Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Frame question
Quote | Reply
Any opinions on a Giant Propel Pro Advanced 0 vs Tarmac S-Works, both 2015 frames.

The price diff is minimal.

Currently I ride a Roubaix and am looking for a stiffer more aggressive bike.

I tested both yesterday. Unfortunately both were not my size, the S Works was too big and the Propel to small. Regardless I was more impressed with the Propel. I found it to be stiffer and more aggressive. The S works felt similar to my Roubaix, just stiffer. I am not sure how much the sizing affected my test. Just curious if anyone else had anything to throw in here.
Quote Reply
Re: Frame question [mjiclk350] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The propel is aero so will be faster. It has weird brakes, that might be a downside depending on your uses/preferences. Otherwise both are well designed bikes that work fine.

The stiffness thing is mostly just a feeling, one that can be confounded by components, especially wheels and tires (in other words, a bike might feel stiffer than another merely because of the wheels and tires on it, or the handlebars, or your imagination)

What do you mean by aggressive?

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Frame question [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
my more aggressive I meant faster and how one handles turns.

Thanks for your feedback
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mjiclk350 wrote:

Thanks for your feedback

Quickness comes from front end geometry with trail being the main ingredient. Trail is dependent on HT angle and rake though. A bike with a steeper head tube angle and shorter rake will steer "faster" than a longer and shallower frame.

You can compare frame geometries and see which should be quicker. However, numbers may not be exactly what YOU feel.

Other lesser factors to quick steering are "tiller effect" of the stem length, wheelbase and tires and your position on the bike. This changes center of gravity.

Note that whether a fork has a straight rake or a curved rake will not affect its trail. However most people think a straight rake fork feels more harsh.

Last edited by: android: Oct 21, 14 7:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Assuming each bike has a stack/reach that let you get in your preferred position, the only thing that will make a bike faster is being more aero or lighter.

As for the turns, both bikes you are considering are road race oriented bikes. To compare cornering, again you have to be careful to use the same wheels and tires, and even then your perception may lie to you.

I've still yet to see a crit race where everyone went through a turn and all the guys on brand-x bikes got gapped or fell over =)

mjiclk350 wrote:

Thanks for your feedback

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply