Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Forum Bugs
Quote | Reply
You'll have to forgive me, but I've been a software tester for many years now, more years than I've been a triathlete in fact. Just like I can't stop working out, I can't stop testing software, so here's what I've seen from my first trip through the new forum. btw: I'm using IE6.

- the white lettering on the grey buttons makes it look like the button is disabled.

- I got a runtime error on my first post when I pressed Post Reply (I had not previewed the post). I then previewed and was able to Post w/o the error. I didn't bother to debug it.

- in the Main Index view, I do not get different colors for viewed and unviewed links. I guess you want us to use the icons, but it would be nice if we could rely on such a standard web metaphor.

- adding a seperator between the post and the auto-sig would help distinguish it. Some auto-sig's (Utan for instance) are just a text block and it ends up looking like part of the post when in fact it isn't.

- As Frank Day mentioned in the old forum, it wasn't very intuitive when I'm staring at a logon screen, that I need to follow the link to Sign-me up. better error text on a failed logon, or a better progression for first time (no cookie?) users could help with this.

- I was unable to login w/ the "Remember Me" setting checked. Having never logged in before I just thought I was in. After struggling for awhile to find my profile, I realized I wasn't actually logged in and eventually tried w/o the setting checked.

that's it for now. of course, as a tester, I'm used to the fact that all the bugs I find don't necessarily get fixed. Keep up the good work, nostalgia aside, this new forum is pretty nice.
Quote Reply
Re: Forum Bugs [brad in WA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
- in posting this original thread starting msg, I again got the runtime error. again clicked No, but this time instead of Previewing, I just hit Post a second time, and it successfully posted.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
spectacular post. thanks. just what we're looking for. all points well-taken. we won't be able to do anything for a couple of weeks, but when we're able to work on this again we'll consider all the points, most or all of which we'll try to fix/change.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Forum Bugs [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It would also be nice if it there were instructions on how to use some of the editor features. I'm sure that many people out there don't know how to use all the features.
Last edited by: jaylew: Aug 1, 04 11:25
Quote Reply
Day 2 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In the thread about cable routing, Tom included an hlink that was not parsed into a clickable link. I had to copy and paste. this was one of the more frequent complaints about the old school forum.

I'd like to see a Mark all as Read button. This would catch me up when I've read all the posts I'm interested in.

Bugs aside, I still like it (I feel it's necessary to include something positive since I don't know any of you, and I don't want anyone to think that I don't like the new forum. quite the contrary, if I didn't like it, I wouldn't bother reporting problems.).
Quote Reply
Re: Day 2 [brad in WA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

I'd like to see a Mark all as Read button. This would catch me up when I've read all the posts I'm interested in.
There is a "mark all as read" button, but you can only see it when you are logged in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's not a bug, but a feature request. Could we have a killfile associated with each profile so I don't have to see posts from some of the - er - less than helpful members here?

Thanks

matt
Quote Reply
Re: Day 2 [jaylew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hmmm. well, maybe the report should say that it the Mark All as Read button should be a bit more obvious. I've looked around a third time now and still don't see it. Is it called something different, or using an icon instead of text?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brad down in the lower left corner of the page is a table. The first column has a heading label of 'LEGEND'. The second row contains " = New post - Mark all read " if there are New posts. If all the posts are read this row in the table is collapsed, hidden, or removed.
Quote Reply
Re: Day 2 [Ron in NorCal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hmm. well, I'm still not clear exactly how it's supposed to work. given that it's included in the "Legend" my initial assumption was that by clicking on the icon for each given thread that I could mark it as read. however these aren't links (which is fine because I don't think that's too intuitive, even with the legend).

now if I had to guess, I'd say that listed within the "Legend" is a command button unrelated to the legend that will mark everything as read. wouldn't this make more sense if it was promoted as a button next "Expand All Threads" and "Post New"?

Hopefully I'm not just being overly dense. Unsure
Quote Reply
day 2 - part 2 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
now we're getting into more feature requests than bug fixes, but...

it took me awhile to fashion a sig that I was happy with. a sig preview window just below (or to the side) of the sig edit box with a button to preview sig now, would be nice.

I'd also prefer to have the default width of the Subject field be wider, so that it was less likely to wrap, and if you really wanted to get fancy, have the last post column clip the text so it would never wrap (including an ellipsis at that point would be a good idea). The main view looks much nicer when there is no line wrapping with a table row, but if I maximize then they are just too spread out. Another way to do it would be to change the date format to be a shorter format, maybe not even include the year, then you'd likely get the behavior I'm after w/o the hassle of trying to clip the text.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree it isn't intuitive and that a button up with the Expand/Collapse and Post buttons would be more intuitive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Found another one today. In this thread, http://www.slowtwitch.com/...;;page=unread#unread, the original poster included a long URL. this forced the table (or cell) containing his post to exceed the fixed width. perhaps you need some kind of wrapping code for really long "words"?

or perhaps we just live with it, because it's not that big of a deal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
not exactly a bug in the code, but I think the "Hot Thread" limit is set too low. it looks like more than half of the threads qualify as hot. I'd prefer to see something like 10 - 15% of the threads be hot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
something is wrong with the "mark all as read". I marked all as read when I was caught up on friday evening. I'm back on monday and it seems to think that I read everything through sunday.

maybe this is related to the post I saw about the slowtwitch clock being off.
Quote Reply