Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Fishes, important training question...
Quote | Reply
Do you train in the pool with music? What's the best system? Air conduction or bone conduction? Best playlist for swimming? My swimming sucks and it would probably behoove me to pay full attention to what I'm trying to accomplish but some days I think it would just go easier if I was listening to tunes while stroking.
Quote Reply
Re: Fishes, important training question... [roubaixman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No music. Just swim.

I think a headphone system would bother me. I would be interested in an underwater speaker system, but the ones I've seen are expensive.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
roubaixman wrote:
Do you train in the pool with music? What's the best system? Air conduction or bone conduction? Best playlist for swimming? My swimming sucks and it would probably behoove me to pay full attention to what I'm trying to accomplish but some days I think it would just go easier if I was listening to tunes while stroking.

Can't go wrong with a little Barry White to set the right mood for some stroking...

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nope. Tried it before and it is just a pain in the butt IMO. Plus, when I see people at the pool utilizing some form of music player, they are always stopping to fight with it.

Focus on your form, pacing, breathing etc.

"Just don’t abandon everything you’ve ever learned because of something someone said on the internet." - Eric McGinnis
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I only have music while I swim if someone is playing tunes on deck. But you can't really hear that under water, just a faint amount.

Part of improving your swimming is being present for every stroke, and focusing. I wouldn't recommended a music player unless/until you're a top notch swimmer who can cruise on autopilot.

"Don't you have to go be stupid somewhere else?"..."Not until 4!"
Quote Reply
Re: Fishes, important training question... [abrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sometimes the syncro team is practicing in the deep end of the pool while lane swim or masters is in the shallow end.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
roubaixman wrote:

Several of my swimmer friends who used to swim fairly hard masters swimming workouts have burned out on swimming with any intensity, and now they all swim with the headphones, and they've all gained weight. Can you not bring up tunes in your head to swim by??? I do that a lot, bringing up faster tunes when swimming hard, slower tunes for warm-up/cool-down. Focus, focus, focus...

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Fishes, important training question... [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Sometimes the syncro team is practicing in the deep end of the pool while lane swim or masters is in the shallow end.

I'm the parent manager for my daughter's synchro program, so I've got one of those sound systems at the house. Never thought to bring it to lap swimming and subject the entire pool to my favorite music.
Quote Reply
Re: Fishes, important training question... [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cue Billy Squire...

#swimmingmatters
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.
The Doctor (#12)

Quote Reply
Re: Fishes, important training question... [LazyEP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LazyEP wrote:
Cue Billy Squire...

When i was in college, the coaches had a big sound system on deck which blasted music so loud that they had to be within 3 ft of you for you to hear what they were saying. Not many people came to watch us practice but those who did said we were the coolest athletes b/c we were the only ones who practiced to loud tunes. Still you could barely hear it swimming, but you def heard it between repeats:)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I find that bone conduction works better, as for playlist, funny someone else mentioned it, but I DO have some Barry White on mine.

Like every other toy, if you are using it for more than 25% of your swims, probably using it too much.

As you noted, it is only appropriate for times when you want to get in and zone out.

While exercising with music has been shown in some cases to lead to higher performance with lower rpe, it is rare that you would be able to use them in competition so might as well get ready for swimming without them.

The female winner of the Chesapeake Bay Swim wore one of the original finish headphones, got to be 7ish years ago now. Only time I have ever seen it used in competition.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No offence but to train with or without music - I gotta give that a 2/10 in the 'importance' category
Quote Reply