Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
First ever Power meter for Running Shoes
Quote | Reply
Anyone interested in a Power meter for Running Shoes??? We have it, Check it out...

http://www.alluvialjoules.com/

-Saul Raisin
Quote Reply
Re: First ever Power meter for Running Shoes [saulraisin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Saul think I will wait for the dimpled carbon fiber model :)

Re: First ever Power meter for Running Shoes [bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe one day :-)
Would you like to help develop it?

-Saul
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm trying hard to understand what to do with a power meter for running shoes...How can it help me?

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would if I did not have two jobs , three kids and and a need to train and occasionally race. I wish you good luck with it. And to answer jaret's question . The same reason you need more then rpm, cadence and mph on the bike.

Re: First ever Power meter for Running Shoes [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power is the most accurate way to calculate how efficient you are. That is why so many people train with power on their bikes.

-S
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Anyone interested in a Power meter for Running Shoes??? We have it, Check it out...

http://www.alluvialjoules.com/

-Saul Raisin

It says it has pressure sensors. Can you explain how the device measures power and how it interacts with the shoe or human?

Thanks

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How would a power based plan differ from a pace based plan for running?

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Presumably, it would account for varying elevation, terrain hardness (sand, trail), and wind effects.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It would calculate the power you are using in Watts and not in a speed. For example: As you run up a hill the steeper the climb the slower the pace but the more power you produce.
Quote Reply
Re: First ever Power meter for Running Shoes [Canadian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am sorry everyone but I do not know all the logistics on the technical workings of the shoe. I'll get my business partners to respond to these questions,or if you wish you can e-mail our ceo at

john.gehring@alluvialjoules.com

-Saul
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I want a power meter for my eyelashes.

Velosurance - bicycle insurance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is the "power" output calculated when you strike or push of with your foot or combo of both ?

Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

If you need a product development/test runner, I'll throw my hat in the ring. Please contact me directly to discuss.

//Edward
Last edited by: becomingdigital: May 3, 10 19:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you but that doesn't answer my question.

I think it would be great for one of your technical people to come here and answer questions.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
It would calculate the power you are using in Watts and not in a speed. For example: As you run up a hill the steeper the climb the slower the pace but the more power you produce.

so, what good is this? a 200 pound guy will have higher power output than a 100 pound woman, but that doesn't tell you who is faster (or fitter). will this be paired with speed info?

also, can it be used in real time? or is it a download after/hope you remember what it is talking about.

from the website, it seems like a research tool (for tracking activity, etc) that is poorly suited to the athletic population

mckenzie
Quote Reply
Re: First ever Power meter for Running Shoes [becomingdigital] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Think develop means he is asking for investors.

Re: First ever Power meter for Running Shoes [becomingdigital] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

If you need a product development/test runner, I'll throw my hat in the ring. Please contact me directly to discuss.

//Edward

Exactly.

I'm always game for playing with new and interesting sports technology things. Plus, I'm pretty sure I'm kinda detail-oriented....if it can stand up to the pain I can dish out...

-
My tiny little slice of the internets: dcrainmaker.com
Quote Reply
Re: First ever Power meter for Running Shoes [dcrainmaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i just wanted to say that i love your blog/reviews. its extremely accurate, detailed, well thought and represented.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Think develop means he is asking for investors.

Probably, but it's worth a shot. ;)

//Edward
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Is the "power" output calculated when you strike or push of with your foot or combo of both ?

From the site, it appears the core sensors are a 3-axis accelerometer and a 3-axis magnetometer.

The "extended hardware" appears to be a matrix of pressure sensor inserted into an insole. I would conjecture that the "extended hardware" in intended to calibrate a set of parameters which map a particular gait, etc, to a model capable of estimating power output from just the inertial sensors.

However the creation of a generalized "running power model" sufficient to estimate real-time power output with meaningful accuracy from simple inertial sensors is extraordinarily difficult. It's several orders of magnitude more difficult than measuring power from bike wheels/cranks/pedals because the body is several orders of magnitude more complex than a bike. And worse, the range of differences among human bodies and running styles is extraordinary. So nailing it for one person means you've nailed it for one person, and you could still be very, very far from a mass-marketable product.

Such a model would be hugely significant because it would allow a meaningful, quantifiable analysis of running efficiency. A science which is currently in the dark ages.

Based on what's on the site, I'd guess they're not there yet. It looks like fairly raw data. But you never know, because such a model would be pretty valuable intellectual property, and would be a possible trade secret.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I'm trying hard to understand what to do with a power meter for running shoes...How can it help me?

jaretj

Gait analysis is one example.

I am not a runner but it seems to me that this has potential.

Sergio

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: English is not my first language. Please read this translated post considering that.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello saulrasin and All,

I beg to differ - perhaps 'second' ever Power meter for Running Shoes.

The first is below:

From one month + 1 week ago on BTR:

Re:Powermeter ..I am holding out for a pedal based... 1 Month, 1 Week ago Karma: 1

Hello Nicko and All,

Bicycle power meter measuring has been located at many different positions on the bicycle to gauge the effort of the human rider.

Various systems have included a hub mounted system = Power Tap; chain mounted system = Polar; bottom bracket = Ergomo; crank = SRM: pedal spindle = MetriGear. What these systems are attempting to measure is the power output of the human delivered to the bicycle. Most of these systems (except Polar with their frequency sensing) use a strain gauge methodology.

The new and improved Insolerator system gets closer to the human by attaching directly to the human feet. The 'Insolerator' which measures force at the bottom of the foot with a technically advanced pressure sensing insole insert using the newly developed and patented PMQ* transmitting foam.

The force measurement from each foot is radio transmitted to the receiving unit and resolved into a Watt power display.

Triathletes were reported to be pleased with the multi function insole (which is inserted inside the sock to aid in rapid transitions) for use with both their bicycle and running telemetry displays.

While the initial market for the Insolerator will be bicycle power meters and running power meters ...... spin off applications recently tested include an Insolerator for people obsessing about their weight - offering a constant read out of their gravitational attraction to the earth displayed as weight on their iPod or cell phone while offering instant real time weight change results from each mouth full eaten while in a standing position. (and of course instant real time weight reductions from other bodily functions)

The company is optimistic about sales for this 'real time weight' version in the US with the recent increases in obesity and diabetes and the general nature of the 'obesity' market to position themselves as first adopters of new and different technology, books, and programs.

A simple system using the Insolerator in boxing gloves helps train boxers with instant readouts and summations of their strike force.

Place kickers in the NFL have increased their accuracy and distance when trained with an Insolerator installed in their shoe impact area.

However in the spirit of full disclosure an Insolerator company spokeswoman reported that some 'teething' difficulties have surfaced with the next generation models.

In the next generation model a very small nano implant to pain and pleasure centers in the human test subjects was directly stimulated by the Insolerator with reward or punishment signals keyed to gain higher force output levels.

This direct feedback system resulted in several severe near death exhaustion 'over training' incidents, although the spokeswoman said on the positive side, motivational deficiency issues have been successfully addressed by the system.

More testing and research is planned to refine the motivation parameters of the next generation Insolerator to insure human user safety. (Look for advertisments offering cash stipends to volunteer human test subjects in the usual journals.)

Meetings with the UCI and IAAF to resolve 'unfair training systems' issues are progressing well.

Planning to piggyback on the recently restarted Large Hadron Collider project, research is being conducted to determine if the sub-atomic sensing nature (the Pauli exclusion principle) of the PMQ foam has possibilities for predicting the future fitness of the human athletes by using the Insolerator to allow 'on the fly' adjustments to training stimuli.

*Positronic Meson Quarking foam

The company plans to stand by the following SEC regulations:

Per Regulation D, Rule 502(c), an issuer may not offer or sell securities by any form of general solicitation or general advertising. This rule applies to the issuer and anyone acting on the issuer’s behalf (e.g. management companies, general partners and brokers). Hence you may not use any advertisement, article, notice or other communication in any newspaper, TV or similar media. You may not use seminars whose attendees have been invited by any general solicitation or advertising.

Cheers,

Neal

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: First ever Power meter for Running Shoes [Sergio Escutia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK, I can see how that could help.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply