Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
First Ironman next Year...advice on Texas
Quote | Reply
Planning on doing first full ironman next year. have done several half's and desire to take the leap to the full. I have a very tough schedule and Texas looks like my best shot next year. My only concern is weather. Living in Oregon we don't have much in the way of serious heat and humidity. does anybody have experience with Ironman Texas and the weather that could help me out?
Any advice is appreciated!
Quote Reply
Re: First Ironman next Year...advice on Texas [Giantxlab] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't have experience personally, but I have a couple of friends who DNF'd this year due to the heat. I was surprised by one, not so much about the other. The heat is certainly the difficult factor about IM Texas so you would need to prepare in some manner.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's hot. Figure out a way to be ok with that. Then don't worry about it and adjust your goals according to the projected forcast a couple of days out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just did my first Ironman this summer, CDA which was around 106 degrees by the time I started the marathon. I trained for the race in Portland and then in Bend, where I moved to in April. I spent 2 weeks prior to the race training in the hottest times of the day, often times wearing extra layers. I also spent 30 minutes in the Sauna before my swim workouts and would jump in the sauna quickly before/after my runs. I definitely didn't have the race I planned for because of the heat, but I got the job done.

I would recommend doing what you can to heat acclimate for a couple weeks out if it's looking like you'll need it, and be sure to check/adjust your race goals. Too many people go out and try to have the day they'd planned for without modifying their goals and those are the people who don't make it to the finish!

My Website || Twitter || Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I raced IMTX this year and live/train in New Hampshire. This spring in the northeast was cold outside all the way up to the race (and after!). So needless to say it was tough acclimating to the heat and humidity in Texas. I did 90-95% of my bike training on the trainer. I only got three longer rides outside due to the nasty weather in NH. Two of those 100 mile outdoor rides were on windy days which did help with training for Texas. Texas this year was very hot, humid and super windy on the bike. I really did not try to simulate the "heat" while riding on the trainer. I've read about guys wearing extra layers of clothes on the bike and run to try to simulate being hot etc...But I didn't do it. If possible try to do your longer runs later in the afternoon when it starts to warm up in late April and early May. Texas was an awesome race even with the heat and all that. Non-wetsuit swim will take a little longer than a swim like Lake Placid. I really liked the Texas bike course. I found a ton of times I could tuck in the aero position, not pedal and cruise along really quick on some of the downhills which helped with saving my legs for the run. The downhills in Texas are not real big hills but I was able to just tuck and cruise a lot of them. My target bike split (using power and the Best Bike Split calculator) was 5:28. I think I did a 5:35 so I was close to my goal. So, I firmly believe you can do the majority of your bike training inside on the trainer and have a successful bike split. The run in Texas was super hot and some of the run course was totally in the sun, no shade. Right out of T2 I saw packs of athletes walking right out of the gate who all obviously overbiked given the race conditions that day. I overheard several athletes saying this day was like racing in Kona with the heat, humidity and wind. I haven't been to Kona but Texas threw all that at us! Ironman put on a great race there with great traffic control on the bike and stuff. There are plenty of hotels around and the downtown Woodlands area was great for hanging out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's crazy fucking hot AND humid. Even us locals have a hard time with it.

Good luck and have fun.
Quote Reply
Re: First Ironman next Year...advice on Texas [tribuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's not been officially announced yet but strong word on the street is that the IMTX bike course is changing. And not by just a little. But as in a completely different course with nothing (except maybe T1 exit) the same. There are several significant road construction projects on the course either currently underway or planned for the Fall/Spring that will not be completed by race day. Rumor is that the course will cross the freeway and head east of The Woodlands instead of west like it does now.
Quote Reply
Re: First Ironman next Year...advice on Texas [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is it less hot that way?? LOL
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tribuck wrote:
I raced IMTX this year and live/train in New Hampshire. This spring in the northeast was cold outside all the way up to the race (and after!). So needless to say it was tough acclimating to the heat and humidity in Texas. I did 90-95% of my bike training on the trainer. I only got three longer rides outside due to the nasty weather in NH. Two of those 100 mile outdoor rides were on windy days which did help with training for Texas. Texas this year was very hot, humid and super windy on the bike. I really did not try to simulate the "heat" while riding on the trainer. I've read about guys wearing extra layers of clothes on the bike and run to try to simulate being hot etc...But I didn't do it. If possible try to do your longer runs later in the afternoon when it starts to warm up in late April and early May. Texas was an awesome race even with the heat and all that. Non-wetsuit swim will take a little longer than a swim like Lake Placid. I really liked the Texas bike course. I found a ton of times I could tuck in the aero position, not pedal and cruise along really quick on some of the downhills which helped with saving my legs for the run. The downhills in Texas are not real big hills but I was able to just tuck and cruise a lot of them. My target bike split (using power and the Best Bike Split calculator) was 5:28. I think I did a 5:35 so I was close to my goal. So, I firmly believe you can do the majority of your bike training inside on the trainer and have a successful bike split. The run in Texas was super hot and some of the run course was totally in the sun, no shade. Right out of T2 I saw packs of athletes walking right out of the gate who all obviously overbiked given the race conditions that day. I overheard several athletes saying this day was like racing in Kona with the heat, humidity and wind. I haven't been to Kona but Texas threw all that at us! Ironman put on a great race there with great traffic control on the bike and stuff. There are plenty of hotels around and the downtown Woodlands area was great for hanging out.

This seems to be the norm every year from what I've observed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You funny!

Seriously though there are two possible routes. The most likely might actually be "cooler" because it would get into the forest quicker. It's still going to be miserable on the run though. The other possibility which race directors have been salivating over for years would be absolutely brutal - open, exposed and NO shade whatsoever. The good thing though would be a likely tailwind home under normal wind conditions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
It's not been officially announced yet but strong word on the street is that the IMTX bike course is changing. And not by just a little. But as in a completely different course with nothing (except maybe T1 exit) the same. There are several significant road construction projects on the course either currently underway or planned for the Fall/Spring that will not be completed by race day. Rumor is that the course will cross the freeway and head east of The Woodlands instead of west like it does now.

It's nearly certain it will not head east.

Badig| Strava

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Be prepared for a long hot day. I did some of my training on the trainer with 1 or 2 space heaters to help simulate race conditions. Its hard to get heat training when most of your training happens during the winter. Watch your sodium intake because you will need more then you expect.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
You funny!

Seriously though there are two possible routes. The most likely might actually be "cooler" because it would get into the forest quicker. It's still going to be miserable on the run though. The other possibility which race directors have been salivating over for years would be absolutely brutal - open, exposed and NO shade whatsoever. The good thing though would be a likely tailwind home under normal wind conditions.

Temperature drop heading into the forest is legit. It's a lot more noticeable in the winter but it would make a difference in May.

I've spectated each year at IMTX, and I'm pretty sure I've gotten heat exhaustion just being out there watching for 10+ hrs.

-Andrew
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have done IMTX twice. It's going to be warm. Coming from Oregon Bike Course should not be an issue . Rolling by Texas standards flat for Oregon. Run ismflat and warm.
Swim is more of a navigation challenge than any other IM I have done.

Learn how,to hydrate and use electrolytes for heat issues.

Good Luck
Quote Reply
Re: First Ironman next Year...advice on Texas [Kylebutler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
so it's going to be hot...hmm...not too worried about the bike course as no matter where I ride I am climbing mountains. The heat is my main concern as I do not fair too well in extreme heat. It might be in my benefit to try for another race. I've done research on the weather for Cozumel in November and it looks to be about 70's which is ideal, anybody raced there?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Giantxlab wrote:
so it's going to be hot...hmm...not too worried about the bike course as no matter where I ride I am climbing mountains. The heat is my main concern as I do not fair too well in extreme heat. It might be in my benefit to try for another race. I've done research on the weather for Cozumel in November and it looks to be about 70's which is ideal, anybody raced there?

Don't bet on it. I've done both. Sun is more intense. I race Cozumel in 94 degrees and got one of the worst sunburns of my life.

Badig| Strava

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done IMTX twice - 2012 and 2013. It's a great race, really well produced and The Woodlands, while thoroughly yuppie, is a good venue. I like all three courses, particularly the one-loop bike. But if you don't do well in the heat, you likely won't enjoy your day "running" the marathon. I lived in south Louisiana until recently where high heat and humidity is the norm, and I am usually the last guy to complain about them. In 2012 it was bad; in 2013 it was worse. The run was a slow slog for all but a few.
Quote Reply
Re: First Ironman next Year...advice on Texas [benhawn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Put your trainer in a steam room and you will get an idea of IMTX. If they do change the course and head out east then it will more than likely be an even flatter bike course. Like everyone else has said as long as you are smart and don't cook yourself on the bike and lower you expectations on the run you will be fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
love this event, but wish it was moved to a different time of year, but doubt that is possible given the current IM north america schedule.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How inflexible is your schedule that only IMTexas is possible ?

I'd rather shift things around rather than do a race that even locals say is hot and humid. Maybe do a non IM race ?
Quote Reply
Re: First Ironman next Year...advice on Texas [winchester] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
winchester wrote:
love this event, but wish it was moved to a different time of year, but doubt that is possible given the current IM north america schedule.

It's moving to April starting in 2017. It will only be three weeks earlier but that three weeks might mean a world of difference for air and water temps.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMTX was my first full IM this year. I live in AZ so could get used to the heat but was worried about the humidity. After my swims, I'd often spend 10-15 min in the steam room at the gym. I feel like that helped. Trainer sessions on the bike with no fan may also do the trick - I didn't spend a lot of time on the trainer though, I can ride outside year round in Phoenix so can't stand the trainer.

During the run I used Zoot arm coolers. Every aid station I'd open up the sleeves and have ice/water dumped down them. I also kept ice and water dumped down my jersey and over my head. That really helped and only felt especially warm on a few exposed sections in the neighborhood.

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This years IMTX was my first full. I have previously done HIMs Eagleman, Vegas and Galveston. I love the hot but live in Northern MD. It was freaking freezing this winter. I did one 100 miler on the bike the rest was trainer town. There were some seriously whacky existential moments at hour 5 of a basement trainer ride where I thought WTH am I doing? That being said, I loved TX. I said to multiple people that I would have signed up again after crossing the finish line 15 min later. Ironically I had a great race am am going to Hawaii so no TX for me next year. Point being you can train for this race inside. The best advice is to use a small space heater next to your bike and no fan. The woodlands were great. If you have a family they will love it.
Last edited by: tankinisusanne: Aug 13, 15 14:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Other word on the street is that the date is changing for '17....

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Re: First Ironman next Year...advice on Texas [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sbernardi wrote:
Other word on the street is that the date is changing for '17....

It's not a rumor. That's been contracted and set in stone for 18 months or so. IMTX 2017 is April 22nd.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply

Prev Next