Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Friends who want to borrow your race wheels
Quote | Reply
I had a friend hit me up to use my set of race wheels for his race this weekend. I said no because I didn't buy them for other people to use. I hate being selfish, but does anyone else feel like letting someone use your wheels is about like letting someone bang your girlfriend?
Quote Reply
Re: Friends who want to borrow your race wheels [T3_Beer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
T3_Beer wrote:
I had a friend hit me up to use my set of race wheels for his race this weekend. I said no because I didn't buy them for other people to use. I hate being selfish, but does anyone else feel like letting someone use your wheels is about like letting someone bang your girlfriend?

Nope.

-

The Triathlon Squad

Like us on Facebook!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Craftsmen don't lend their tools just because it's their day off.
That "RULE" applies here.

---

"Sometimes it's just easier to do it the hard way."
Quote Reply
Re: Friends who want to borrow your race wheels [othegrch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
how good of a friend he's he? Does he have the money to replace them if he dammage them?

Formely stef32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have loaned everything i have ever owned, except my wife, and i certainly do not own her. In the rare instance that i have to borrow something, i make sure as with my loaning, that it is understood that if you break it, you bought it. I think with that understanding in mind, loaning things to friends is fine.
Quote Reply
Re: Friends who want to borrow your race wheels [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The only problem with that idea is when you go for a ride on your previously loaned-out wheels and notice a problem sometime after your ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd let him pending if he broke it he bought it. That and a case of my favorite beer. I would hope my tri friends would do the same for me.

"A wise man once told me......God doesn't call the equipped, he equips the called."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Only an ass would ask this. If he can replace them if he breaks them then he should buy some.
Quote Reply
Re: Friends who want to borrow your race wheels [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I lend out pretty much all of my race equipment, being bikes, snow boards, etc. but only to people I know well enough to treat my stuff with respect. Some people are less fortunate than me but that doesn't mean they are less deserving.

Velosurance - bicycle insurance
Quote Reply
Re: Friends who want to borrow your race wheels [othegrch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
othegrch wrote:
Craftsmen don't lend their tools just because it's their day off.
That "RULE" applies here.

I think that is a silly analogy. Craftsmen use their tools to earn a living. Most triathletes use race wheels for weekend hobbies.
If one has to ask the OP's question, it begs the question as to how do you define "friend"?
I'd lend any physical possession I have to a friend. Friends are more precious than race wheels. Even if they are sweet-ass carbon toroidal whatchamacallits.
Of course, this is all merely my opinion and I am sure someone can explain why I am wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Friends who want to borrow your race wheels [00gauge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Qoute :"Some people are less fortunate than me but that doesn't mean they are less deserving".....Nice quote 00guage.
x1000
Stuff is made to be used.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I am not using them I will let my friends borrow them, sure. Some of you need to get the stick out of your ass.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seriously?

Some friend.

Yeah, friends can borrow whatever from me - wheels, bike, car, helmet, etc.

Hey, you asked for opinions.

Quote | Reply
If I was asked to borrow my wheels (or anything else of significant value) my response would depend 100% on who was asking.

Just a few considerations:

How close of a friend are they?
Are they generally a responsible person?
How do they treat their own stuff?
Would I consider asking to borrow something of theirs?
Do they have the resources to replace the item if it gets damaged?

BTW - if I don't know them well enough to know the answers to those questions, then the answer would be "sorry, but...."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
T3_Beer wrote:
I hate being selfish, but [ . .]

Clearly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Everyone has their own opinion, but I'm with the OP here. No offense to the following brand(s) [if I owned them], but I wouldn't mind lending my race-worthy Flo wheels, but I would mind lending, say, my Firecrest set. I might lend my friend a car, but not my Ferrari (no, I don't own one).

If you don't mind lending your wheels, then go ahead and lend them. If you don't want to, then don't. I wouldn't think you are overly selfish or generous either way.

[But if he lends you his girlfriend... ?]
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A set of brand new Firecrest 404's to ride Battenkill, well, I might come up with a lame excuse (even though I'd admittedly have no problem using them in that situation myself). But to use in a race or even just to try 'em out in reasonable riding conditions, no problem.

Does your girlfriend know you put her at the same level as your race wheels? I'd spend some time thinking about the relative value of relationships and material possessions.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by One and Done [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was once protective of my stuff. Now, I pay it forward. I don't wait for friends to ask- I offer.

Currently, I gave a cross bike to a plumber working n my rental Ouse who is a friend of a friend. I told him to consider it a long term borrow. I'll ask for It back someday. I have some xtr brakes and a mt. Bike wheel set lent to a friend. He has been winning some local races. Years back, I lent a bike to a marathoner training or a half ironman.

I figure, being self employed- every day is a risk. I make or lose money. What is the difference. If I'm in a position to help a friend, I will.

BTW- I recall that Eskimos share their wives with guests sleeping over!
Last edited by: jharris: Sep 14, 12 21:13
Quote Reply
Re: Friends who want to borrow your race wheels [One and Done] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't hesitate to let someone borrow them and would expect the same from any of my pals.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would likely lend them. For the right friends I would be inclined to offer them if I knew that they had a big race. However, I would never ask such a favor of a friend. So yeah ... all around pretty much like the girlfriend analogy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would never ask to borrow someone's wheels, but many times I have insisted friends use my race wheels if I knew they didn't have any. I've never insisted that a friend who was horny bang my wife, so I don't think it is the same thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you feel the same way about your race wheels as you do about your girlfriend...well...you are hopeless.

Lend the wheels. Someday you may need to borrow something from him. Just tell him if he breaks he buys.

If he starts asking every weekend then talk to him about buying his own. Otherwise, chill and enjoy the fact that your wheels are racing when you aren't.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've borrowed race wheels, but never asked. I wouldn't ask either, for fear of a situation like this. I don't lend things to all my friends, but i do have some friends I'd lend anything to (minus the wife.). Even let a dude take a road trip in my brand spanking new STi (at the time it was my prized possession and a huge purchase for me. Only two people could have gotten away with that.)

I'd wager theres one of 3 scenarios here: You're buddy overestimated his worth in your friendship. He's an idiot. You're stingy.

--------------------------------------------------------

It seemed like a good idea at the time. . .
Quote Reply
Re: Friends who want to borrow your race wheels [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rroof wrote:
Seriously?

Some friend.

Yeah, friends can borrow whatever from me - wheels, bike, car, helmet, etc.

Hey, you asked for opinions.

I agree. I loaned a pair of my ZIPPS to a friend who did his first Im in LP this year. Did I have to? No. But it made me feel good to help a friend and to play a little part of a pretty special day for him.

JM

"Hold on, you run a marathon AFTER you ride your bike?!?....oh, you people are just insane"......(my Mom)

Rockin' the W in 2013!! Wattie Ink Elite Team
Quote Reply

Prev Next