Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

GO KIMBO!!!!!!!!
Quote | Reply
Kevin just sent me this story from the Orlando Sentinel:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/highschool/lake/orl-lgrogan1806oct18,0,7280508.story

She's fit and ready to rumble. Go Kimbo!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kimberly Grogan's time is now.

She will finally reach the pinnacle of her sport Saturday when she competes in the World Triathlon Corporation's Hawaii Ironman Triathlon.

The climb to the top comes three years later than she thought it would.

Just as she was preparing to race in her first Hawaii Ironman Triathlon in October 2003, Kimberly Grogan learned she was pregnant. "Being pregnant was the best news I could have hoped for," the Clermont native said. "Two years ago, Hawaii wasn't as big of a goal for me as it is now. Having (her son) Gavin be able to come makes it a much better experience."

After Grogan learned she was pregnant, she became a spectator and watched her husband, Kevin, enter the water in Kona, Hawaii, in October 2003. She knew her time would come.

Kimberly Grogan's patience paid off. Gavin, who is 20 months old, will travel with her to Kona as she finally gets to compete in the Hawaii Ironman Triathlon. The ultra-distance triathlon, which will be rebroadcast on NBC from 4 to 6 p.m. Dec. 9, is one of the most grueling events for triathletes. It features a 2.4-mile swim, a 112-mile bike ride and a 26.2-mile run, all under the hot Hawaii sun.

"It's been worth the wait," she said. "I've almost forgot what I was feeling. It's been two years, and now it's even more huge.

"It was tough about 15 minutes before the swim started (in 2003), watching Kevin start. But once the gun went off, I was all about cheering. Now it's my turn."

Grogan has trained vigorously throughout the 2006 triathlon season - which in Florida goes from March to October - and feels she is in the best shape of her life.

"Kimberly is a classic age-group competitor," said Kevin Purcell, Grogan's coach. "She can't devote as much time to training as she probably should, because she has her baby, a husband and a business. But she's very determined, and I expect her to do well in Hawaii."

Purcell met the Grogans at the Ford Ironman Florida in November 2005. He had asked Kevin at random to take his picture and then was "shoulder to shoulder at the start of the race," he said.

The three exchanged e-mails, and Purcell began training Kimberly in January.

"I learned real fast that Kimberly was a great athlete," Purcell said. "She's very competitive, too. Very competitive."

Purcell, who will race in the Hawaii Ironman for the fifth time Saturday, said the training he has done with Grogan has helped her mature as a triathlete. He has had Grogan simulate the races by going on five-and-a-half hour bike rides alone to learn how to control her heart rate, electrolytes and calorie intake and to figure out how to stay focused through such a long race.

"She has learned how to control herself in a race," he said. "If you go too fast too early, you won't eat and you'll burn out. She is a very smart racer, and she checks every little thing before and during the race. She won't mess up."

Learning about nutrition and training the past two years also has helped Grogan's development. To train for the Hawaii Ironman, Kevin, who has competed in it twice, is giving her invaluable tips, such as learning how to drink her protein-supplemented drinks warm.

"Kevin told me that even if you freeze your drinks, they will be warm by the time you want them," she said. "You can't finish a triathlon if you don't like your drinks. You won't have any energy by the time the run comes."

Grogan's training may not help her adjust to what Purcell calls the "mystique" of Kona. He said it is "eerie" being with 2,000 triathletes in complete silence at the start of the race.

"Everyone takes in what's there," Purcell said. "Kimberly will do this too, she is well- centered and balanced. It's a great pleasure to be able to go to Kona and race."

Grogan will have to be careful not to expend all her energy before the race.

She is traveling with Gavin, who was sick with a cold until Monday, and must endure the cross-country flight and the race without Kevin, her "biggest supporter." Kevin Grogan will compete in the Great Floridian Triathlon in Clermont on Saturday.

"Honestly, she's just been thinking about Gavin and how he will do in Hawaii," Kevin Grogan said. "She's not thinking about the race at all. She's a mother first and an athlete second. She deserves this."

(I think this is at St. Croix where she qualified)

-----------------------------------------------------
Last edited by: BottomFeeder: Oct 19, 06 7:57
Quote Reply
Re: GO KIMBO!!!!!!!! [BottomFeeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AWESOME story !

Met Kev'Gro briefly at Placid this year , nice guy , wish the whole clan nothing but success !!

KIMBO looks like the queen of Rippedville in that shot ; )

Seeing him in deep torment, I said. " You can have my last GU , but its been down my pants for most of the run". - John Hirsch

Take care of your body, its by far the coolest thing you're going to ever own.- Can't remember who told me this, but I love it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the post Bottomfeeder.

Just to add to the article, a lot of credit has to go to Coach KP (ST'er Kevin P.). He has done a great job preparing Kimberly for Kona and I personally wanted to thank him for his hard work.

www.coachkp.com
Quote Reply
Re: GO KIMBO!!!!!!!! [KJGrog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nice article, and congrads on the Son... he's gonna grow up thinking having superman & superwoman as mom and dad is normal :-)

best of luck to you all...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go Kimbo!!! Kick some butt out there, just remember if you get multiple flats you have to beat the 100 yard wheel discus toss record. :)

The article says you are racing this weekend...any truth to that rumor?!?! I see your name on the lists......

Mad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was she on the broadcast for IMCDA? I thought I caught the end of an interview with a Kim Grogan. If so, that's a lot of press for an AGer. Somebody should be giving her a car or something.

Oh yeah, good luck.
Last edited by: Gator1736: Oct 19, 06 14:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
good luck kimbo!!!!!!!!!!

----------------------------------------------------
Striving to have sex more than 66 times per year
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the link John. Go Kimbo :-)
Quote Reply
Re: GO KIMBO!!!!!!!! [martyg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The good old days--here is Marty first out of the swim at GF04!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Thanks for the post Bottomfeeder.

Just to add to the article, a lot of credit has to go to Coach KP (ST'er Kevin P.). He has done a great job preparing Kimberly for Kona and I personally wanted to thank him for his hard work.

www.coachkp.com
Kevin, wish her luck from me too. Look forward to seeing you in January. BottonFeeder owes me breakfast!

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply