Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Garmin 910 Fail [ironpsych] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironpsych wrote:
Thanks. I do use "smart recording". I'll try it with "every second" and cross my fingers.

OK, I'm hopeful again, kinda. ;-)

Good luck! In any case, write back on here with the outcome.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 910 Fail [ironpsych] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ughh.... hopefully these issues get worked out. It seems like a great piece of gear!
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 910 Fail [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's a thread about this over on the Garmin Forums with somebody else having similar issues, even after having units replaced - I think he's in Australia. Clearly you are not the only one with the problem. We don't experience this so you might be best placed to start a conversation with Garmin as soon as possible.
Check out the Garmin Forums too

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 910 Fail [irncpl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had exactly the same problem this weekend at the Mooloolaba Tri. Swim recorded well but the bike and run started me in Africa and no data was recorded. Frustrating.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a copy of my post from another thread here http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=4482116 that describes the same 910xt issue.

This appears to be an issue that effects certain people's 910xt after it has been updated to 2.7 firmware. The bug is being discussed the Garmin forums. I lost my bike and run data at San Juan 70.3

The main symptom appears when using the unit in Multi-Sport mode that has an open water swim, the Latitude and Longitude of the segments after the swim (T1, Bike, T2 and Run) will be 0,0 (which happens to be off the west coast of Africa in the Gulf of Guinea). You will not get mile spits or other distance based reminders while it's happening.

I suspect It has not effected a lot of people yet as the 2.7 firmware was released on November 28th, which is off-season for most of the Northern Hemisphere. It would not surprise me at all if good handfull of people come back from Oceanside 70.3 this weekend and post here about this problem.

Apparently, Garmin is not saying there's a problem and are not offering a "downgrade to 2.6". I have come up with a (non-Garmin approved) solution to send the 2.6 firmware to the 910xt if you are experiencing this problem. I've got a walkthrough set up on this page: https://dl.dropbox.com/.../910xt-firmware.html.

The Garmin forum thread about the issue is here (for continuity sake, I'm JUMPSERVE in the Garmin forums):
https://forums.garmin.com/...-in-multisport-mode/

I'm just this guy ya know?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey I recognize that location. Latitude 0. Longitude 0. Where Greenwich meridian and equator cross one another.

I run whatever my 910 came with. I think it's 2.4 Too afraid to flash new firmware (and this is why!). My 910 worked just fine out of the box and still works just fine. Elevation is okay-ish. Not perfect but it works okay and I have no crazy inaccurate readings. Multisport works perfectly. Instantaneous pace is reading high but I don't care. I run by HR and then check the average pace afterward.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 910 Fail [blanco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, this gives me hope Garmin will fix the bug. Seems like a big problem for a Multi-sport watch to flake out in Multi-sport mode. Ironically, Garmin told me 2.7 was intended to fix the problem.

The master reset seems to have fixed the problem for now. But this remains one more to worry about on race day.

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreatScott wrote:
The master reset seems to have fixed the problem for now. But this remains one more to worry about on race day.

Scott

So, you're on 2.7, you did a master reset on your 910 and then did a "mock tri" with OWS, and did not get the Lat/Lon 0,0 issue?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Given my experience with Garmin and their updates... to me Firmware Update equals one thing --- NEW WATCH.

Had elevation issue on mine, got a replacement and have not replaced the firmware since. Still on 2.6 and will stay there as I believe a lot or Garmin issues are from the updates frying components
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 910 Fail [Maui5150] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maui5150 wrote:
Given my experience with Garmin and their updates... to me Firmware Update equals one thing --- NEW WATCH.

Had elevation issue on mine, got a replacement and have not replaced the firmware since. Still on 2.6 and will stay there as I believe a lot or Garmin issues are from the updates frying components

Perhaps not hardware frying, if you go back to a previous version and the feature is restored or bug is removed.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We tried doing that with my first one. Didn't help. Once the altimeter/barometer is shot, it is pretty much shot from what I have seen.

Maybe some of these are software issues in some of the later versions, but my issue last year happened immediately after the firmware and was non-recoverable (i.e. new watch)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you set up auto-multisport as a run/bike/run, does it work correctly?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maui5150 wrote:
We tried doing that with my first one. Didn't help. Once the altimeter/barometer is shot, it is pretty much shot from what I have seen.

Maybe some of these are software issues in some of the later versions, but my issue last year happened immediately after the firmware and was non-recoverable (i.e. new watch)

I do not doubt you, I just want to be sure. You successfully "downgraded" your firmware (i.e. 2.6 ->2.5) and the altimeter/barometer problem was still there? Or you did a "hard reset" or "Factory Reset" and the problem was still there (same firmware)?

Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 910 Fail [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfroelich wrote:

Most people only experience the issue with OWS followed by another sport. I believe one person has reported it with a brick.

Do a "mock" run-through of your event (say 10 minutes of each sport) and see what happens.

Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 910 Fail [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfroelich wrote:

I've read that until Garmin fixes their problem with the OWS, this^^^^^^is the work around if you are using 2.7. I do not have a 910 but if I did, I would down grade my firmwre to 2.6 as Blanco has pointed out and given instructions on how to do it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup, I am going to do that. I have a bike-run race tomorrow and seeing this got me thinking I should test that out tonight.
btw, your work on reverting to old firmware is very cool. I'm sure lots of people really appreciate it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
blanco wrote:
GreatScott wrote:

Scott

So, you're on 2.7, you did a master reset on your 910 and then did a "mock tri" with OWS, and did not get the Lat/Lon 0,0 issue?

Correct. Although my mock tri involved just a short walk from the beach. I will conduct a more thorough test soon and report back.

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not fixed. Now I'm frustrated. First I lose my Alcatraz data, now I have no elevation on a fantastic ride while on vacation in Maui. I used the multi-sport feature to record an OWS swim yesterday, then hit lap to simulate a bike / run on the walk back home. Seemed to be working. Then got this after my ride today:

Last edited by: GreatScott: Mar 29, 13 15:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreatScott wrote:
Not fixed. Now I'm frustrated. First I lose my Alcatraz data, now I have no elevation on a fantastic ride while on vacation in Maui. I used the multi-sport feature to record an OWS swim yesterday, then hit lap to simulate a bike / run on the walk back home. Seemed to be working. Then got this after my ride today:

Sorry to hear its not working. You can try to upload 2.6 via my instructions above. Good luck.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I'm gonna try to get a new watch from Garmin first.

Any idea why this effects some watches on 2.7 and not others?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreatScott wrote:
Thanks. I'm gonna try to get a new watch from Garmin first.

Any idea why this effects some watches on 2.7 and not others?

No, I thought it would be related to unit id/when manufactured , but from the IDs I've collected it doesn't appear that way. But I figure if I get enough IDs we can go to garmin saying it's a real problem effecting x amount of people.

Also, if you read the garmin forums thread, you'll see that some folks had their units replaced by garmin and the news ones shipped with 2.7 and exhibited the problem.

Unfortunately, I have a feeling we're going to hear more reports of this after California 70.3 as the season starts to ramp up.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
blanco wrote:
I figure if I get enough IDs we can go to garmin saying it's a real problem effecting x amount of people.

Unfortunately, I have a feeling we're going to hear more reports of this after California 70.3 as the season starts to ramp up.

Selfishly, I'm hoping to see others having the same problem. Just to get some momentum behind a permanent fix from Garmin.

I informed the tech who assisted me originally that my problems persist and have not received a response.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lets face it, it comes down to one thing, and one thing only.

The 910XT is a fragile and funky watch of POOR quality.

It may work for some and run like a champ, but a large number have issues and seems to be GPS/barometer related and fairly consistent.

My issue did not develop until a firmware upgrade, but I am on my second watch, fingers crossed, and a year ago, it was still a big problem, i.e. when I was going through tech support it was a known issue and only took a few calls until they were setting me up with a replacement. Thankfully mine failed quickly, so was still under warranty.

The fact that a year later, people are still either getting GPS putting them all over the map, or going out and doing a 50 mile bike with 60,000 ft elevation gain... This is the hardware, and once the watch goes under some use, the GPS or the barometer are failing.

Whether it is a poor design, or was a bad batch of components over a short period still has not been determined, but seems to be the quality of Garmin is not what it used to be.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Garmin "quality" has, and always will be "go buy a new one in 1-2 years." The junk they make is designed to make you a customer in perpetuity. I haven't had a single Garmin product that actually lasted for any measurable period of time. The sad thing is most people on here are on their 5th, or even 6th model (sometimes multiple replacement versions), and they will still go out and buy the next one.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 910 Fail [alexaqui] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Based on what we all paid for the 910, you would think a firm in the sector would take the time to develop a solid product. That though of course follows the thought that Garmin might want to raise the tone of the chatter about its brand, spend some focused time on the 910, and get a more consistent user experience.

I've lost race data as well. Always watching the alternatives to see if someone makes a move...
Quote Reply

Prev Next