Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Fosimax side effects
Quote | Reply
Anyone know anything about this drug? I'm 65 and I was diagnosed with osteopenia ( beginning of osteoporosis) at the end of April. I was prescribed Fosimax and at my wife's advice, I waited until after American Zoffingen on May 17 to start the drug. I was rocking for AZ. I raced hard in the heat and it took two weeks to recover. Then we flew to Hawaii for two weeks. I rented a bike from Boca Hawaii and I really lacked strength on the hills but didn't thinnk anything of it. Three weeks before I was killing it on the hills at AZ, both running and biking. Running, I felt OK but all of our runs were flat around Haleiwa. I thought maybe I was still feeling it from AZ but it was now over three weeks. Going home was the plane ride from hell with three screaming babies and one of them right behind me. I got no sleep at all on the overnight to NY. It took me a week and a half to recover and get my sleep back together and my legs were dragging on all my workouts. Now, my sleep has recovered and I'm feeling good again but I have no strength in my legs. I talked to my brother who is not athletic this weekend. He asked me about the Fosimax and said that he was put on it and it made him so weak in his legs that he could hardly walk. Could this be what's happening to me? I've been taking it for seven weeks but today I skipped it. I'm going to stay off of it for a month and see how my legs feel. I looked online for sie effects and didn't see anything about leg weakness. I did see ''spontanious femur fractures'' which scares me big time.

So, does anyone have any knowledge of Fosimax? Is my weakness from the drug or is this just from being 65 and not wanting to act like it?

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Last edited by: Sweeney: Jul 6, 15 7:40
Quote Reply
Re: Fosimax side effects [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I did see ''spontanious femur fractures'' which scares me big time.

I have some bone issues and have looked into these meds (I am too young for them). Some of the research did indeed show people developing fractures :-(

You might ask your doctor about other meds (though I think all bisphosphonates have the same fracture issue) and about discontinuing the meds (ask if he/she is aware of the spontaneous fracture literature).

The leading researcher in this field used to be in my area; if I remember his name, I'll PM you.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Fosimax side effects [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.drugwatch.com/fosamax/side-effects/

Low Blood Calcium
Also called hypocalcemia, low blood calcium levels can lead to hand and feet spasms, muscle cramps and abdominal cramps. Since bisphosphonates hinder the natural breakdown of bone, less calcium is deposited back into the blood stream. As the tissues and cells get robbed of calcium, patients can suffer from soft bones, nausea, fatigue and muscle weakness. This can also lead to spasmodic movements and seizures.
Quote Reply
Re: Fosimax side effects [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
Might be of interest:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24935165

Care to explain?

Does the OP have myasthenia? Is the OP on steroids for it?

I am not trying to be mean, just making sure people don't misquote the literature or make false conclusions from case reports.

I have treated more than 100 patients with myasthenia, most of them are on steroids, and many are on alendronate as well because of steroid induced osteopenia/osteoporosis, and I have never had a single patient with this side effect. Can it happen? Sure, but I don't see how the article you quoted is relevant to the OP's question.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you discussed your symptoms/concerns with your physician? Sounds like something they'd want to hear about. There are other treatment options (that aren't bisphosphonates) for osteopenia/osteoporosis but they all have side effects. Ultimately it's a matter of risk benefit. Im a 54 yo female with crap for bones and been taking alendronate (Fosamax) for over a year with no problems. My spine and hip T scores have improved slightly.
Last edited by: sneaker: Jul 6, 15 18:08
Quote Reply
Re: Fosimax side effects [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've decided not to take the drug for now. I'll continue with the calcium that the dic prescribed and go back for check ups and see how it goes. If I do lose any more bone density, then we can look at another drug that might be better for me.

Getting old is a bitch, but it sure beats the alternative!

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply