Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Post deleted by Gagne603
Re: Fund me Amber Ferriera [Gagne603] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You will regret posting this. Guaranteed.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Gagne603 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yawn, this is not the place to beg for money to support someone else to get to Kona.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
http://www.aomultisport.com
Quote Reply
Re: Fund me Amber Ferriera [BDoughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Concord = Boulder of the East??? Nice try - not even close.

Burlington VT maybe because of liberal social culture, university town, a lot of exercise junkies, but not Concord - no way...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you ask her about this first? If she doesn't know about this it might be more negative than positive.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This was supposed to be in pink, right?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just so you know, someone else posted a similar thread a month or two back, raising money for himself. His thread got deleted, but not before he was essentially ridiculed and berated off the board for begging for money.

If your friend values her image as a pro, and maybe hopes to build a brand around her name, I would really consider deleting this thread as it will hurt her image in the long run.

Just a friendly FYI.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Fund me Amber Ferriera [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm too busy funding my own damn activities, gear, etc.

Quote | Reply
I'll help out, hope she makes her goal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My dream is a 67 corvette l88.

Are you kidding with this?

I *heart* weak, dumb ass people...
Quote Reply
Re: Fund me Amber Ferriera [coopdog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My dream is people who don't make any money doing something stop pretending they're professional.

Absolutely pathetic.

Forget speedwork. Speedwork is the icing on the cake and you don't have a cake yet. - MattinSF

Basically they have 9 tenants, live life to the fullest, do not turn the cheak, and embrace the 7 deadly since. - TheForge (on satanists)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gagne603 wrote:
It is not to support "a Pro" it is to support a friend, that I will not regret-guaranteed

I'd like a free vacation to Hawaii too. Please send me money.

See how freakin' ridiculous that sounds?

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
#OccupyKona
Quote Reply
Re: Fund me Amber Ferriera [TheGupster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheGupster wrote:
I'm too busy funding my own damn activities, gear, etc.

lol. I like your honesty.

Besides her "fund me" page says that she is going to Kona, not that she can't go unless she gets enough dough. She already knows that she is going and her friends just want to help her with plane fair etc.
Last edited by: Ty: Aug 30, 14 14:49
Quote Reply
Re: Fund me Amber Ferriera [Lazy Ben] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lazy Ben wrote:
My dream is people who don't make any money doing something stop pretending they're professional.

Absolutely pathetic.
I have no problem with athletes becoming pros. Hey it's there life to live it as they see fit. In fact sometimes it helps age groupers who have 40 hour a week jobs move up in the ranks and podium.

But I do think that there are some who are good at fooling themselves. The ones that bother me frankly are the ones that are pros and all of a sudden become tri coaches without one spec of experience.
Quote Reply
Re: Fund me Amber Ferriera [Ty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just so you all know, next month I am going to Vegas to get wasted and play in the high rollers' area. I will be posting a trip fund to get people to help pay for my vacation as well. I mean, it's my dream so asking for money for a vacation is okay right?
Quote Reply
Re: Fund me Amber Ferriera [SPL Tech] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe The Real Starkey will contribute.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A very strange request to say the least!

I have no issues with pros asking for money. Patrick Evoe has a paypal link on his webpage asking for personal sponsors, I just think it is another avenue of sponsorship
But asking someone to pay for your airticket to Kona is kinda "cheap"
Quote Reply
Re: Fund me Amber Ferriera [asianzone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
asianzone wrote:
A very strange request to say the least!

I have no issues with pros asking for money. Patrick Evoe has a paypal link on his webpage asking for personal sponsors, I just think it is another avenue of sponsorship
But asking someone to pay for your airticket to Kona is kinda "cheap"

Me, I kind of cringe when I see "pros" or any one asking for money. I always have to hold back my urge to shout, "Get A Job."

And you know if a pro triathlete can't fund her own plane fare to Kona then maybe she should reassess her career choice and maybe choose one that actually pays the bills.
Last edited by: Ty: Aug 30, 14 15:15
Quote Reply
Re: Fund me Amber Ferriera [asianzone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't have an issue anyone asking for anything on their own personal/professional sites. Our team has a "donations" site, etc, that's probably pretty standard. But plugging it in other avenues especially as it pertains to essentially begging for us to pay for her flight, ahh not so much. That's when you lose respect.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
http://www.aomultisport.com
Quote Reply
Re: Fund me Amber Ferriera [BDoughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BDoughtie wrote:
I don't have an issue anyone asking for anything on their own personal/professional sites. Our team has a "donations" site, etc, that's probably pretty standard. But plugging it in other avenues especially as it pertains to essentially begging for us to pay for her flight, ahh not so much. That's when you lose respect.

I am *hoping* (maybe naively) that this is some well intentioned but misguided effort by the OP to help a friend without her knowledge. I can't find anything on her FB page or Blog regarding this.

The athlete in question was 1st at LP and second at Texas and IMMT, also works as a Physio (not sure part time or full) coaches a bit and has won more money than most IM pros this year. She also is 12th in Kona points going in. I would suggest if she is serious that she take a leave from work, get in a solid six weeks of preparation and if need be rack up the visa….

Also, not sure about the U.S. but there are designations under the tax code in Canada where elite athletes can write off regular pay roll income against expenses incurred for being an elite athlete.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: Fund me Amber Ferriera [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mauricemaher wrote:
BDoughtie wrote:

I am *hoping* (maybe naively) that this is some well intentioned but misguided effort by the OP to help a friend without her knowledge. I can't find anything on her FB page or Blog regarding this.

The athlete in question was 1st at LP and second at Texas and IMMT, also works as a Physio (not sure part time or full) coaches a bit and has won more money than most IM pros this year. She also is 12th in Kona points going in. I would suggest if she is serious that she take a leave from work, get in a solid six weeks of preparation and if need be rack up the visa….

Also, not sure about the U.S. but there are designations under the tax code in Canada where elite athletes can write off regular pay roll income against expenses incurred for being an elite athlete.

Maurice

I found that weird too, but the world is free and anyone can ask for money for anything. As you point out, Amber has had solid results and should be able to leverage that platform to convert into some revenue from existing or new sponsors. It won't hurt her ability to sign up athletes for her coaching services, and it might even help her market her physio services. I'd encourage Amber in that direction.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ST is weird to me sometimes. Amber:

1. Works her ass off (probably sacrificing as much as the >$200k lawyers and investment bankers on the board),
2. Seems like a great person, and
3. Has never demonstrated any sense of "entitlement" or anything like that.

But when a funding page is posted by a 3rd party who seems really well-intentioned, people attack the OP and Amber? Isn't ST exactly the type of place this should be posted? The broader market doesn't value triathlon, we do. Amber is one of the best triathletes in the world, and we understand just how hard she works. If you think pros like Amber should drop triathlon and go to law school...well, that is an opinion. But all of us know that she works hard and isn't looking for a hand out. Her and pros like her are looking for communities, individuals, and companies that value her hard work.

But maybe I am missing the point. Which is my area of expertise.

------
David Roche
Some Work, All Play podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/...ll-play/id1521532868
Coaching: https://swaprunning.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Fund me Amber Ferriera [DaveRoche] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But all of us know that she works hard and isn't looking for a hand out.

This isn't sponsorship which is (at least in theory) a two-way, reciprocal relationship. Nothing is being offered in return here. It is, by definition, a hand out.

Forget speedwork. Speedwork is the icing on the cake and you don't have a cake yet. - MattinSF

Basically they have 9 tenants, live life to the fullest, do not turn the cheak, and embrace the 7 deadly since. - TheForge (on satanists)
Quote Reply

Prev Next