Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Fuji D6 Cable routing issue/defect....
Quote | Reply
So I need some advice. I currently ride a Fuji D6 Sram Red build w/a quarq. I was starting to notice that I was having some sticking when shifting my front derailleur, so I took it into my LBS to have them swap out the cable and housing. What should of been a quick little fix has turned into a disaster. After removing the housing and cable, we went to install a new housing to run the cable. The housing would only go in about 3"-4". Tried routing a cable through backwards and would get stuck in the same spot. Then managed to fish the cable all the way through the correct way and noticed their was some binding. We then called Fuji and got in touch with one of their tech guys who tried walking us through some remedies in which none of them worked. He then stated this is a known problem and have had this issue with other D6's in the past. Basically what happened he said was the the guides for the front derailleur had collapsed and there was nothing that could be done to fix the issue. So now I have a frameset that is in otherwise great condition except for this problem. Fuji has offered me a $1000 crash replacement or 30-40% off a new bike. What are your thoughts or suggestions? Since this is a flaw/defect on there end should they own up to it and replace the frame for free??

Thanks for the advice good or bad in advance!!!
Last edited by: Dustin77: Jan 24, 14 9:05
Quote Reply
Re: Fuji D6 Cable routing issue/defect.... [Dustin77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How old is your D6?
Quote Reply
Re: Fuji D6 Cable routing issue/defect.... [SurfingLamb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kind of a tough call then. On one hand, it's a 4 year old bike. A manufacturing defect on a sporting goods item that lasted well for 4 years before showing itself is kind of pushing the boundary limits.

It's worth a shot to call someone at Fuji and try to talk to someone about it. Would be some effort on your part but it might result in you getting on a new bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is this for the front deraileur? Personally I would end up just running a single ring on the front. :> Although I don't live in a mountainous area so that is an option. Currently have a D6 and am going to be very careful with this!

NCCP certified Comp coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
take the grand and get yourself an upgrade four years is a good life and now you can get some cash back to buy another frame.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes the guide tube that collapsed is the for the front derailleur....
If I wasn't doing IM Brasil I really wouldn't mind buying a new bike but kinda have alot of money tied up in this trip currently and wasn't planning on a new bike...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It kind of stinks but you can make the most of it. No offense but the D6 isn't a very good bike. Make the best deal you can for a Norcom with the 40% or $1000 and you'll come out ahead.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a D6 pro as well. Havent had that issue but have had others problems. Anyways same exact thing happened to my Specialized Transition before I had the D6. Specialized replaced the frame. I had to send it in for them to look at. Thats actually when I bought the D6 because I assumed Specialized was gonna say SOL

I say ask for replacement. Especially if your a loyal Fuji customer.

"Keep those feet moving!" Me
Quote Reply
Re: Fuji D6 Cable routing issue/defect.... [runnerwv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
runnerwv wrote:
I have a D6 pro as well. Havent had that issue but have had others problems. Anyways same exact thing happened to my Specialized Transition before I had the D6. Specialized replaced the frame. I had to send it in for them to look at. Thats actually when I bought the D6 because I assumed Specialized was gonna say SOL

I say ask for replacement. Especially if your a loyal Fuji customer.

I have talked to Fuji Tech several times... They said this only happens when the customer doesn't take care of the bike and will not cover this... My LBS regularly maintains my D6 changing cables, housing and making sure everything is functional as well as me rinsing, cleaning, and lubing the bike regularly, they have also voiced this to Fuji that this bike was meticulously maintained... Bottom line Fuji doesnt want to own upto this and wants me to pay $1000 for a d6 crash replacement in which I refuse to do on a bike that has no major design changes since 09.... I currently have 2 D6's in my household and a SST 1.0..... Well needless to say I will be selling all of my Fujis and taking my business elsewhere!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dustin77 wrote:
I have talked to Fuji Tech several times... They said this only happens when the customer doesn't take care of the bike and will not cover this...

LOL! I bought a new, aluminum Fuji Team a number of years ago (20ish...ouch!). Not very long into my ownership period did I but notice that all the little welded on bits (cable guides, bottle bosses, DT shifter bosses, FD hanger) had begun corroding. The paint bubbled up all over, around and on these bits. Took it to the local LBS (a Fuji dealer) to take a look-see. Head mech said it was due to contamination of the weld sites. They tore it down and shipped it back to Fuji. When Fuji got it, they phoned the LBS and informed them that the corrosion happened because I did not take care of the bike and they would not warranty! Of course, it only corroded at the welded bit sites, not the tube joint welds nor any part of the bare tube lengths. Now, I'm not anal, but I take proper care of my rides. They get bathed when needed, waxed, lubed, adjusted, etc. The LBS knew this, plus the head mech knew his shit and they went to bat for me. Fuji finally relented and swapped it out for a new frame, but let the LBS know that I was on their shit-list and they would not take care of me ever again!

Guess corporate culture has lots of inertia for this many years to go by and the song remains the same.

Twenty-five years and my life is still
Trying to get up that great big hill
of hope
For a destination
Quote Reply
Re: Fuji D6 Cable routing issue/defect.... [runnerwv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same thing happened to me w/ Specialized. I sent mine in to them, and they ended up just drilling out an external cable stop for me.

Is that an option on the d6?
Quote Reply
Re: Fuji D6 Cable routing issue/defect.... [grosso27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No Fuji tech told me once the guide tube collapses then its done and your not getting the front derailleur shifting back...
Quote Reply
Re: Fuji D6 Cable routing issue/defect.... [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No offense taken ......... I also have a Fuji D6 that I love.
Curious- why is it not "a very good bike"?
-YT
Quote Reply
Re: Fuji D6 Cable routing issue/defect.... [psychosyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Serious question (I have a D6) .... how will you be careful with this?
-YT
Quote Reply
Re: Fuji D6 Cable routing issue/defect.... [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"No offense but the D6 isn't a very good bike."
On what basis do you say this? Have you ridden a D6?
Just because the aero figures aren't as good as some of the real top end bikes doesn't mean it isn't a very good bike.

The D6 is remarkably stiff and fast. It maintains speed and accelerates rapidly.
After 20 years of racing at Wildflower, I took 2 minutes off my PR on the D6, from 2:38 to 2:36.
My friend who is of similar capability can not keep up with me on his Cervelo P2.
I don't think many would call a P2 "not a very good bike".

This said it's too bad Fuji isn't being a bit more helpful/generous with a remedy.

Quote Reply
Re: Fuji D6 Cable routing issue/defect.... [twain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
twain wrote:
"No offense but the D6 isn't a very good bike."
On what basis do you say this? Have you ridden a D6?
Just because the aero figures aren't as good as some of the real top end bikes doesn't mean it isn't a very good bike.

The D6 is remarkably stiff and fast. It maintains speed and accelerates rapidly.
After 20 years of racing at Wildflower, I took 2 minutes off my PR on the D6, from 2:38 to 2:36.
My friend who is of similar capability can not keep up with me on his Cervelo P2.
I don't think many would call a P2 "not a very good bike".

This said it's too bad Fuji isn't being a bit more helpful/generous with a remedy.

+1

Also this is what jackmott says... which means it's law:
"The D6 with all those cables was a little faster than a 2009 P3 under at least one independent wind tunnel testing protocol.

Cables are not 'a big deal'. It is better to hide them but, that alone does not make a bad bike.

Probably informs why Fuji thinks ST is a bunch of bumshits, really, given the general opinion of that bike here, as it compares to the reality of it."
Quote Reply
Re: Fuji D6 Cable routing issue/defect.... [slow123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ill say this. ..I had a d6 and hated it. Moved to a kestrel 4000 and love it.

Lots of things wrong with the d6 imo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let me better explain what Specialized did...

Once the housing guide seized, twisted, got too sticky w/ drink (or whatever actually happened)...they drilled out the hole in the frame where the front derailleur cable exits, to make it big enough for housing to exit, so I could run a full length of housing from the shifter all the way through the frame.

They then glued/bolted on an external housing stop, which allowed me to run the front derailleur like normal.

Quote Reply
Post deleted by daquarian [ In reply to ]
Re: Fuji D6 Cable routing issue/defect.... [daquarian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 (888) 286-6263 is the direct number to action sports (fuji bikes).... Dont expect much from them!!!
Quote Reply
Post deleted by daquarian [ In reply to ]
Re: Fuji D6 Cable routing issue/defect.... [daquarian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No didn't wanna deal with Fuji anymore... Sold all my Fuji bikes and switched to Specialized..

Wasn't gonna continue to use Fuji products when they won't stand behind them...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can not for the life of me get the front brake cable to fish thu the fork. I t appears not to want to make the bend at the fork.. when I triy to go the back way up, the same problem. any thoughts. I temp have went external from the aerobar to the front brake
Quote Reply
Re: Fuji D6 Cable routing issue/defect.... [ray h] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You don't have the orange brake cable guide in there any more do you?

I made the mistake of pulling the orange cable guide out while trying to measure something.

Fortunately, I was able to get it back in and I think you can try the same procedure with just the brake cable if you don't have the cable guide.

I'm not sure which side you are trying to feed the brake cable through.

For starters, feed it through the bottom side up.

Second, because the fork bends into the steerer tube, if you push the brake cable straight up, it will get caught and not get into the steerer tube.

You have to curve the brake cable a little (if that's possible), so that it follows the curve of the fork into the steerer tube.

Let me know if that works.
Quote Reply

Prev Next