Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ford Ironman California 70.3 new category [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From the live report:

"Interestingly, only one athlete opted to swim the shorter swim course (750m) offer by the race organization due to cold water."

Seems like the majority of athletes agree...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The majority....HA.....ONE friggin athlete signed up for the 700 meter swim. It obviosuly was a STUPID idea and like it has been stated, it is just "watering down" the event...

Lar Dog
Quote Reply
Re: Ford Ironman California 70.3 new category [Uncle Phil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just read on the IM live website-

The weather at the transition area is improving. We now have mostly blue skies and, in the words of spotter Normann Stadler “it’s not too cold.”

14 athletes elected to do the shorter swim course.

Jonas Colting has dropped out.

Also - 6 cases of Hypothermia in the med tents.

"And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country" JFK - Replace 'country' with the company you work for, friends, family, and strangers and the world will be a much better place.
Quote Reply
Re: Ford Ironman 70.3 California new category [Erik Clark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
this is bullshit, bullshit, bullshit

always screwing the swimmers

disgraceful - trithlon real is - take a quick fun bath, bike, run

http://www.clevetriclub.com

rob reddy
Quote Reply
Re: Ford Ironman 70.3 California new category [mullinsm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Excellent....

Gary Geiger
http://www.geigerphoto.com Professional photographer

TEAM KiWAMi NORTH AMERICA http://www.kiwamitri.com, Rudy Project http://www.rudyprojectusa.com, GU https://guenergy.com/shop/ ; Salming World Ambassador; https://www.shopsalming.com
Quote Reply
Re: Ford Ironman California 70.3 new category [diamonddog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
14 athletes elected to do the shorter swim course.

So as it turns out, much ado about nothing.

Hopefully anyone associated with this race had a chance to see some of the comments here and coupled with the "real world" results will forever dump this idiotic notion.

Or just move all triathlons indoors so weather will not be an issue.
Quote Reply
Re: Ford Ironman California 70.3 new category [Mike C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice overreaction earlier, people. I hate to say it, but I thought that lots of people would take the easy route. I think we ALL underestimated the entrants, now didn't we?

I see CLM had a pretty good swim! ~39 mins. I'm thinking she'll be happy with that given her worries about a 1.2 mile breaststroke!

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply
Re: Ford Ironman California 70.3 new category [Aztec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If the RD's were supposedly reacting to the athletes in their offering of the shortened version it would have been logical to presume hundreds of them would have taken that route. So somehow there must have been something else at play here, perhaps someone putting a bug in someone else's ear about potential legal liability or some BS along those lines. Just speculating, don't have any inside info on any of it.

I see CLM had a pretty good swim! ~39 mins. I'm thinking she'll be happy with that given her worries about a 1.2 mile breaststroke!

Yeah, no kidding....nicely done, Cathy!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Or just move all triathlons indoors so weather will not be an issue."

------

I could not go in that many circles without getting dizzy and throwing up. People would suffer from too many cases of deja vu and forget how many swim, bike, and run laps they've done. :-)

=====================================
"Yeah you point a finger back far enough and some germ gets blamed for splitting in two."

Colonel Saul Tigh from Battlestar Galactica
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Harvard University is offering an optional 3 year degree for students who are not comfortable studying in demanding conditions. Your diploma will be marked with the new category so you can see how you finished compared to the fellow morons in your class. You will receive a graduates shirt and medal however you will not be eligible for real jobs, Graduate work at a real university (Yale), or a PhD at Sam Houston Institute of Technology.

We are offering this service for our students as it could be difficult to actually complete a full four year degree program. Please be stupid and consider what is in your best interest.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Klinggi,

Yes, I am that insecure. So insecure that I get all dressed up in skintight spandex every weekend so I can go strut my hairy pale body around on the beach in front of a bunch of strangers, then procede to have my ass handed to me by them. It's the pinnacle of insecurity, really it is.

The plus side to my terrible, burning insecurity is that I now have huge neck muscles. Whenever I am not strutting around in spandex I am strutting around with every medal that I have ever won strung around my neck. I tell EVERY single person I meet that I'M a triATHlete and that I'm AWESOME and that MY shit smells like lavender and lilies. I ask them how many medals THEY have won and I let them know that I've won MORE medals than they have. Putting the little people in their place really gets me off.

WTC changed the name of their half-iron series to "Ironman 70.3". So really, now that I've done a HIM that must make me an IRONMAN, right? Shit, I guess I can just quit training for a full IM because really, technically, I've already DONE one. God, why am I going to bed early on St. Paddy's day so I can train tomorrow morning when I could just be down at the bar getting piss-drunk and showing off my medals some more? Hell, I'm going to get the IM tattoo on my arm now so I can show that off too (right next to my Navy SEAL tattoo and barbwire armband tattoo, because since I met with a recruiter one time I figure I am basically a Navy SEAL and POW also). Really, whatever WAS I thinking?

I don't care if people swim 1.2 miles, 1 mile, half a mile, or choose to not swim at all. Let them do whatever they are comfortable with. But if you give them their medals and tell them that they finished a HIM, then let's mail the medals out to the 19% of IMWI participants who DNF'd last September, along with a letter of apology, because really it was just too hot and too windy to hold a whole IM race that day, and in retrospect even though they didn't complete the 140.6 mile race in the time allotted, we now realize that they really don't have to do the whole race in order for them to be an Ironman.

I didn't create the Ironman mystique, but I want to be a part of it. And I want to EARN it. No shortcuts, no handouts, no pussification. Like I stated originally, it's supposed to be hard.

Now, go smoke a pole.

mm
This has to be part of the ST hall of fame - great post!
Last edited by: Jason D: Mar 18, 06 17:37
Quote Reply
Re: Ford Ironman California 70.3 new category [Tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Okay, you owe me a new keyboard...

Yep, we've opened up a whole new set of categories for those that find things in general too difficult. Now, some would call them "public schools" (where my gosh, can't give a kid a "grade" since that might hurt his wittle self esteem thingie...let's give them all gold stars just for trying, even if the kid is dumb as a box of rocks)...but I digress...

Life should indeed come with those buttons from the office supply commercial---"That was Easy!"
Quote Reply
Post deleted by TimJ [ In reply to ]
Re: Ford Ironman California 70.3 new category [TimJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Booya!" to TimJ... Way to step up Daddy-O and take one for the team!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
-----------------------------

Mulinism Rambling Insecure Post snipped...

-----------------------------

I applaud the race directors for taking a proactive approach to safety. Somehow a "Just swim you wimp, I don't care if you are a 1 hour+ swimmer, take your medicine like a man." is not the Ironman spirit either.

The med tent was full of people with hyperthermia who where in the water for a lot less than 1 hour.

It was great that these folks took the option to get their race in. If they are proud of their medal, good for them, it was most likely a great achievement for them. Hope they sign up for other races and use the confidence they gained from yesterday.
Quote Reply
Re: Ford Ironman California 70.3 new category [aimmd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why do I care??

Because the recognition they receive - t-shirt and medal - is the same I will receive. And I can almost ghey will say" Yeah, last weekend I did the California Half-Ironman in (time)." Not that they did the shorter swim in (time).

Small point? yeah, but if you get recognized for doing a 1/2 then you should do the 1/2, not "almost a half". If they dont want to do the full event, then find another race, OR LET IM stage a completely separate race and give distinct medals and t-shirts.

Just my 2 cents.

"The men who try to do something and fail, are infinitely better off than those who try to do nothing and succeed." Lloyd James
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is what I get for not checking the net. I wish there was a race meeting that woudl have annouced this. I was/am sick as a dog and did the full distance. Any less work I could have done to get my moneys worth would have been good news to me.

With only 14 competitors in the shortened course I might have had a chance to be on the podium. Could I qualify for IMH this way?

The water was not really that cold yesterday. I got out and saw a friend waiting for his wave to start (M40-44) and told him it was not so bad.

Cathy, I cheered you on a few times out on the course. I was the guy in the green CSUS skinsuit. Sorry, it was way to windy to wear my cowboy hat.

Reverend Dr. Jay
Lake of the Pines Triathlon fastest bike course record holder - Golden State Super Sprint fastest tri course record holder - Wildflower Long Course slowest run course record holder (4:46:32)

"If you have a body, you are an athlete." -Bill Bowerman
Quote Reply
Re: Ford Ironman California 70.3 new category [Ancient1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At what point did this race become about the view others will have of us after crossing the finish line. And when did this sport make us different or superior. The Ironman race is much more. Frankly, I'm insulted that we ALL have lost sight of what this race really is. We face these tough conditions for more than a shirt, more than a medal, and more than recognition. Its about defining ourselves for ourselves and no one else. I know my pain, I know what it takes, and I know that I cannot, in any amount of word, accurately describe that to anyone else. So this race is for me, not someone's perception of me.

"swim, bike, run to discover yourself"

-BD

EJ
"carpe deim"
Quote Reply
Re: Ford Ironman California 70.3 new category [Styk33] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah, I wondered who that was!
Hope you are feeling better.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Ford Ironman 70.3 California new category [trixy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The med tent was full of people with hyperthermia

Are you sure about that?

Behold the turtle! He makes progess only when he sticks his neck out. (James Bryant Conant)
GET OFF THE F*%KING WALL!!!!!!! (Doug Stern)
Brevity is the soul of wit. (William Shakespeare)
Quote Reply
Re: Ford Ironman 70.3 California new category [trixy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That would be HYPOTHERMIA...unless someone was wearing 3 wetsuits a hood and some swim caps along with a palstic running suit while they were swimming.
Quote Reply
Re: Ford Ironman California 70.3 new category [Ancient1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Take that one to the bank Ancient1.. Rack em TimJ! Well done, well said; and way to represent Minneola.

If Ancient1 was any more off base, he would be a retired army dude...oh wait...he is! Peace.
Quote Reply

Prev Next