Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Front and Rear Tire Selection
Quote | Reply
A lot of talk about wheels and tires recently so I wanted to ask this question: when is it appropriate to use a 23mm in back and a 20 or 22 in the front? I realize that the 23 in back would be a good choice anytime, because it gives you a little more beef, even on good road surfaces. And what about going with an extreme setup for a course like the Esprit of 20 front and 22 or 20 in the back. Would love to hear some rules of thumb people use. (weight would be helpful).

"I really wish you would post more often. You always have some good stuff to say. I copied it below just in case someone missed it." BarryP to Chainpin on 10/21/06

Quote Reply
Re: Front and Rear Tire Selection [etocaj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On my training wheels I have 23mm (Michelin Pro Race) both front and rear. Racing wheels 19mm (Conti Podiums) both front and rear. Disc 20mm (Michelin Pro Race).

Don't really have any rules of thumb per se other than if I know the roads are not great I will race on my training wheels which are 404's anyway. They used to be my race only wheels but were demoted now that I have 808's as race only wheels.

Member of the Litespeed Factory Team
www.litespeed.com
Quote Reply
Re: Front and Rear Tire Selection [etocaj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think my setup is Alps upfront with 20 mm tires and disk rear with 23 mm. 20 mm tires upfront to maximize aerodynamics, 23 mm rear for comfort. Front tire is Conti Grand Prix & rear gets Conti 4 Season. I know some of you may say that those tires are a little too much too robust & heavy to be used for racing, but i think that if i can stay puncture free throughout 112 mi, then it would have saved me enough time to make the tradeoff. Having a flat during a ride is really aggravating as i would have to break my rhythm.

p/s: I don't even like to stop for peeing. Its just hard to get back into things.

Paul..
Last edited by: Paul: Sep 19, 06 8:30
Quote Reply