Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
First year of triathlon, whats next?
Quote | Reply
About a year ago my wife suggested I'd do an Ironman. I was 41, nice family, good career and pretty fit. I had done some sprints in early 90's and also few company internal minisprints, so not completely new to the idea of swimming, biking and running together, so why not!

Long story short, I did train quite consistently on average 12h a week. As a test I did a 70.3 beginning of June. Went well, 4.34 (28.27/2.30/1.29).
RR:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=5107257&

End of August did the IM distance at Challenge Vichy, also went very well 9.52 (1.00/5.01/3.43) and got AG podium to put a cherry on top of it all.
RR:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=5233534;

So now the question, whats next? I believe in general, happiness lies in getting better, but is that alone enough of a motivator and will I ? At the moment I feel very eager to train, even though it doesnt really bring much and I should still be recovering.

Should I set a lofty goal like KQ? Not sure if that is realistic.

I dont think it is feasible to train much more time wise, but maybe just running, which is clearly my weakness, for a second year will bring some gains? Last year was first I ran any longer distances, I ended up doing on average about 17 mpw with max at 39 mpw (once).

Any experiences, tips and tricks? How much did you gain by just training for a second year (at my age)?
Quote Reply
Re: First year of triathlon, whats next? [markko] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well if that is your first year of tri, I'd say you have a knack for it based on those times.

I'm not sure setting a "goal" of a KQ is healthy. I think setting a goal of doing your absolute best at an IM branded race is a better way of looking at it (only saying WTC as then your "best" could translate to a KQ).

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BTW, I'm a couple of years younger (39) and I found second year gains are huge as you start to realize what you are capable of. However, the threat of injury from over use is also a huge factor in your sophomore year. Find a good massage therapist!!

I found the third year to be the year of minimal gains but better sustainability.
Quote Reply
Re: First year of triathlon, whats next? [prattzc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
I'm not sure setting a "goal" of a KQ is healthy

This a little my thinking also, it is not only up to me (ok, if I train enough to go 9.15, then it probably is) and in the end the purpose of this hobby is to relieve stress, not cause it.

It seems like the following plan is forming, HIM's in June and July, if results good and motivation there, then WTC IM in October and lest see.

Oh, almost forget, equipment, maybe I should by a new bike!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think its' healthy IF, big IF, you can dedicate more training time to get faster on the bike and run. You're on the bubble right now I think. Better to know you'll be fighting for a podium spot, rather than fighting for 4-6th and relying a little bit on luck. Just saying that in particular, your run needs some work. All the top AG guys are running well now. I had the slowest run in the top 5 in my AG, with a 3:21 and that's becoming the norm I think. Its' not a good situation to be maybe 3rd and KG "safe" and then fall 4 spots over the last 1 hour of the run.

Option 2 is get killer fast on the bike so your run doesn't matter. That's also becoming common.

It's hard to say how much you can improve, but if you dedicate the winter to solid, steady training at a little bit higher volume than now and see key indicators improving (FTP, threshold run pace or HR at an easy run pace adjusted for temperature).

Myself, for example, I think I can surprise people again next year as I've learned a lot over the last 12 months, I'm upping training volume (time) by 10% and it will be my 2nd year training at this level. I'm starting 2015 a lot more fit than I was in 2013. Obviously there's diminishing returns to consider and the risk of over training.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: First year of triathlon, whats next? [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Run is the weakness and due to that I take the bike really easy (z1). If I can improve run I can bike a bit harder as well.

Where that would take me, who knows but would be interesting to see, I hope I can put in a similar year, but one never knows.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think 4:34 in you first year of training is pretty freaking good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First off, that is a killer first year.

With those splits you could crush races again next year. But make sure you identify your goals, if you target KQ then really work to be efficient. Use base for drills, drills, and more drills, get someone to analyze your form (reputable source) or video yourself and be honest on swim/run technique. Lots of content out there, but check out what the pros are doing and get some solid advice. I've really found Triathlon Research podcasts to be helpful, this is swim stroke (goo.gl/ZWYMEg). Or run (goo.gl/dESbsH).

There is always something to work on. Everyday be better.
Quote Reply
Re: First year of triathlon, whats next? [QueenCity1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I think KQ as a goal will be later if at all, it is not that important to me. Would be cool though.

Next year try to get faster in couple of HIM's and then see if I want to do another full.

Technique and drills is a good idea, in swimming I do do this, however, I find it difficult in running, the desire to accumulate miles is so high that taking 20 minutes to do something else is difficult. Funny really.

I think my other hobby, ice-hockey, will actually help me with this, I need to get a bit of explosiveness back for the hockey season and for that different jumps, sprints etc. are good, also some weight stuff.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a guy whose been tri-ing for the better part of a decade... I hate you. Get you and your crazy fast times out now. Don't look back and reminisce. Just leave the sport to lots of work with low levels of talent, slow hacks like me.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
markko wrote:
Run is the weakness and due to that I take the bike really easy (z1). If I can improve run I can bike a bit harder as well.

Where that would take me, who knows but would be interesting to see, I hope I can put in a similar year, but one never knows.

That's why you test that you in 70.3 "B" races where you have nothing to lose and even Olympic races. You'll find out relatively how hard you can push . But the guidelines using FTP and TSS, IMO are pretty good. IN olympic you should run well off a TSS of 80ish. 150-160 in 70.3, 260-290 in IM. Only reason to target lower in my mind is if you think your bike fitness if a little minimal. If you run fitness if weak, but you still have good overall volume (adequate swimming) you energy system shouldn't be a limiter, so I think you mostly just pace the run a lot slower.

But again, that's why you race, to test out pacing and test the limits of your fitness. Having a solid bike split really is a GREAT confidence booster even if it means you have a little bit slower run in that 70.3. Overbiking just a little in itself is a good experience I think. You learn how you legs feel and respond to that effort and learn to pace accordingly. Within 10 strides out of T2, I pretty much know what I do or don't have in my legs, then it's a matter of reigning them in for the pace I'm good for that day.

TrainingBible Coaching
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If run is your weakness you already have your off-season answer.

Train it. :)

Your additional activities will help keep your perspective on triathlon fresh too. Plus it sounds fun and enjoyable too. Don't lose that in sport.

But really work on the run to be efficient. If you hire a coach you will hear the same thing. Yes, volume has a place but, also volume won't mean jack if you get injured, those extra 10-20 min for drill will ultimately make you more solid as a runner and longevity in the sport. Form coach Bobby McGee hammers this. Watch the video, download any of his stuff. Implement it. And crush next year. You cross the finish line on the run, take it down!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's a pretty awesome first year.
"Beginners luck" ;-)

You swim and bike well enough (can always be better, but there's the law of diminishing returns at work there) so the answer is clear:

Do a run focus.
Spend the next 4-5 months getting your Gump on. Run 5,6,7 days a week, ramping up the volume so you are consistently doing 40-50+ miles per week (65-80+ kpw).

Search for BarryP training plan here, and also Desert Dude's Full Ass Run Challenge post from back in late '06.
That was what motivated me to do my own run focus, and I made dramatic improvements in my run fitness, that have benefitted me ever since.
I was age 40-41 when I did that, coming off my 2nd "real" season of triathlon (had "participated" in Olys and Sprints for 2 of the prior 3 seasons before that, but '05 & '06 were my first years of actually training for it, and doing long course events).

Good luck! Very glad you're not in my AG!! : )

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: First year of triathlon, whats next? [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the encouraging comments.

So running it is, although 40mpw seems awfully lot, I think I'll be happy and improving if I can do 30, but would be interesting to see what would happen with such volume.

@motoguy, never thought about using TSS for race effort but why not. 70.3 was 180 (course has a 2x real climb) and IM was 260, I felt my run was better (even than my goal pace) in 70.3, but I guess it is easier to keep it going for 1.30 than 3.30...And it feels more like running doing 4.15/km than 5/km (and eventually 6), therefore more positive memories
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
markko wrote:
Thanks for all the encouraging comments.

So running it is, although 40mpw seems awfully lot, I think I'll be happy and improving if I can do 30, but would be interesting to see what would happen with such volume.

@motoguy, never thought about using TSS for race effort but why not. 70.3 was 180 (course has a 2x real climb) and IM was 260, I felt my run was better (even than my goal pace) in 70.3, but I guess it is easier to keep it going for 1.30 than 3.30...And it feels more like running doing 4.15/km than 5/km (and eventually 6), therefore more positive memories

when you run 6 days a week and you're not biking a lot, you'd be amazed at the progress you see running more. My results was dropping 4 minutes off my 1/2 marathon time in 6 months and dropping 10 minutes off my best 70.3 run in 8 months.

Ramp it up slowly. Start at 30mpw, then 35mpw for a couple weeks, then 40. If you feel like your digging a hole, then back it down, take a recovery week at maybe 25mpw, regroup and build back up again. Consistency and frequency is key.

Now that I've done a IM run, it's a whole different animal.... just as 70.3 is different than Olympic. For me, Olympic is a combination of cardio capacity, leg fatigue and energy limit. Similar to a open 1/2 marathon.

In 70.3 I feel like it's my energy system that hits it's limit along with Cardio. I almost feel like leg fatigue is there, but a smaller player.

140.6.... MF... its' all leg fatigue. 100%. Cardio was never an issue, it's a easy run pace. I fueled really well, so energy wasn't an issue. Leg were just flat out destroyed..... and they I still had another 10k left to run. Pacing is more critical, every decision during hte whole day gets magnified on that run. I get the sense that if you fueled well, and have high enough training load, you will always find the physical limit of your leg fatigue. To improve that you just have to bike more mainly. You run will always revovle around what your easy run pace is. You need to run more, only to try to improve or maintain your threshold run pace, not because you simply need more miles to survive the marathon. I mean really, how much specificity do you need to run 1:15-1:30 slower than marathon pace?

TrainingBible Coaching
Quote Reply
Re: First year of triathlon, whats next? [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
140.6.... MF... its' all leg fatigue. 100%. Cardio was never an issue, it's a easy run pace. I fueled really well, so energy wasn't an issue. Leg were just flat out destroyed.....

Yes, agree on this. Would be interesting to know how the onset of this fatigue and the "end pace" correlate with training, pacing etc.. I started to feel it and slow down to above my goal pace at 25k and ended up at about 1min/km or 1.30/mile above. Total about 14min above the goal time.

Meanwhile, more running and biking is likely to be the best recipe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great start. Seriously.

Curious what your back-ground is - right off the couch or have you been involved in another endurance sport for an extended period of time?

Based on the performances this year you have some choices and options that are not open to everyone.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: First year of triathlon, whats next? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
Great start. Seriously.

Curious what your back-ground is - right off the couch or have you been involved in another endurance sport for an extended period of time?

Based on the performances this year you have some choices and options that are not open to everyone.

Thanks, not off the couch, always been sporty type, but not really any competitive endurance sports. Last 7 years or so reasonable amounts of cycling (3-5k km's per year), but nothing competitive, just enjoying riding, some very nice or even epic rides in the Swiss and French alps. For the last 3 years started up ice-hockey again after stopping for mere 29 years....As a kid lots of sports, but mostly in the explosive end of the spectrum.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Start getting into the specifics like bike fit.! Check out some of the videos on triathlon research. they can help steer you in the right direction.
http://goo.gl/K7Pzd4
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Second year of triathlon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Man congrats on great first yr! i just finished my second yr and did 10:19 at IMMT, i thought that was not so bad, but crap you killed me......i agree with others if time is the issues maybe add some more running in....but crap man why not shot for a KQ? If not KQ then go for Worlds and focus on 70.3? My gain 1st to second yr were big as I think most peoples are. I trained on 13-16 hrs a week so not a lot more then you, my coach was able to work a schedule around my available time and make it work.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: First year of triathlon, whats next? [nebeachbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
My gain 1st to second yr were big as I think most peoples are.

This is really interesting, how big? Did you train similarly or add lots more volume, quality....?

Otherwise, tough to compare races, so your time could be just as good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
first yr: coming off back injury, no coach, no power meter, first half IM ever did = 4:58
second yr: coach, indoor trainer, power meter, still had hurt calf most of yr (bummer it def held me back), 1/2 IM PR 4:26, increased FTP 49 watts from start of yr, beat some "elite" guys at local races. Overall way way way faster.
Third yr: ? coach has high hopes to cut 45 min off IM time (this is so course depended as well).

So yea i think most would agree if you are doing well already in one yr i think you can expect to see even greater gains in you second yr.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
markko wrote:
About a year ago my wife suggested I'd do an Ironman.

Does she have a sister?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Time to turn pro. I hear CEOIronman doesn't think there are enough.
Quote Reply

Prev Next