Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Freezing in the water BRRRR
Quote | Reply
Hello all!

I completed my first tri last year in lake ontario. My swim time was abysmal. I froze in the water, hyperventilated, and could barely swim. I wore a rented wetsuit.

I recently signed up for the Bracebridge, Ontario Olympic distance (this will be my second tri). I was worried about the prospect of freezing again so I've been conditioning myself to cold water by taking cold showers (a tip I got here from people who have the same problem). However, I recently visited a friend's cottage and went swimming in the adjacent lake. I was really comfortable in the water. If the race water in Bracebridge (Muskoka river) is that temperature I don't think I even want to wear a wetsuit (I would have to rent again).

Am I diluting myself? should I definitely get a wetsuit? Am I being reasonable?

Thanks for the advice!
Quote Reply
Re: Freezing in the water BRRRR [omatari] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wetsuit = faster. Do you want to go faster?

Quote | Reply
If legal I'd always wear the wetsuit. What were the water temps that day? You said you were cold in the rented wetsuit, sounds like it didn't fit you properly. Also, maybe it was the cold against your face and you tensed up and didn't recovery from it.

We have a cottage in Northern NY on Lake Ontario, It's amazing how much the large bay we're on can change temps depending on the winds.

<We all know that light travels faster than sound. That's why certain people appear bright until you hear them speak>
Quote Reply
Re: Freezing in the water BRRRR [dmacandcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do want to go faster. I guess that settles it. Ill rent a wetsuit.

Youre right, it wasnt my body, it was my face (feet hurt too but that didnt bother me too much). Every time my face went into the water I completely lost it. The water temps were between 15 and 19 Celsius.
Last edited by: omatari: Jul 25, 14 7:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When the water is that cold I always wear a neoprene swim cap. Makes ALL the difference of not being, as cold.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Freezing in the water BRRRR [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would that help with my face being cold and causing hyperventilation?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think most people, at least people I know, get an "initial" shock when their face hits the water. How I personally counter it is to try and get a pre-swim in if it is allowed. If not, and you just start hyperventilating, you should have a "safe" stroke or backup plan. Mine is I turn on my back, do some back stroke, try and calm down, and then proceed.

The neoprene cap, the neoprene socks if allowed, earplugs, that will help with the "froze in the water". But the face will still be an issue. I know people put on vasaline on their face but not sure it works or not.

Wetsuit for sure whenever it is allowed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
omatari wrote:

Face being cold is something you just get used to. We used to have workouts where our hair would freeze if we were stopped too long (Colorado winter mornings).

As far as the hyperventilation, did you wear a wetsuit and swim in it before the event? Many times people that are unused to how a wetsuit feels get claustrophobic, hyperventilate, etc. It's also possible that the wetsuit didn't fit right and contributed to the issues.

You can get used wetsuits for fairly cheap, I'd look into getting your own rather than renting.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Re: Freezing in the water BRRRR [Devlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
when you say used are there reputable stores that sell used or am i looking at kijiji and craigslist?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got mine on here from the classifieds and my wife got hers on Ebay. . . both are happy with the transactions
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
omatari wrote:

A number of my early season swims are in water in the low 50's. It is cold!! The rubber hat helps a lot.

BUT, I did get too cold 2 years ago and could not stop shivering before the swim start. I had done a few minute
pre swim that so many say to do.

NEVER AGAIN!!! Now before a cold water swim, I doing some jogging before the swim in my wetsuit.
I try to keep lots of clothes on over my wetsuit as long as possible. And others have suggested drinking something
warm before. I would survive if I never hit the water until right before the gun goes off.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
omatari wrote:
when you say used are there reputable stores that sell used or am i looking at kijiji and craigslist?

Both. I know that Tribe Multisport (Phoenix local) rents wetsuits, and will eventually sell them. Or, if you know what size you wear there are a ton that go through the classified section on here.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Re: Freezing in the water BRRRR [Devlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Devlin wrote:
omatari wrote:

Face being cold is something you just get used to. We used to have workouts where our hair would freeze if we were stopped too long (Colorado winter mornings).
As far as the hyperventilation, did you wear a wetsuit and swim in it before the event? Many times people that are unused to how a wetsuit feels get claustrophobic, hyperventilate, etc. It's also possible that the wetsuit didn't fit right and contributed to the issues.
You can get used wetsuits for fairly cheap, I'd look into getting your own rather than renting.
John

Holy Sh*t Batman!!! You swam outside year-round in Colorado??? Wasn't the pool's heating bill horrific??? I fully realize you were just swimming at the time with no "utility bill paying" responsibilities but really, I just don't see how that could be economical compared to swimming indoors. And I guess you had to run out to the pool on 10* F mornings and jump into 75-ish water, which sounds pretty damn cold if the air is only 10* F, but I'm guessing you were 14 to 18 at the time so you just did as you were told:) I swim at a club here in K'ville, TN, with indoor and outdoor pools. The club keeps the outdoor pool open from late March thru late Dec but it is closed for at least three months per year, and eastern Tenn is a good bit warmer than CO in the winter:)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
omatari wrote:
Hello all!

I completed my first tri last year in lake ontario. My swim time was abysmal. I froze in the water, hyperventilated, and could barely swim. I wore a rented wetsuit.

I recently signed up for the Bracebridge, Ontario Olympic distance (this will be my second tri). I was worried about the prospect of freezing again so I've been conditioning myself to cold water by taking cold showers (a tip I got here from people who have the same problem). However, I recently visited a friend's cottage and went swimming in the adjacent lake. I was really comfortable in the water. If the race water in Bracebridge (Muskoka river) is that temperature I don't think I even want to wear a wetsuit (I would have to rent again).

Am I diluting myself? should I definitely get a wetsuit? Am I being reasonable?

Thanks for the advice!

Don't dilute yourself. It makes you colder. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
omatari wrote:
I do want to go faster. I guess that settles it. Ill rent a wetsuit.

You're right, it wasn't my body, it was my face (feet hurt too but that didn't bother me too much). Every time my face went into the water I completely lost it. The water temps were between 15 and 19 Celsius.

I don't quite get this part, since when most people swim freestyle, their face is in the water all the time, except for about 1/4 of it that is kinda sorta "out of the water" for 0.5 second or less when breathing. so, were you swimming with your head out of the water or what???

Quote Reply
Re: Freezing in the water BRRRR [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
Devlin wrote:
omatari wrote:

John

Holy Sh*t Batman!!! You swam outside year-round in Colorado??? Wasn't the pool's heating bill horrific??? I fully realize you were just swimming at the time with no "utility bill paying" responsibilities but really, I just don't see how that could be economical compared to swimming indoors. And I guess you had to run out to the pool on 10* F mornings and jump into 75-ish water, which sounds pretty damn cold if the air is only 10* F, but I'm guessing you were 14 to 18 at the time so you just did as you were told:) I swim at a club here in K'ville, TN, with indoor and outdoor pools. The club keeps the outdoor pool open from late March thru late Dec but it is closed for at least three months per year, and eastern Tenn is a good bit warmer than CO in the winter:)
I don't know where Devlin swam, but the Flying Horse Country Club in Colorado Springs keeps it's outdoor pool open year round. They do keep an insulating cover on it, and as long as the air temp is over 20 degrees F, they will pull off the cover. I've swam Masters there in the winter with snow falling while the coach freezes ondeck. Which usually means that we work extra hard because she wants to torture us! But I love swimming at that pool in the winter!
Quote Reply
Re: Freezing in the water BRRRR [LoDewey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LoDewey wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
Devlin wrote:
omatari wrote:

John

I don't know where Devlin swam, but the Flying Horse Country Club in Colorado Springs keeps its outdoor pool open year round. They do keep an insulating cover on it, and as long as the air temp is over 20 degrees F, they will pull off the cover. I've swum Masters there in the winter with snow falling while the coach freezes on deck. Which usually means that we work extra hard because she wants to torture us! But I love swimming at that pool in the winter!

Interesting, thanks for this info!!! So, do you know if they keep the cover off all day so that folks can come swim whenever, or do they only take it off for a few hours during specified practice times??? Or can they take off one lane at a time??? For some years back in the 90s, this club in Nashville kept their outdoor pool open year-round and they had a cover that could be unfurled one lane at a time. Also, they had a "swim in" entrance, e.g. you swam under a wall from an indoor pool out to the outdoor pool, thus eliminating having to go out in the air in 20 degree weather in just your Speedo. However, I think they decided the cost was too much as this pool is now just a May to Sept pool.

Quote Reply
Re: Freezing in the water BRRRR [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
LoDewey wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
Devlin wrote:
omatari wrote:

John

I don't know where Devlin swam, but the Flying Horse Country Club in Colorado Springs keeps its outdoor pool open year round. They do keep an insulating cover on it, and as long as the air temp is over 20 degrees F, they will pull off the cover. I've swum Masters there in the winter with snow falling while the coach freezes on deck. Which usually means that we work extra hard because she wants to torture us! But I love swimming at that pool in the winter!

Interesting, thanks for this info!!! So, do you know if they keep the cover off all day so that folks can come swim whenever, or do they only take it off for a few hours during specified practice times??? Or can they take off one lane at a time??? For some years back in the 90s, this club in Nashville kept their outdoor pool open year-round and they had a cover that could be unfurled one lane at a time. Also, they had a "swim in" entrance, e.g. you swam under a wall from an indoor pool out to the outdoor pool, thus eliminating having to go out in the air in 20 degree weather in just your Speedo. However, I think they decided the cost was too much as this pool is now just a May to Sept pool.

They leave it off all day, and I've never seen them leave some lanes with the cover on, so I'm pretty certain it's just one large cover. They also manage to get the perfect temp so that you aren't too cold or too hot. I love swimming there because you can feel the cold on your ass to remind you to keep your hips up! And you can actually enter the pool (and hot tub) from inside the building and swim under a wall to get to the outside. So your stuff can stay dry and warm while you swim. However, sometimes the mist rising from the pool makes it impossible to see the pace clock. It's not a cheap club to join -- $7k initiation and about $300/month for a couple. That is the price for people that don't live in Flying Horse. I don't know what price you pay if you're a homeowner there. But the best kept secret is that Pikes Peak Athletics has a Masters Swim every Saturday from 7:30 - 9 for only $10/session. But the club doesn't let us hang out once it's done... they kick us riffraff out pretty quick!
Quote Reply
Re: Freezing in the water BRRRR [LoDewey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LoDewey wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
LoDewey wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
Devlin wrote:
omatari wrote:

John

They leave it off all day, and I've never seen them leave some lanes with the cover on, so I'm pretty certain it's just one large cover. They also manage to get the perfect temp so that you aren't too cold or too hot. I love swimming there because you can feel the cold on your ass to remind you to keep your hips up! And you can actually enter the pool (and hot tub) from inside the building and swim under a wall to get to the outside. So your stuff can stay dry and warm while you swim. However, sometimes the mist rising from the pool makes it impossible to see the pace clock. It's not a cheap club to join -- $7k initiation and about $300/month for a couple. That is the price for people that don't live in Flying Horse. I don't know what price you pay if you're a homeowner there. But the best kept secret is that Pikes Peak Athletics has a Masters Swim every Saturday from 7:30 - 9 for only $10/session. But the club doesn't let us hang out once it's done... they kick us riffraff out pretty quick!

Well, sounds like a great pool but IMO that's way too much to pay just to swim, and I've never cared that much for golf or tennis, too slow. I'll stick with my $56/mon club with the outdoor pool open 8 to 9 mon/yr. Much thanks for the info though!!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are going to race tri's regularly buy a wetsuit, and train in the cold water in the wetsuit.

I live in So Cal the Pacific is a cold place to swim 10months out of the year, and most of the people I know swim in a wetsuit ALL of the time.

If you swim in water below 70 you should own a suit.

2017 Cervelo P2
2017 Cervelo S2
itraininla.com
#itraininla
Quote Reply
Re: Freezing in the water BRRRR [gymrat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I grew up in NorCal and always thought that was the coldest place to swim because any place colder had indoor pools.
Guess I was wrong.
But 15 C with a wetsuit should not be all that cold.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A suit is a must have if you are planning on doing more tris. A neoprene cap may help even with your face being exposed because the cap will help prevent a good majority of the heat loss while swimming.
Quote Reply