Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

French, Portuguese, Movies and Nicole Kidmann
Quote | Reply
no, it wasn't a contest between Paulo and I attempting to get a role in a movie with Nicole Kidmann (although that is tempting...)

Yesterday we saw the Interpreter and apparently, they didn't have an interpreter for the movie...

There is a scene where a woman interrogates a portuguese janitor...he always talks portuguese but the woman answers twice...in French!!! wtf???

maybe they didn't know these weren't the same language...
Quote Reply
Re: French, Portuguese, Movies and Nicole Kidmann [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah yeah yeah ... it's called suspension of disbelief. surrender to the movie and leave reality behind.

but ...

wasn't nicole kidman stunningly beautiful? i kept thinking, during the movie, how can she be so beautiful, and I never noticed before?

"In case of flood climb to safety"
Quote Reply
Re: French, Portuguese, Movies and Nicole Kidmann [j-son] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
always...always...I think I heard my wife say 'close your mouth and stop drooling' a few times, but that was in the background noise so I didn't pay attention...

I guess I will even go see Bewitched :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Better than this is when a character in a film is supposed to be obviously native French, Spanish, Russian, etc. (fill-in-the-blank), and yet speaks atrociously with a horrific non-native accent.

But even better than that is when someone talks a "fake" language in a movie. (This used to happen more often in american movies, when the producers figured not many american viewers would know the language anyway, as few of them study any language other than English, so why not save a few bucks?) I.e., an american film has mostly american characters, but for plot integrity, there are a few scenes with some russians talking amongst themselves. The problem is, they are not speaking Russian amongst themselves, they are actually speaking some kind of made-up Martian gobbleygook that is supposed to (ha!!) sound like Russian to someone who doesn't know the language.

That is the weakest (film) move of them all.

Where would you want to swim ?
Quote Reply
Re: French, Portuguese, Movies and Nicole Kidmann [Greg/ORD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
actually this also happens in the interpreter...
one guy is a french representant at the UN and starts talking and I thought that this guy was definitely not french...the accent was just atrocious...but it was still french though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Usually Portuguese people know how to speak French pretty well... especially if you are over 30+... French used to be a priority at school in Portugal in the past. My parents speak perfect French just from learning in school. But, yeah, that scene was funny! And he had a pretty strong Portuguese accent (from Portugal ) ;-)

----------

“You can't coach desire.” --Dathan Ritzenhein
http://xtreme4.com/ -- an extreme ride for extreme change: go green
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I see three problems here:

1. You are worried about the little details of an American movie. American movies don't care about details, it's all about doing something big and spectacular.

2. Nicole Kidman is not hot. She passed her prime years ago, get with the times.

3. You aren't out training/racing. I haven't had time or extra money to see a movie in theaters since I wasted my litttle extra cash on Troy. All movies I watch now are dvd's in bits and pieces between workouts and working.
Quote Reply
Re: French, Portuguese, Movies and Nicole Kidmann [Ze Gopha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1. true

2. plain wrong

3. you are poorly organized ;-)
Quote Reply