Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Flash Point 60 Wheels
Quote | Reply
Who's got'em? What are you thoughts on the wheels? Do the current models look like this

or Like this?

"Obsessed" A word the unmotivated use to describe the dedicated.
Quote Reply
Re: Flash Point 60 Wheels [RIPTIDE 11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Had a set, but sold 'em. They came as part of the build kit on a new bike, but since I already have a set of race wheels, I figured I could use the cash instead of yet another wheelset hanging in the garage. I rode 'em a few times before parting with them - here's my impressions. They're very nice wheels - well constructed, super nice carbon layup, tight n' quiet hubs, and ovalized aero spokes. This is a very solid wheel that'll last a while. The biggest difference I noticed between the FP's and the 404 is a slightly higher lateral stiffness in the latter (the 404). Overall, I say they're a great value and if I didn't already have a set of 404's, I'd be racing on them this year. As for the graphics, I saw a newer set at a shop recently and they had the decals as shown in the top photo. Hope that's some help.

Mike

http://www.litespeed.com
Quote Reply
Re: Flash Point 60 Wheels [mthammer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the imput Mike.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have these and I love them!!

'In the pursuit of excellence comes pauses - I'm currently in one of those pauses'.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got some last week with a bike I bought. I have only ridden them twice but they seem pretty nice. The white decals are available on their web site if you like that look better. I took mine off for the stealth look. Josh has written about these a bit on this site. They seem like pretty darn nice wheels for the money and were made in some older 404 molds/tooling.
Quote Reply
Re: Flash Point 60 Wheels [TriMike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
The white decals are available on their web site if you like that look better.
Can you point us to where? Maybe I'm an idiot, but couldn't find it.
Quote Reply
Re: Flash Point 60 Wheels [Iron Buckeye] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.flash-pointracing.com/

-----------------------------------------------
evanoff.ca

Quote Reply
Re: Flash Point 60 Wheels [mr_tin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry, I should have been more clear.

I meant where on their web site do you see the part about being able to buy the decals?
Quote Reply
Re: Flash Point 60 Wheels [Iron Buckeye] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
another question about these wheels: what's the price? (I don't see it on their website) are they notably cheaper than 404s?

Re: Flash Point 60 Wheels [fuzzy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They are around $1100 - 1200
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They are running several magazine ads that say $1100 per set.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I looked at a set last night at the LBS and they look awesome! I was talking with one of the guys in the shop about them and he mentioned that because the hub portion of the wheel was black anodized it would be less susceptible to pitting like the 404 and that the spoke configuration on the FP's was a better setup than the 404. I'm not sure if that's correct, but it sounded good. I did get to look at these wheels side-by-side with a set of Zipp 404's and for my budget these are the wheels for me! The cost is $1100.00 for the pair. or Front $495 / Rear $605.00

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did the brand spin off and become its own company? AFAIK, Flashpoint is a Zipp product......
Quote Reply
Re: Flash Point 60 Wheels [bigdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, we did not spin it off. Flashpoint is a Zipp product line, made here in Indianapolis, in the same facility as the Zipp line. Just brand named differently, as they are a different design, and we buy the hubs as opposed to manufacturing them as we do the Zipp hubs, allowing us to sell them much more affordably.

Fit matters most. None of that aero sh*$ means beans if you are monkey humping the bike up and down the road… anonymous
51Speed Shop fitter and consultant
Quote Reply
Re: Flash Point 60 Wheels [IndyTriRip@Zipp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Dave from Zipp: Sorry to hijack the thread but can you tell me how much impact there would be to FP 60's if you ran 23's vs recommended 21's (tires)? Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I probably could not shoot you accurate figures off the top of my head, also the type of tire would make a difference. But, the difference would not be so great that it would be worth the peace of mind that you would lose if you were worried about racing on 21's. The shape of the tire at full inflation will have as much or more to do with the air flow than the size. Stick to an industry accepted "fast" tire and you should be fine. If you want a percentage difference go to one of the published LSWT tests of the 404 clincher with the different tire sizes and check the drag differences. The FP60 will react the same. Hope this helps.

Fit matters most. None of that aero sh*$ means beans if you are monkey humping the bike up and down the road… anonymous
Quote Reply
Re: Flash Point 60 Wheels [IndyTriRip@Zipp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome! Do you happen to know where the wind tunnel data can be found? I am only asking because the wheels came with a brand new pair of Conti GP 4000 so it would be nice to use them if it doesn't cost me much (aerodynamically speaking). Great wheels by the way...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hate to rain on your parade but the GP 4000s are not one of the industry standard "fast" tires that Zipp refers to. They'll cost a lot in Rolling resistance from what I've heard.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can almost assuredly tell you that we won't have data on the GP 4000, especially on a smooth sided 404. Although a very nice hand made tire with alot of puncture protection, it is not typically known as a "fast" tire. RR numbers on these are not the best. If you are going to race on them, I would stick to something with better RR numbers like a Vittoria CX, or a Michelin ProRace2, which you can get in a 23, you will still have some flat protection, but much better numbers.
As far as the difference in drag, you are looking at a handfull of watts, which is probably less than the margin of error in the tunnel.

Quote Reply
Re: Flash Point 60 Wheels [Runless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I figured that would be the case...guess I need to pony up for some Tangente ($80/each for a clincher) or maybe some Vitorria's. It is not that easy to even find a size 21 tire. What about Michelin Pro Race...I think they come in a 20?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Careful now, don't go too narrow. 21 is about as narrow as you want to go. The actual inflated size of a typical 21 is more like 22 or 22.5 and our rim shape is optimized between 21 and 22.5. Pro Race2 is a great all round tire, and pretty affordable.

Quote Reply