had love my garmin 910, and both of my garmin edge computers. I did have the altimeter issue and I called Garmin. They shipped me a replacement the same day. I was 1 year out of warranty and they still fully covered it. The customer service rocks. Yes there can be some design flaws but all products have design flaws. I really wished my altimeter would have died a month or so later than it did because they would have given me a discount on the 920 during the exchange process. [/quote]
I can't speak for everybody but when I spend this much money on something I do expect that it works properly and as advertised. I didn't buy a device to constantly be sending it back and being without. As said, their customer service is good, very good and may even set the standard however their quality control has quite a bit of room for improvement. It is hard for me to believe that they don't know the problems exist when they start selling them and it's much easier for me to believe that some corp bean counter said to ship them, take the sales and fix things as they come up.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Alternative [TheGupster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is enough people over YEARS with MANY products of theirs that proves your comment is b.s
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kenney wrote:
There is enough people over YEARS with MANY products of theirs that proves your comment is b.s completely reasonable.

FTFY
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Alternative [Sim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sim wrote:
Similar experiences as the OP with garmin 210, 610 and 620.
Garmin's just such a household name in this type of thing that it's hard to initially break away from them.

Switched to Suunto earlier this year and never going back.
For a straight up running watch, the Ambit 2R has been great for me. Customizable display, accurate gps that locks on instantly (even in a high-rise riddled area), great battery life and pairs with all your ANT+ accessories. And most importantly for me after all those garmin lemons, just a 100% drama free device that gets the job done.

+1 on Suunto.

The Ambit line is well designed & constructed—all in Finland—and the software is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend them.

#cureMS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kenney wrote:
There is enough people over YEARS with MANY products of theirs that proves your comment is b.s

Kenny, what reason would I have to bs somebody? For you though, here is a screen shot of my garmin connect upload screen with all seven 910xt s

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do believe you. I replied to TheGuptster who said
"Garmin is one of those company's that know their quality is so shitty that they need an awesome customer service center just to keep customer."

as my post stated, their ratio of complaints to satisfied customers with all their products over the years makes that statement b.s.
Are you saying because you have a bad unit(s) that means the quality of all their products is shitty? .........out of hundreds of thousands, and if all their products, millions?

The 910 had an issue with needing cleaning off the port that screwed up the altimeter. It was/is a design flaw. Worse, for whatever reason the did not give the solution of cleaning and just replaced units. But with all the products Garmin sells, I would not say the quality of all their products is shitty. From years in retail, its just not the case. For example, the 305 is bombproof. I still have one I bought in 06 I think

Quote Reply
Post deleted by Sprattman1 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have to agree. We had FR305s that gave us no hassle then upgraded to FR310XTs. Couple of hiccups with not holding date when switched off but swapped out with no hassle, then a couple of years trouble free. Updated to the 910XT and have had no issues with them for 2.5 years until very recently, the barometer played up on one of them. Currently working through that with cleaning the port and a possible exchange with Garmin (because we want to sell the 910s). Now have two 920s on order...

I do read the forums, but then that is where people go to complain, very rarely to praise. And there are not really many people in there. It is indeed very unrealistic to translate the complaints in forums and extrapolate that to conclude that anything Garmin sucks.

But then that's what some people do...

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Last edited by: PhilipShambrook: Nov 26, 14 20:24
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Alternative [mclousing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mclousing wrote:
So, you get a bleeding edge piece of hardware and shocked there were some issues to fix the first season. And now you are excited about a product that is a few years behind so it got to learn a few things from their competition. I personally had love my garmin 910, and both of my garmin edge computers. I did have the altimeter issue and I called Garmin. They shipped me a replacement the same day. I was 1 year out of warranty and they still fully covered it. The customer service rocks. Yes there can be some design flaws but all products have design flaws. I really wished my altimeter would have died a month or so later than it did because they would have given me a discount on the 920 during the exchange process.

Garmin certainly isn't discounting the price because it is a "bleeding edge" piece of hardware. The price reflects a finely finished product that should work and users expect it to. Unfortunately they are a bit notorious for having issues with first releases.

Pete Githens
Reading, PA
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Alternative [JayZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1
Every Garmin Product I have owned has been a fail in terms of quality
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Alternative [PhilipShambrook] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Funny that no one is bashing Polar (which I also think is great), you think they would with the 28 pages on the V800 thread. They also have not tried to get as many features as Garmin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Funny that no one is bashing Polar (which I also think is great), you think they would with the 28 pages on the V800 thread.

That's to be expected. Garmin is the huge giant in terms of market share. That has 2 implications:
  • 90% of the device failures will be reported and 90% of the happy users will stay silent. There are so many more Garmin users, that the mass of complaints will always have greater volume, independent of actual failure rate. Plus, people are unlikely to want to be the first persons to complain...something of a 'king's invisible clothes' situation.
  • If a Garmin goes bad, then it is WAY WORSE. They are the big stalwart who is supposed to sit on a piece of hardware for 9 years, wear testing it in secret for millions of hours covering every possible usage and potential failure scenario. If a Polar goes bad, well...technology is tricky. They are the plucky underdog who should be excused for a few hiccups.

Because of these, scanning through forums cannot ever give an accurate picture of the reliability of either device. It would be much better if Amazon (or any other large retailer) waits 6 months or a year before sending out a satisfaction questionnaire. If they bribe people with a gift card for completing it, that may paint an accurate picture of long term reliability.
Quote Reply

Prev Next