Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: G. Chris Gleason Tribute [DougRob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DougRob wrote:
I did not know Chris, never met him. But I read this thread first thing every day. If the saying "you can judge a man by the company he keeps" is true, then Chris was a man among men. The fact that his passing has had such an effect on so many people and that a great many people want to be more like him is a tribute to the character of the man.

I have corresponded with tetsuoni and I consider it an honor to make a totally over the top trophy for the Chris Gleason AmZof! I hope to make something Redonkulous that will help tie everyone's memories of Chris to the race he obviously loved so much.

To those of you who personally feel his absence you have my condolences. But through your tears you are letting those of us who did not have the opportunity to know him in person to be touched by him after his passing. Cherish each day and have some fun too!

Thanks,

Doug

Well, you just took him down a notch on account of him hanging with ML :-) :-)....OK, someone make sure that ML's name does not get on this trophy!!!
Quote Reply
Re: G. Chris Gleason Tribute [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FWIW: Here is a picture of a triathlon pen I made (actually 19 of them) recently:

The trophy will be BIGGER and cooler!

http://www.EpixGear.com
Quote Reply
Re: G. Chris Gleason Tribute [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I never knew him but have friends who knew him very well. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.
Quote Reply
Re: G. Chris Gleason Tribute [chausman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dont know if this was posted by anyone, a friend found this IM video clip, at 2:29, there is good ole chris hamming it up with the guy they are profiling on the bike...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zh07...mp;lf=plcp
Quote Reply
Re: G. Chris Gleason Tribute [sdinhofer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's Alex Gonzalez, a friend and teammate of mine. That is a great piece of video of two really amazing guys.

JM

"Hold on, you run a marathon AFTER you ride your bike?!?....oh, you people are just insane"......(my Mom)

Rockin' the W in 2013!! Wattie Ink Elite Team
Quote Reply
Re: G. Chris Gleason Tribute [KevinMartin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been following the thread on Chris since I first saw it earlier last week. It appears that by all accounts he was wonderful father and husband; great friend; and accomplished athlete. My condolences to his family and friends for such a cruel loss.

As I've seen mentioned in previous posts, the contents of this thread will be a very special gift to his children one day, just as I'm sure it provides some solace today for his friends and family.

I had a thought that I wanted to bounce off of you.

I have a photo album at home that reflects the ~18 months leading up to my first Ironman, as well as the race week itself. Inside are photos, gym passes, receipts, swim caps, my race medal, etc. I got the idea from a good friend, whose wife surreptitiously built a similar album for him as he prepared for the same race a year earlier. A few weeks post-race, she presented it to him one night, and I know it was probably the most special gift he'd ever received.

I was thinking that something similar might be possible for his friends to create. Maybe not quite as I've described, but perhaps an album of photos, stories, mememtos, etc that you could each contribute?

Quote Reply
Re: G. Chris Gleason Tribute [tetsuoni] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"The most important thing is to make sure that Murphy's Law's name NEVER appears on it."

No chance of that happening since ML only races the little girl's race in the spring.

BTW...I confirmed that I am otherwise detained on May 20. I know at least part of my thoughts will be in NY that day as you all toe the line in Chris's honor.
Quote Reply
Re: G. Chris Gleason Tribute [eborge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi, this is Jenny Gleason....thank you, Eric, for saying that. Love you, Jenny
Quote Reply
Re: G. Chris Gleason Tribute [Chris G] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know how I have missed the news but I check in this morning and saw this thread. I got to meet Chris and ML this year before Lake Placid. I was a little nervous with this by my first IM. Chris picked my brain that night about how I trained for the race and assured me I would be fine and just go out and have fun. It gave me some comfort and that is what I did. After our ST meet I was able to speak to him a couple more times that week wondering around town. He actually took a picture of my family for us outside the ice skating rink. It was an honor to meet him after talking with him on ST. Jenny I will keep your family in my prayers and to Chris, Godspeed brother, you will be missed.

"Sometimes you got to learn to hurt"
Quote Reply
Re: G. Chris Gleason Tribute [sdinhofer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
May he rest in peace
Quote Reply
Re: G. Chris Gleason Tribute [real597] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Run a lap for us in your new home brother! This year will be weird without you to dole out the smack online and the pain on the race course!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I rode 58 miles today, and thought about Chris a lot.
I blew 2011 off for racing and training. Chris taught me not to make that mistake again.
He also taught me not to take my training and racing too seriously, so the pint I'm downing now, is also in his honor.
Slainte!

2015 American Zofingen Du is May 17.
R.I.P. Chris Gleason
Quote Reply
Re: G. Chris Gleason Tribute [KevinMartin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After over 2 months, I was given the final determination on Chris' collapse....thankfully, the Philadelphia MEO were professional and concluded the only option: it was simply a natural cause. In other words, no obvious reason why, it was simply "his time" unfortunately, yet he wasn't in pain, it was instant AND he knew he was crushing his 3hr. marathon goal! AWESOME!

Thank you to each and every one of you that have provided such kind sentiments, tributes, gestures, SUPPORT, prayers, celebration, dedication and on and on! All of it is such a tribute to Chris and is so moving! It speaks so highly of all of you to give of yourselves...and all of it is forever in print for my children Ashley and Matthew, and provides such an amazing legacy which I hope not only gives them an understanding of their Dad for years to come, but I also hope will help shape them, especially Matthew, into the amazingly awesome man, father, husband, brother, friend, professional he was and he was only 40! So, while he is not here, he's our overachieving Guardian Angel....how lucky we are to have had him in our lives!
With that said, my sister Karrie gave me this statement in 2002 the year Chris and I got married and little did she know HOW TRUE it would really be: "Never live faster than your Guardian Angel(s) can fly!" Well, luckily for the kids and I, our Guardian Angel can fly FASTER than all of them! ha ha....We are so lucky...now, he can rest in peace and have a blast up there! We will miss you, Chris!
Thank you all, be safe while training and have an awesome race season in 2012!

Sincerely,
Jenny Gleason

Like ·
Quote Reply
Re: G. Chris Gleason Tribute [Jenny Gleason] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for taking the time to post this.

Your children obviously inherit extraordinary genes and have been left in strong, capable hands.
May Chris rest in peace and may you and your children's future be filled with much happiness.

Mark
Last edited by: stillrollin: Jan 20, 12 10:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jenny, thanks for the update and from the whole ST community, you have our best.

I barely knew Chris but I think of him often.

I will remember him every time it gets "hard" in a race again and as well when I enjoy that post race cold one!

http://www.pbmcoaching.com
USA Triathlon Level 3 Elite Coach
USA Cycling Level 1 Elite Coach

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just wanted to post an update. I have been thinking a great deal about Chris as I am working away on the G.Chris Gleason Memorial Duathlon Trophy. It will stand over three feet tall when assembled. The main part have been made. The perosnal touches will be done this week, including laser engraving and fluting. Then I will have to stain and finish it and then assemble it.

I never met Chris, but doing this project has been a daily reminder of how precious each day is.

I am racing a 100 mile triathlon in North Carolina the day before, so I need to figure out how to get it there. I would love to jump in my truck after my race and be there for the duathlon. But it is a long drive after a lot of pain.

http://www.EpixGear.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi, thank you for all your time, hard work and thoughtfulness relative to Chris!! I'm sure the trophy will be awesome and one Chris would have loved to try to win!! My sincere thanks!

Super good luck in your race!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was just thinking about this picture again.

This was the time of year when Chris would make multiple trips to the Adirondacks to train in some of the places we see on the sign....Whiteface, Wilmington, Keene and of course later in June, Tupper Lake. It was during these times that I fist met Chris in real life, and got exposed to his amazing spirit. It will be tough going back there to all these familiar places without him to keep everyone in line and to up the wattage of the paceline so that all the "bitches" are hurting....

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
I was just thinking about this picture again.

This was the time of year when Chris would make multiple trips to the Adirondacks to train in some of the places we see on the sign....Whiteface, Wilmington, Keene and of course later in June, Tupper Lake. It was during these times that I fist met Chris in real life, and got exposed to his amazing spirit. It will be tough going back there to all these familiar places without him to keep everyone in line and to up the wattage of the paceline so that all the "bitches" are hurting....

Jenny and friends of Chris. On Friday, I ran up this hill. Same spot, no crowds. Behind me was the sign for Whiteface, Keene and Wilmington. Places I have shared with Chris in "no shortage of pain". I have ran up this hill 20x during IMLP. Even when I was running up this hill in 2006 on my way to a Kona slot it did not feel like Friday. I had an empty coke bottle in my hand. I visualized that Chris' spirit was with me in that bottle giving us energy. He was a special guy and this picture is truly special.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know what you mean, Dev. It seems strange that he didn't leave last Wednesday night or Thursday for Epicman and talking all about how he and the hard core guys were going to bike up WF the day before Epicman, then the next day of course, and now Tupper coming up! I loved going to Tupper, he enjoyed it and used it as his last bigger training day prior to LP. Seems so strange not going. Guess I just need to improve my swim stroke so I can increase my endurance and go and do it myself! That MUST be "the plan" here as Chris would have LOVED it if I did Tupper and be my biggest fan! I'm so lucky! So glad you had a great time in LP, he was certainly with you in spirit, Dev!! He's pushing us all and smiling down (likely smack talking too! ha ha). Good luck and be safe out there my friend!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jenny....we'll be your fans in his place. Come up to Tupper and do it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Dev!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just read the story about Chris in this months Runners World. Godspeed. I hope you and your kids and families are doing well.

--
MyGearGarage - Track all your gear!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Crowning Achievement on a multiple year journey. Definitely a happier finishing line day than this past weekend! (photo Asi photography)

A bunch of us are heading back to LP this weekend. Chris, we miss ya!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Best of luck to everyone racing and spectating LP this weekend!!

Be sure to decompress and carboload/hydrate with 3 for a PB before the race, and as many as you damn well please after!!
Chris would have it no other way.

We miss ya, bro.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply

Prev Next