Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Full Sleeved Wetsuit with least arm restriction
Quote | Reply
I wear the TYR Hurricane wetsuit. I have the same model (last years top of the line) sleeveless and full sleeved. Love the sleeveless, but tried the full length sleeves before my race this weekend and couldn't wear it because my arms fatigued and felt restricted in a practice swim. Without going through an expensive trial and error process of buying a bunch of different wetsuits, was wondering if anyone had a similar dilemma and figured out a solution. I do not want to go with separate "sleeves" and use a sleeveless. What was your solution/recommendation for a full sleeved wetsuit where you feel arm/shoulder restriction is limited?
Quote Reply
Re: Full Sleeved Wetsuit with least arm restriction [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a Roka Maverik Pro with sleeves and I find that there is very little shoulder restriction or fatigue.

I'm very happy with it.

I wouldn't worry too much about the trial and error - most of the wet suit places that sell online have a 30 day no questions asked return period. I know that both Roka and Xterra have this.
Quote Reply
Re: Full Sleeved Wetsuit with least arm restriction [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
blue seventy helix has incredibly thin , amazing arms.

my gf and I , both college swimmers love to swim in that suit.
Quote Reply
Re: Full Sleeved Wetsuit with least arm restriction [sentania] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sentania wrote:
I have a Roka Maverik Pro with sleeves and I find that there is very little shoulder restriction or fatigue.

X2
I have a Elite and I love it. Favorite wetsuit I've tried to date.

If you purchase through TriSports there is a 90 day return policy. You could try multiple suits a few times before making a decision.

"Just don’t abandon everything you’ve ever learned because of something someone said on the internet." - Eric McGinnis
Quote Reply
Re: Full Sleeved Wetsuit with least arm restriction [ScottWrigleyFit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i 3rd the roka suit. i'm a terrible swimmer and when put on correctly the suit feels amazing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also recommend the Roka.

Buuuuuut, let me ask. And please don't feel patronised, but are you taking time to put the Tyr on properly? If you don't pull the bottom half right up into the crotch, and pull the top half all the way up and over the shoulders, you will get arm fatigue. If you aren't already doing this (you may be!) - after working the suit as far up into the crotch as possible, and then pulling up and over the shoulders, bend forward at the waist and each time you do, pull the rolls upwards towards your chest and shoulders. Being careful with your nails. Repeat a bunch of times.

I can make my Roka fit horribly if I don't pull it up properly! Same with my old Orca, the difference could be night and day.
Last edited by: knighty76: Oct 19, 15 7:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another happy ROKA user. I have an Elite and feel no restriction at all. I've only swam twice in the pool with it but the difference between htis suit and my old Ironan suit it amazing.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: Full Sleeved Wetsuit with least arm restriction [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knighty76 wrote:
I also recommend the Roka.

Buuuuuut, let me ask. And please don't feel patronised, but are you taking time to put the Tyr on properly? If you don't pull the bottom half right up into the crotch, and pull the top half all the way up and over the shoulders, you will get arm fatigue. If you aren't already doing this (you may be!) - after working the suit as far up into the crotch as possible, and then pulling up and over the shoulders, bend forward at the waist and each time you do, pull the rolls upwards towards your chest and shoulders. Being careful with your nails. Repeat a bunch of times.

I can make my Roka fit horribly if I don't pull it up properly! Same with my old Orca, the difference could be night and day.

Yeah....not my first full sleeved wetsuit....definitely have it pulled up. Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another Roka fanboy here, either the Pro or Elite (don't have experience with the Comp), the least restrictive suits I've tried (and I've tried a lot). Current 50 percent off sale and you can trial swim before deciding whether to keep.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The suits mentioned are all very flexible. I'd like to throw the Aqua Sphere Phantom and Racer wetsuits in here as well.

It's not just the sleeves that make the suits flexible. It is also what attaches them to the body. Our suits have a patent pending technology called Bio Stretch. This is a 1mm (2mm in the Racer wetsuit) panel that goes from the under arm all the way into the lower back area of the suit. This thin panel gives the thin sleeve a contact point that allows your range of motion to remain unrestricted.

As you enter the reach and catch phase of your stroke, this is where you will see the most restriction in any suit. The Biostretch zones allow your arm to rotate and you to reach without pulling against a 3mm panel. This opens up your range of motion.

I will add that in your research here, each suit is going to fit you a little different. It is important that you find the best fit possible. The fanciest suit on the market won't help much if it doesn't fit.

If you are interested in considering a Phantom or Racer wetsuit, please let me know. I'd be happy to help you find one.

jake

Get outside!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Our Predator and Alpha wetsuits have arm thickness of 0.88mm which is an exclusive/proprietary collaboration between Orca and Yamamoto Rubber Company. The Predator has more floatation properties and other features for longer distance races. However, if you're a good body position swimmer, our Alpha will be the most flexibility of any wetsuit on the market.

Let me know if you have any questions or check out our website at http://orca.com/us-en/wetsuits/list/

Kurt Luoni
US Sales Manager
Orca Wetsuits
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Roka Pro

I love mine
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Zone 3 Vanquish that I love doesn't feel restrictive at all.
Quote Reply
Re: Full Sleeved Wetsuit with least arm restriction [jakers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If the Aquasphere and Orca suits have an option to trial swim and return for full refund, maybe try them or even order multiple and compare them to the Roka. If they don't, it's a no-brainer to try the Roka first.
Quote Reply
Re: Full Sleeved Wetsuit with least arm restriction [niccolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Holy shit!
I wear a HUUB Archimedes and am starting to feel like I'm missing out!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have worn QR full suits starting with a 2000 standard full and then a 2012-ish Super full. Neither restricts my arms. I think I'm a pretty average built guy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zone3 Aspire- not even "top of their line" and still better than anything I've ever worn for flexibility (xterra, b70)

Tim Russell, Pro Triathlete

Instagram- @timbikerun
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mike Alexander wrote:
I wear the TYR Hurricane wetsuit. I have the same model (last years top of the line) sleeveless and full sleeved. Love the sleeveless, but tried the full length sleeves before my race this weekend and couldn't wear it because my arms fatigued and felt restricted in a practice swim. Without going through an expensive trial and error process of buying a bunch of different wetsuits, was wondering if anyone had a similar dilemma and figured out a solution. I do not want to go with separate "sleeves" and use a sleeveless. What was your solution/recommendation for a full sleeved wetsuit where you feel arm/shoulder restriction is limited?

The suit where the TORSO fits correctly. If you want THE most flexible sleeves, it's almost certainly the Orca Alpha. But that doesn't mean it's the best suit. I raced in an Aquaman quite happily for many years, and I still think the Cell Gold is one of the top-3 suits on the market. Because the TORSO is extremely well designed.

IMO, companies going to thinner sleeves is a response to trying to make suits for too many people - or not admitting that your suits don't fit certain folks.

The ROKA Maverick is one of the best suits I've used. The sleeves are thin. But not any thinner than suits I've used where the fit wasn't nearly as good. FOR ME.

Short answer - don't worry about the sleeves. Worry about the torso. Buy the suit that fits you right through the torso. Sleeve construction on all the best suits is very, very good.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mike Alexander wrote:

I think you might need the De Soto 2 piece. By far the most flexible arms due to the design and material. A lot of support on this forum for the De Soto suit.
Quote Reply
Re: Full Sleeved Wetsuit with least arm restriction [ScottWrigleyFit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ScottWrigleyFit wrote:
sentania wrote:

X2
I have a Elite and I love it. Favorite wetsuit I've tried to date.

If you purchase through TriSports there is a 90 day return policy. You could try multiple suits a few times before making a decision.

This. I've got a Roka Maverick Elite and I love it. No shoulder fatigue, very comfortable.
Quote Reply
Re: Full Sleeved Wetsuit with least arm restriction [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
johnnybefit wrote:
Mike Alexander wrote:

I think you might need the De Soto 2 piece. By far the most flexible arms due to the design and material. A lot of support on this forum for the De Soto suit.

DeSoto makes a good suit, but I've never understood the argument that the two piece design makes it far more flexible. Maybe in the days of stiffer neoprenes, but do people find that the top actually physically rotates at the waist relative to the bibs? Because it didn't for me, and as best I can tell, you'd have to engage in a physiologically impossible amount of torso vs leg rotation to make the top and bottom neoprenes actually squeak back and forth against each other with each stroke. Anyway, when my shoulders rotate, my legs rotate much of the way, are people keeping their legs horizontal in the water and only rotating their upper bodies? That seems like rather odd form.
Quote Reply
Re: Full Sleeved Wetsuit with least arm restriction [niccolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
niccolo wrote:
DeSoto makes a good suit, but I've never understood the argument that the two piece design makes it far more flexible. Maybe in the days of stiffer neoprenes, but do people find that the top actually physically rotates at the waist relative to the bibs? Because it didn't for me, and as best I can tell, you'd have to engage in a physiologically impossible amount of torso vs leg rotation to make the top and bottom neoprenes actually squeak back and forth against each other with each stroke. Anyway, when my shoulders rotate, my legs rotate much of the way, are people keeping their legs horizontal in the water and only rotating their upper bodies? That seems like rather odd form.

The 2 piece design feels like it is pulling less on my shoulders than a traditional suit. I have much less shoulder fatigue which is what the OP was asking about. Given that he has not tried the 2 piece, it is worth a look at least.
John
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recently tested 4 different wetsuits and the Blue Seventy was the best/easiest on my shoulders.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another vote for roka maverick pro, just got em on their sale 2 weeks ago and used em twice (once in an IM last Sunday) very flexible upper body.
Only bought cause of the reviews and sale offer, coming from orca sonar which I'm worn to death and I was happy with but the shoulder flex of the roka is noticeable.
Before the sonar I tried cheaper once of different brands and found the cheaper you go the less flexible it is and the other way around.
But the thin material can be easy damaged on the other hand.

-shoki
Quote Reply
Re: Full Sleeved Wetsuit with least arm restriction [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
johnnybefit wrote:
niccolo wrote:

The 2 piece design feels like it is pulling less on my shoulders than a traditional suit. I have much less shoulder fatigue which is what the OP was asking about. Given that he has not tried the 2 piece, it is worth a look at least.
John

Interesting, I suppose in addition to the top and bottom rotating separately from each other (which in my experience simply doesn't occur), the other way the two-piece might free the shoulders is in allowing effectively custom torso length sizing, i.e. the top can sit in the appropriate location relative to the bottom, not the arbitrary location of a one-piece suit. I have tried some suits--an older Orca Alpha, for example--that had disproportionately short torsos--but with most suits I think I'm close enough to the fit model for this to be a non-issue.
Quote Reply

Prev Next