Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
First time to do a full IM, a couple of questtions
Quote | Reply
Will be doing IMMT in two weeks for my first full IM. Bike mechanic issues have always made me nervous including flats which take me too long to resolve. My question, on tv I see that when pro's have bike issues they get help, even exchange wheels for them. So, as an example, if my chain breaks and I don't have a tool to fix it, is my race over? Similarly if I run out of spare tubes, is my race over? Or, give some time delay of me waiting for some support I can get some help and resume the race?
Quote Reply
Re: First time to do a full IM, a couple of questtions [avikoren1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are SAG vehicles that drive around that can help with "most" small things. They will even hook you up with a new wheel if need be. A chain could possibly be fixed as well. Something like a broken crank or handlebar or seat post would probably mean the end of the race though. Routine maintenance issues would more than likely be resolved but anything beyond that would likely mean a DNF.

All that stated, waiting for a SAG vehicle could be a couple of minutes or an hour depending on where you are and they are on the course. Somewhere like MT with two loops is easier than somewhere like IMFL or IMTX that are big 112 mile loops.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Last edited by: GMAN19030: Jul 31, 15 21:31
Quote Reply
Re: First time to do a full IM, a couple of questtions [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great to know, thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: First time to do a full IM, a couple of questtions [avikoren1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since a flat would be your most likely issue, why not practice and get faster at changing a flat. It's a learned skill via repetition just like anything else. And it's low impact, get to it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw neutral race mechanics all day at Lake Placid - even on my very slow second loop of the bike course. The problem as others have said is that you might have to wait a long time for one, and then they might not come. I'm slow at changing a flat too but I practiced a lot race week and thankfully didn't have to put my skills to use.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
avikoren1 wrote:
Will be doing IMMT in two weeks for my first full IM. Bike mechanic issues have always made me nervous including flats which take me too long to resolve. My question, on tv I see that when pro's have bike issues they get help, even exchange wheels for them. So, as an example, if my chain breaks and I don't have a tool to fix it, is my race over? Similarly if I run out of spare tubes, is my race over? Or, give some time delay of me waiting for some support I can get some help and resume the race?

Breaking a chain on a road or TT bike is a VERY rare occurrence.

Have your bike tuned up at a reputable LBS right now, so you'll have the next 2 weeks to be sure it's all working properly.

By far, the most likely incidents would be getting a flat, or having something work loose, like aerobar extensions or seatpost.
The latter are easily remedied if you have a few hex wrenches on hand, and the former isn't exactly rocket science either.

As somebody else said, why not practice changing flats for a bit??
Like with anything, you don't get better at things you don't train for.

It would be wise to have some hex wrenches or a small multi-tool, and a flat repair kit with you - and to know how to use them.
Do not rely on the kindness of strangers - you may be on the side of the road for an extended period of time if you do.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: First time to do a full IM, a couple of questtions [Ironmom1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You should definitely be able to change a flat and take care of any other minor repairs yourself. As others have said, race support can take care of most medium size repairs but the wait time is hugely variable. I had a chain break at a non-IM branded half and race support was able to fix it in a few minutes.

I saw them sweeping the course at IMLP last year, I think they do this at all IM races. This makes flats less likely but you should still be able to change one yourself.
Quote Reply
Re: First time to do a full IM, a couple of questtions [Anachronism] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anachronism wrote:

I saw them sweeping the course at IMLP last year, I think they do this at all IM races. This makes flats less likely but you should still be able to change one yourself.

Most flats are pinch flats which are entirely due to user error and have nothing to do with road debris.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: First time to do a full IM, a couple of questtions [Anachronism] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I get a flat I will be okay, my question was really meant for other issues. I had my bike tuned up last week so I hope all is well. So, should I carry a multi-tool on the bike?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I once had an aerobar extension come loose at Syracuse a few years ago. Since then, in addition to taking my bike in a couple weeks out, I've gone over every bolt with a torque wrench for my own peace of mind. Bontrager, and I'm sure there are others, makes a torque key that is preset to click (disengage) at 4.5 Nm. Nearly every bolt on my bike is either 4.5 or 5 Nm. I'm sometimes surprised which ones have worked themselves loose. If they're particularly loose or if I feel like they were too tight, I'll remove, regrease, and replace. With all the carbon on a lot of bikes today, I've seen more people overtighten bolts in an attempt to be more secure and subsequently either break or strip a bolt. If a bolt breaks in a race, depending on where it is, you run a good chance of being screwed. I've had one chain break in 20 years of racing. I also only race on my race tires and new tubes, plus a couple warmup rides to make sure they're mounted well, then put the training tires back on. That's my ritual, and knock on wood, it seems to work. Those are my only two mishaps. Now that I've jinxed myself, I'll stop typing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You go cycling without a multi-tool?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great question. Ive always wanted to know this too.

Don't slow down till it hurts. Then, dont slow down...
Quote Reply
Re: First time to do a full IM, a couple of questtions [Breezie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Breezie wrote:

Yea this. I never leave the house on a bike without a multi-tool in my saddle pack, along with spare tube, patch kit, CO2 inflator, etc... Should just be part of what you always carry.
Quote Reply
Re: First time to do a full IM, a couple of questtions [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Murphy'sLaw wrote:
avikoren1 wrote:

Have your bike tuned up at a reputable LBS right now, so you'll have the next 2 weeks to be sure it's all working properly.

By far, the most likely incidents would be getting a flat, or having something work loose, like aerobar extensions or seatpost.
The latter are easily remedied if you have a few hex wrenches on hand, and the former isn't exactly rocket science either.

As somebody else said, why not practice changing flats for a bit??
Like with anything, you don't get better at things you don't train for.

It would be wise to have some hex wrenches or a small multi-tool, and a flat repair kit with you - and to know how to use them.
Do not rely on the kindness of strangers - you may be on the side of the road for an extended period of time if you do.

x2 all of the above...

I'll re-emphasize and add: Practice changing tubes makes it a snap. I'm of the school that you should do all work on your bike so you can trust yourself, and, become more aware of your bikes weak spots, etc. It ain't rocket science. I'd use "lock tight" blue on bolts you fear may come loose. As mentioned in a previous post - be careful with over-torqueing bolts, especially on carbon stuff.

Big deal/my secret. If you change anything, and I mean anything on your bike. Make sure you "ride" it at least an hour (a few is better), before a race. This even applies to brand new tires - you could install a brand new defective item that could leave you at the side of the road early in the race. Not good. I found out the spare tube (brand new) I had for my race bike and mini-slices in several locations. Lucky for me, I discovered this on a training ride - lesson learned.

You do the above - then don't worry, once the race starts. It will be, what it will be. And, you've done what you could to have things work out.

Enjoy the journey.

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Re: First time to do a full IM, a couple of questtions [manofthewoods] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am with you on trying anything new. I put on new tires last week for approx 3 weeks of making sure all is fine. I always carry tube, co2 etc however, for years I carried the multi-tool and never actually used it. Now I have my first tri bike and real-estate is prime for carrying stuff so I just stopped carrying the multi-tool. I have done a several races without it but now I am afraid that the gods will punish me if I don't bring one since I was warned that I should right here on ST. So, I think i will find a place for it. In terms of changing a tube, unfortunately I have gained experience this season and not afraid of it, but again, not the fastest at changing. I have tried to do as much myself as possible (changed cables on my mtn bike, changed chains, etc).
Quote Reply
Re: First time to do a full IM, a couple of questtions [noofus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
noofus wrote:
Breezie wrote:

Yea this. I never leave the house on a bike without a multi-tool in my saddle pack, along with spare tube, patch kit, CO2 inflator, etc... Should just be part of what you always carry.

If I'm within 20 miles of home I just bring the phone to call my wife ha ha
Quote Reply
Re: First time to do a full IM, a couple of questtions [copperman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But do you pack a multi-tool on races or this time for me on a full IM????
Quote Reply
Re: First time to do a full IM, a couple of questtions [copperman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
copperman wrote:
noofus wrote:
Breezie wrote:

You can't do that on race day. Seriously, fixing a flat takes 5-10 minutes. you have to fix it ANYWAY so why not fix it at on the side of the road and finish your workout. If your wife or someone else picks you up 20 miles from home that is 20 miles of training that you lost too. Seems like a very inefficient use of everyone's time when the workout is already planned.
Quote Reply
Re: First time to do a full IM, a couple of questtions [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Murphy'sLaw wrote:

The only time I've had bike issues was when my chain snapped during vineman. It actually rolled off the rear cassette and broke afterwards while I was trying to pedal still. I walked nearly an hour before a volunteer picked me up and drove me to transition. We did not think sag or the support crew would have a chain, if they ever would show up. I do think full IMs have more support.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't. I'd rather take the chance of something obscure happening and wandering over the next aid station whilst waiting for on-course support than schlep half my workshop 'round with me. I know one guy who take his massive mutlitool, plus some links, in addition to all the other stuff. Probably the only reason he doesn't carry a spare brake and gear cable with him is that he knows he can't carry his apron and bike stand with him.

Tube, gas x2 and some patches, all neatly packaged under my seat rails does me fine. I know. I live dangerously.

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Re: First time to do a full IM, a couple of questtions [125mph] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My multi tool has the chain pin popper thingy so if the chain breaks I can probably fix it but what else can I fix with the tool, a loose bolt. I think the two likely failures could be a chain breaking or a cable snapping. Can't fix the cable with a multi-tool so I am still debating but will probably bring it just in case, or for more peace of mind.
Quote Reply
Re: First time to do a full IM, a couple of questtions [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
copperman wrote:
noofus wrote:
Breezie wrote:

You can't do that on race day. Seriously, fixing a flat takes 5-10 minutes. you have to fix it ANYWAY so why not fix it at on the side of the road and finish your workout. If your wife or someone else picks you up 20 miles from home that is 20 miles of training that you lost too. Seems like a very inefficient use of everyone's time when the workout is already planned.

Dev, 10 minutes for a flat??? you must be old!!!

Truth be told (I'm embarrassed to admit). I'm on a ride w/my race bike/in training wheels the other day. At 2k's out I get a flat. That's when I installed spare #1 and like an idiot I rushed the job and pinched flatted, before I mounted the tire on the bike (complete with a nice "bang!"). Then I installed my brand new race spare (long stem for my race wheels). And, discover it was defective; 4 .5cm mini slices in this new tube. Nice. So I rode home on a front flat. Lucky for me my training wheels are tough as nails (Mavic Ksyrum SSL SS (sp)).

Embarrassed? Ya sure you betcha. But, at least it wasn't a race. (I just keep collecting stories as I get older).

1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Re: First time to do a full IM, a couple of questtions [manofthewoods] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
manofthewoods wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
copperman wrote:
noofus wrote:
Breezie wrote:

Truth be told (I'm embarrassed to admit). I'm on a ride w/my race bike/in training wheels the other day. At 2k's out I get a flat. That's when I installed spare #1 and like an idiot I rushed the job and pinched flatted, before I mounted the tire on the bike (complete with a nice "bang!"). Then I installed my brand new race spare (long stem for my race wheels). And, discover it was defective; 4 .5cm mini slices in this new tube. Nice. So I rode home on a front flat. Lucky for me my training wheels are tough as nails (Mavic Ksyrum SSL SS (sp)).

Embarrassed? Ya sure you betcha. But, at least it wasn't a race. (I just keep collecting stories as I get older).

5 min is the race speed flat change
10 min is the training speed flat change which includes a Cuban Cigar option

Are you making a celebrity appearance at IM Tahoe? Should I be going? (why did I even type that....H2OFun will be all over me....)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a bit flabbergasted that you're still agonizing over this
Quote Reply
Re: First time to do a full IM, a couple of questtions [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
manofthewoods wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
copperman wrote:
noofus wrote:
Breezie wrote:

5 min is the race speed flat change
10 min is the training speed flat change which includes a Cuban Cigar option

Are you making a celebrity appearance at IM Tahoe? Should I be going? (why did I even type that....H2OFun will be all over me....)

signed up for IMLT, hamstring/glute is a persistent issue; had it ~3 weeks before CDA, still nagging. I ain't no celebrity. You'd be embarrassed to know me - heck, I'm embarrassed to BE me! Come on up and join the fun.

1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply

Prev Next