Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Fit, before or after.
Quote | Reply
So I finally get to buy a Tri Bike. Now what I need to know is should I get fit first and then choose a bike from there. I am not tied to any manufacturer so I figure it should be 6s. What do you think?

When it's good, it's good. When it's bad, you suffer.
Dan
Quote Reply
Re: Fit, before or after. [WryMouth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Before 100%
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Before, unless you want to risk getting a bike that doesn't fit or needs lots of alterations.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Before, I went in to buy a tri bike, and thought I knew the couple of brands I wanted to try, and ended up with a completly different brand because it was much easier to make small adjustments to it vs having to make major adjustments to the brands I thought I wanted.

And also know that a 54 bike of one brand can be completely different from a 54 bike of another brand. Every bike I've ever owned was a 54, and I'm now riding a 51, and the geometry (well, how I have it set up) is almost exactly the same as a 54 from another brand.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've always thought people were a little bit anal retentive about bike fitting. IMO for the vast majority of people, any bike the correct size can fit. Hell, many pro teams use standard-sized bikes, and they don't even get to chose the brand.

That being said, since you have the choice, do the fit first. You will still have the option to ignore the results if your dream bike is not in the list :)
Quote Reply
Re: Fit, before or after. [nico] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]
You will still have the option to ignore the results if your dream bike is not in the list :)[/reply]

And then you can be miserable because the bike didn't fit right. Go with the fit first.
Quote Reply
Re: Fit, before or after. [glbrum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This always confuses me also. I am looking to get a bike year end. I have spoken to my local bike shop and they are saying I will fit into something but how does that work. He is going to make one of his bikes fit. So how will I know if something could have fit better? I like buying local but having year end deals everywhere I would like to know if I can pick something else up at a good price (06) instead but he is only going to fit me in his Orbea or Cannondale so I wont know if I could have fit on a Cervelo or QR for instance. I am wondering if I should go to Philly or NY to a big shop and get fitted. Could those measurements be formulated into other brand bikes somehow or not? I am willing to pay for a fitting if I think that those measurments can help in some way.
Quote Reply
Re: Fit, before or after. [fryguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fryguy et al - there's lots of way people "do it" and by "do it" I mean make a sale of a bike that's relatively close to fitting you the buyer. Often times they can ask "how tall are you?" "What's your inseam?" - and based on those two very general items can ~70% of the time put you on a bike that's close to perfect and then make it perfect with changes to: seat height, seat angle, seat rail slide as well as different stem (shorter, longer, different angle) and tweaking the stack height. This can work. You can stumble into a perfect fit this way.

The problems that can sabotage this process are plenty: maybe the sales person only asks your height and even though you are 6'3" your inseam is 28 and you're all torso. Maybe the sales guy sells Trek and behind those mowers over there some others Treks, and no matter what your body type is Trek doesn't vary enough in top tube length to work for you. Maybe the sales person simply doesn't care or doesn't realize that a triathlon should be positioned on the bike differently from someone doing a fundraising ride. Maybe if you get a 58 in that bike you leave with what ever is "spec'd" on that bike and they don't do none of that funny swappin' of parts kinda thing. And on, and on, and on.

Even if you're gonna skimp and by a lower end bike in some manufacturers line, and even if that's going to be dressed out in Ultegra or, dare I say it, 105 - then it's still worth it to get the fit done before hand. This will let you discover comfort and power that you might not even know or feel if you wind up on an ill fitting bike.

Now - there can be issues with the fit too. Do some research on the fitter you plan on going to (one research idea might be to check on F.I.S.T certified fitters right here on ST). Be clear with the fitter BEFORE you go that he/she understands the type of riding & racing you'll be doing, and that you'll leave there not with just a bunch of numbers but some options of bikes that would be right for you.

Hope that helps, Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Fit, before or after. [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok, now that we have a general consensus. Where to go to get fitted. There is no F.I.S.T certified Bike shop in my area. Closest is in Southern California which shop would you recommend?

Dan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where are you?

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Utah, Salt Lake.

Dan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hazards is in Santa Barbara, B&L in San Diego, and Edge in Orange County - those are all good.

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I grew up in San Diego and still have family there, so it will be San Diego.

Dan
Quote Reply
Re: Fit, before or after. [fryguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Could those measurements be formulated into other brand bikes somehow

easily. If the store you visit can't then I can for you
Quote Reply
Re: Fit, before or after. [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ianpeace,
You see my dilema, I dont want to be pushed into something because that is what they sell if there is something better out there for me. I guess I need to find someone that sells a lot of the major brands and then get fitted there.
Quote Reply