Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Frodo can go sub 8 in Kona...
Quote | Reply
First of all, this is not a shoulda-coulda-woulda posting that he could have beaten Kienle. Kienle won fair and square with perfect execution and did enough on the run to take the win. If Jan ran faster, I bet he would have a tough time closing the gap and Kienle had more gas in the tank to run a lot faster than 2:54. He just needed to protect his lead.

But coming over to Jan, this guy might be the greatest talent to ever show up in Kona...if he can get his execution right, it is scary to think how fast he can go. For a second let's remove the flat and the ensuing penalty (his fault for re entering the paceline in a drafting position). So that's 6-7 min right there. Transition execution can be better. For a guy who is an Olympic gold medalist obviously transitions are super smooth...so just getting exposed to the kona/IM set up should allow him to shave some time there.

The big place I think this guy can save time is run pacing

Here are his run splits start at sub 6 on Alii, but at the end he was actually running slower than Ben Hoffman

http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/events/americas/ironman/world-championship/ironfan/2014-oct-11/leaderboard.aspx#axzz3FrUQevTm

Mirinda actually starts out a touch slower than Jan but closes at the end at a very similar speed:

http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/events/americas/ironman/world-championship/ironfan/2014-oct-11/leaderboard.aspx#axzz3FrUQevTm

Given how much faster Jan runs a 10K than Mirinda, I would say that if anyone can take on Mark Allen's Kona run course record, Frodo can. He probably burnt a few matches post penalty too trying to get back into the bike game.

On a good swim and wind year, I'm thinking he can swim 2 min faster (so 49), bike around 4:25 (he biked 4:37 with the penalty and flat on this windy year) . With better transitions, it puts him stepping out of T2 at 5:19 and then with a better starting position and not feeling he has to chase, this guy can run 2:40. That puts the guy at 8 hours even.

At 33, with one Kona under his belt, there have to be a lot of good cracks at the win and maybe a sub 8. If anyone has the tools to pull it off, he's the guy. At least that was my thought watching him yesterday. The guy is amazing. A lot of guys would have mentally packed it in yesterday, but he kept fighting back. It reminded me of the lead pack in the run at Beijing 2008, with the constant attacks and surges and the big guy just hanging around not letting the bungee chord break waiting to open it up in the final 200m.
Quote Reply
Re: Frodo can go sub 8 in Kona... [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He's a pretty big boy to run a 2:40. If the conditions are perfect he might run close to 2:45. Wasn't the best run yesterday around 2:44 or so? Given the kind of winds you are likely to find in Kona, I'd guess a smaller guy would be more likely to take it. Although, Andy Potts is no waif and he ran 2:48....

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Re: Frodo can go sub 8 in Kona... [Robert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Robert wrote:
He's a pretty big boy to run a 2:40. If the conditions are perfect he might run close to 2:45. Wasn't the best run yesterday around 2:44 or so? Given the kind of winds you are likely to find in Kona, I'd guess a smaller guy would be more likely to take it. Although, Andy Potts is no waif and he ran 2:48....

-Robert

Frodo ran 2:43 in similar heat and humidity (from what people tell me) to Kona in Frankfurt. And he totally over ran the first half of that race and admitted to doing so, going for all or nothing. I agree he is a big man, but also quite lean. He' definitely bigger than Allen or Dave Scott. I think he can run close to or under 2:40 on the right day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He is my top pick for next year (and this year's race) if he remains healthy for next year. I do have a feeling that next year on the run we will see the guys pushed like never before by a few individuals. Let's see how the Ironman run looks over the next month or so. I have a feeling that someone shortly will smash the ironman run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, I'd bet a dollar he doesn't. Frankfort is not Kona by a long shot. Look at yesterdays times....

But I hope I'm wrong so 80kg men will draw inspiration from his anti-gravity act.

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah I like this dude Frodo. He'll be rocking next October for sure.
Last edited by: Me_XMan: Oct 12, 14 19:46
Quote Reply