Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Flying w my bike (Southwest Airlines)
Quote | Reply
I’m flying this week for the first time and debating which bike to bring.

If SWA damages my nice carbon frame, what’s their liability limit? I tried to search and some places show $3500, but others say $1000

I’m using the Thule Round Trip Pro XT , and it feels solid - but the frame is worth way more than $3500 and I don’t want it to break!
Quote Reply
Re: Flying w my bike (Southwest Airlines) [mvenneta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If your bike is damaged, the airline will deny that they caused it and drag it out as long as possible.
Quote Reply
Re: Flying w my bike (Southwest Airlines) [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably. So I’ll pack nicely and take pics

But what’s their liability in the event the bike is broke in transit?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know they will make you sign a waiver if you have a soft case
Quote Reply
Re: Flying w my bike (Southwest Airlines) [Greatzaa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you tell me more? Does the waiver limit their liability?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you use a soft case, the airline might have zero liability.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mvenneta wrote:
Can you tell me more? Does the waiver limit their liability?

Yes, they will only cover a certain amount. Check with your homeowners as that's your best option should something go wrong.

Kiwami Racing Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Some bike shops have hard case rentals. It may be worthwhile to rent one.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Years ago I had actual bike insurance.

Carbon frame was damaged falling off a rack. Insurance paid almost $4000 for a new one. It was many years ago. As I remember it was only something like $50 a month

Maybe a google search will find something
Quote Reply
Re: Flying w my bike (Southwest Airlines) [playguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Texas HOI has deductibles of 1% of home value

Unfortunately not an option

I’m asking what the airline liability is
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I fly Southwest almost exclusively and have a soft case. I have resigned myself to the understanding that if my bike is damaged, they will likely have no liability. That is what the waiver states. BTW, they make me sign the same thing for my golf clubs and I believe I have the best travel case available. My only other choice is to fly someone else, but I assume other airlines are the same
Last edited by: Greatzaa: Feb 13, 22 18:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mvenneta wrote:
I’m flying this week for the first time and debating which bike to bring.

If SWA damages my nice carbon frame, what’s their liability limit? I tried to search and some places show $3500, but others say $1000

I’m using the Thule Round Trip Pro XT , and it feels solid - but the frame is worth way more than $3500 and I don’t want it to break!

having such expensive bikes deserve an expensive and safe case so you don't have to worry about these questions (at which you ll not find the answer)
Get Bike Box Alan, yes it is expensive but still less expensive of one of the 2 wheels i use for racing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Appears to be $3,800.00 for domestic travel.
Quote:
Liability
Domestic itineraries: Southwest Airlines' liability in the case of lost, damaged, or delayed baggage is limited to $3,800.00 per fare-paying Customer.
International itineraries: Southwest Airlines’ liability in the case of destruction, lost, damage, or delay of baggage, whether checked or unchecked, is limited to 1,288 Special Drawing Rights for each passenger under the Montreal Convention or the Warsaw Convention, whichever may apply.

Source: https://www.southwest.com/...hecked-bags-pol.html
Quote Reply
Re: Flying w my bike (Southwest Airlines) [Plissken74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Technically, the BBA (and most hard sided cases I think) are over sized and cannot be checked. The limit is 80 linear inches on SWA. The BBA is 97 linear inches. I don't know of anyone who has ever been denied checking a hard bag, but there it is.
Quote Reply
Re: Flying w my bike (Southwest Airlines) [ThomD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThomD wrote:
Technically, the BBA (and most hard sided cases I think) are over sized and cannot be checked. The limit is 80 linear inches on SWA. The BBA is 97 linear inches. I don't know of anyone who has ever been denied checking a hard bag, but there it is.

Last September after Utah 70.3 I was on Southwest from Las Vegas to LAX. bike box Alan triathlon version, no issue at all
I think there are a lot of myths around from people who actually never flew with bike boxes
I have been traveling around the world in the last 25 years with my road or TT bike from south east Asia to North America, Middle East and Europe and never ever a single issue. The only point I suggest to check is that you don't have a super small aircraft for short flights which can not take too much luggage on. But from A320 onward, no problem. If aircraft is small, give them a call in advance just to be sure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I see them all the time in airports at events, so clearly there is no enforcement, but potential buyers should be aware that one over zealous ticketing agent can be a problem.

This isn't a myth, the limit is a fact. It just isn't enforced.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThomD wrote:
I see them all the time in airports at events, so clearly there is no enforcement, but potential buyers should be aware that one over zealous ticketing agent can be a problem.

This isn't a myth, the limit is a fact. It just isn't enforced.

from Southwest
Sports Equipment - Special Items
The items listed below will be accepted as Checked Baggage for a $75 each way charge.
  • Bicycles (defined as nonmotorized and having a single seat) properly packed in a bicycle box or hardsided case larger than 62 inches in total dimensions will be accepted as Checked Baggage. Pedals and handlebars must be removed and packaged in protective materials so as not to be damaged by or cause damage to other Baggage. Bicycles packaged in cardboard or soft sided cases will be transported as limited release items. "

Bike Box Alan Triathlon is 52 x 37 x 20 (inches)

so what isn't enforced, sorry?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SWA's web site is good example of inconsistent information.

Weight and Size Allowance
Southwest will accept the first two checked bags for free provided that the bags do not exceed 50 lbs and 62 inches (L+W+H). Overweight items from 51 to 100 pounds and oversized items in excess of 62 inches but not more than 80 inches will be accepted for a charge of $75.00 per item one-way. Only one $75.00 charge applies if the piece is both oversized and overweight, regardless of the weight as long as it does not exceed 100 lbs. Excess baggage which is also overweight or oversized will be charged excess baggage plus the applicable oversize or overweight charge.

Like I've said repeatedly, I see these bike boxes in use, so clearly they are being checked.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't understand: are you worried that they refuse to load your box or that they overcharge you?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mvenneta wrote:
the frame is worth way more than $3500 and I don’t want it to break!

Then bring your cheaper bike, get a hard case or find a place to rent a bike in your destination. Zero chance I'd put a frame worth 'way more than $3500' in a soft case for air travel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I spent 20 years with FedEx and I am still confused by dimensional size.

It is generally length plus width plus height.

Southwest it appears will ship bikes under this policy:

Sports Equipment - Special Items
The items listed below will be accepted as Checked Baggage for a $75 each way charge.
  • Bicycles (defined as nonmotorized and having a single seat) properly packed in a bicycle box or hardsided case larger than 62 inches in total dimensions will be accepted as Checked Baggage. Pedals and handlebars must be removed and packaged in protective materials so as not to be damaged by or cause damage to other Baggage. Bicycles packaged in cardboard or soft sided cases will be transported as limited release items. "

• Bicycles (defined as nonmotorizedand having a single seat) properly packed in a bicycle box or hard-sided case from 51 to 100 pounds in weight or 62 to 80 inches in total dimensions will be accepted for an overweight and oversize baggage fee of $75 per item. Pedals and handlebars must be removed and packaged in protective materials so as not to be damaged by or cause damage to other Baggage. Bicycles packaged in cardboard or soft sided cases will be transported as limited release items. Bicycles over 100 pounds in weight and 81 inches in total dimensions cannot be checked as baggage and can only be shipped as Cargo if the Customer is a known Shipper.

I can't find a maximum limit on liability for sports equipment shipping.

There's always Brian Regan's hilarious take on Dimensional Weight!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89frRi8GgGA

Fast-Finishes.com
Triathlon and Running Race Timing
Athletic Event Management
Quote Reply
Re: Flying w my bike (Southwest Airlines) [themuse1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have a look at this recent thread, near the end for SWA:https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...g=southwest#p7658977. The key, apparently, is the use of 'AND' and 'OR' (for SWA). The policy is as clear as mud. Intentional or not - hard to know. But the way *I* read it: Under 50 pounds and under 62 linear inches = fee-free luggage. Over 50 pounds but less than 100 pounds and under 62 linear inches = overweight luggage ($75 fee). Under 50 pounds and over 62 linear inches but less than ??? linear inches (not clear) = oversized luggage ($75 fee). Over weight (50-100 pounds) AND oversized (more than 62 but less than ??? linear inches) is not allowable as checked baggage, but could be cargo if the passenger is a registered SWA cargo shipper. This last part is the concern - few bike boxes will be under 62 linear inches, so to be confident about checking the bike box on SWA, you need to be under 50 pounds. I think. Other airlines are clearer in their bike policies...
Quote Reply
Re: Flying w my bike (Southwest Airlines) [giorgitd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My daughter races draft legal all over the county. Because of the companion pass we fly SWA almost always. This mean we have done at least 25 round trips (50segments) over the last few years. Bike is packed in an evoc soft case. I have never signed a waiver, unless it’s the small print when you pay the $75 fee. As others have said, I doubt there is any coverage, but we have had no problems. I think the biggest danger is TSA. When we open the bag, it has been rifled through and often times the straps are left unbuckled and padding has not been replaced properly.
There’s another thread about flying with a bike that touches on SWA so I’ll include my experience here. My bag is 103 inches and has never been questioned. I have never worried about weight so I don’t know what we generally come out at. It’s very rare that the bag gets weighed. Generally, they just have you wheel it over to a place for oversized bags.
As security, I take a picture as it’s being taken away and try to get one as it’s being loaded on plane. I also have an Apple air tag in the bag.
Quote Reply
Re: Flying w my bike (Southwest Airlines) [terrymattice] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>> I think the biggest danger is TSA.

Yes. They have opened my Trico Ironcase every time I've flown with a bike.

The advice from someone who's been doing this a long time: get a hardshell case that is easy to open and close. No air bladders or straps that have to be loosened to unbuckle them or anything like that. TSA will not take the care necessary to reclose the box. Make it easy and the bike will probably arrive undamaged.
Quote Reply
Re: Flying w my bike (Southwest Airlines) [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
>> I think the biggest danger is TSA.

Yes. They have opened my Trico Ironcase every time I've flown with a bike.

The advice from someone who's been doing this a long time: get a hardshell case that is easy to open and close. No air bladders or straps that have to be loosened to unbuckle them or anything like that. TSA will not take the care necessary to reclose the box. Make it easy and the bike will probably arrive undamaged.

When I pack up my Trico Ironcase I leave the straps slightly loose so they are easy to put back together with no adjustment required.

A few years ago I received my case with the straps really loose, I think the TSA was just too lazy to tighten things back up when they were done inspecting. I make it easy for them now.

Also, I've had broken buckles the last few times I've flown, it's probably from the handlers.

This is what I've replaced the broken ones with:
https://www.rei.com/...wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
Quote Reply

Prev Next