Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
First TT with power file
Quote | Reply
I had my first time trial last night. It was a 12km out and back course. I ended up doing it it 16:55, a little slower then i wanted but not to bad. The wind on the way out was kinda decieving because there was none standing around until you started getting down range a bit. Any suggestions from the power file would be greatly appreciated.

Grant

Grant
----------------------------------------------------
Proudly sponsored by Desoto Sports
Please Support CAF every little bit helps http://raceforareason.kintera.org/grantreuter
Last edited by: cyclonehockey21: May 11, 07 9:32
Quote Reply
Re: First TT with power file [cyclonehockey21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How were you feeling during that 37 - 55 minute range? Your cadence was higher but more varied.
Quote Reply
Re: First TT with power file [fiddlesandbikes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
which part the TT was only 12k?

Grant

Grant
Please Support CAF every little bit helps http://raceforareason.kintera.org/grantreuter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry, the range at the bottom is not minutes. 3.7 to 5.5.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmm...look at your peak 2 minutes, and your peak 10 minutes, and that should tell you something: you started too hard. Much too hard. My last TT had a 4 watt difference between peak 2 minutes and peak 20 minutes, and I think the pacing was pretty much ideal. If this were a hilly course, well, that'd be a different story. It looks pretty flat, though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah its in miles sorry. That was right after the turn around once we had teh wind at our backs again. I think it may have been me trying to decide what gear was best to run so i think i switched back and forth a couple times.

Actually looking at it i may have droped it down a gear to pick up more speed then brought my cadence up and did that a couple times since my speed was still going up the first two drops.

Grant

Grant
Quote Reply
Re: First TT with power file [roady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Even though we were going into the wind the first half i should have still kept my watts lower?

Grant

Grant
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hard to read for me. What was the AP on the outleg and retleg and what was the avg. speed per leg?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Create a couple of ranges. One, the mile leading up to the turnaround and then one, the mile following the turnaround. It looks like even though you turned downwind that your speed and power were slightly lower. It looks like you burned a serious match right out of the blocks, I imagine your Peak2 min was the first 2 minutes. That creates a pretty significant debt early on.
Quote Reply
Re: First TT with power file [rmur] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah i made it bigger but thats as large as it will go through on photobucket for some reason for me.

Out leg average power was 300 at 24.9mph
Return leg average power was 271 at 27.6mph

For the outleg if you take off the first 10 secs with the start it drops down to 290.

Grant

Grant
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How many folks at Elkhart last night? I always think about heading up there, but it is an hour + drive from here and I'm not sure it would be worth that for a race that doesn't last 20min.

Did you go full kit? Aero front, disc? How many folks do a full aero kit?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mile before turn around - avg power 258 at 24.3
Mile after turn around - 265 at 25.9

I'm starting to get the impression you guys think i started to hard :)

Grant

Grant
Quote Reply
Re: First TT with power file [IAMike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
THere were like 70+ i was 67th to go and ther were still at least a few people behind me. A car fire on 80 got me there about 15 mins after i wanted to so i started way late.

I was pretty much full aero, i had desoto bibshorts and then a cervelo TT top. But there were a ton a people that had skinsuits/foot covers. I would bet 80 percent were almost full aero. or pretty close to it.

Grant

Grant
Quote Reply
Re: First TT with power file [IAMike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have not raced Elkhart this year, and only once last year as I'm single parenting. It is a great race and well worth the drive. I'm in KC and always felt it was worth the drive up. I'm planning on driving up for the June race.

Edit: I always use full aero gear. No reason not to in a TT. Do bring along my 404 front to replace the deeper front if winds are to strong, but yu shuld always use a rear disc.

Ric
Last edited by: ttracer: May 11, 07 9:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Every race is a learning experience and no one gets it right all the time. I think if you were to draw in the curves what you would see is a shallow smile. While it's good that you were able to raise the effort coming in, I THINK that you may have been a bit faster overall building into the effort and bumping along at the rev limiter to the finish.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Even though we were going into the wind the first half i should have still kept my watts lower?

Grant

That's a loaded question, but I'll bite.

If going harder into the wind doesn't effect your average power too much, then yes, you should go harder into the wind. However, the gains made by going harder into the wind are quite small (unlike going harder on a hill), so if it starts effecting your ave. power too much, then it's a bad idea.

That's NOT the case with this file, though. In your case, you went too hard in the first 3 minutes--your power was already dropping on the outbound leg.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah you do when you smooth it to about 10 percent or so you can see it :) I always go out too hard so thats not too strange to see especially for my first TT.

I'm actually suprised no one has said anything about my avg hr being 201 once the SRM picked up the monitor lol.

Grant

Grant
Quote Reply
Re: First TT with power file [roady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gotcha so i should have started something around 270 and built up to 300 or so then hammered at the end?

Grant

Grant
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HR is irrelevant :-)

Aside from the blowout start (weren't on a slope were you?) the pacing doesn't seem too bad. None of that ugly fade at the end.

But your race 2MP shouldn't be some 100W over AP unless you had a 1k hill in there to climb.
Last edited by: rmur: May 11, 07 10:36
Quote Reply
Re: First TT with power file [rmur] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
its only 97 over haha..... I had no idea what watts i could put out for 7 1/2 miles so i think i over estimated and then settled in once i got going.

Grant

Grant
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd say you should have 'tried' for 270 at the start--which means you'd have been around 280-285! Typically I try to do the first 2-3 minutes about 5-10 watts under what I think I can average for the duration, and that seems to work out pretty well. That excludes the first 8 seconds or so, which are primarily ATP-fueled and kinda like 'free watts' to my way of thinking.

Of course, if you're starting on a hill, this goes out the window....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had the exact same experience myself last weekend. 7.2 mile TT and my first 2 minutes were way over what I averaged (360 versus 290). I wish I had started more calmly but live and learn, I suppose.

Jason
Dig It Triathlon and Multisport
http://www.digittri.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have something that may help. I've been using a power meter for 1.5 years now and have tons and tons of data from hill climbs, tt's, crits, everything. Anyway, any ride where I have a good CP1, CP5, etc, I will record it and enter it into this monod calculation (the actual link to the xls is at the bottom of the pdf). The calc's will essentially plot a power vs time curve for you. If you have enough quality MAX efforts for any time period above 1min (>2min is better) you'll get a very reliable curve. When going to a brand new TT, look at the finishing times from the previous year and using the monod calcs, figure out what power you should be working at. Use this as a pacing bench mark for the first 3/4's of the race. The last 1/4 adjust based upon how you feel. It's worked for me surprisingly well. - E
Quote Reply
Re: First TT with power file [ErnieK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It actually does that with the cycling peaks software. I just save it and it automatically calculates the mean maximal threshold.

Now if i were smart and looked at that i would have realized it said right around 280 for 17 mins. but that would have been way over myhead to think of that yesterday :)

Grant

Grant
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I had my first time trial last night. It was a 12km out and back course. I ended up doing it it 16:55, a little slower then i wanted but not to bad. The wind on the way out was kinda decieving because there was none standing around until you started getting down range a bit. Any suggestions from the power file would be greatly appreciated.

Grant

that isn't a power file... that is a power file picture... ;)

you may not think the wind was ________ (fill in the blank) but lookie here:

link to my thread

and you can see that despite our tt feeling like low to no wind... it wasn't so...

g

greg
www.wattagetraining.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next