Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
First Impressions: Kuota Kalibur.
Quote | Reply
With all the publicity surrounding Norman Stadler's sensatonal Ironman ride and win and the recent threads related to the Kalibur I wanted to throw my .2 cents in.

Full disclosure: We sell Kuota framesets at Bikesport, the bike shop I own.

In working today with jk_allen13 from England and in a brief ride on the bike (admittedly a very bad means of evaluation) and also working with several other customers including local fast guy John Sotir who is joining me in Thailand for Laguna Phuket I have found the following:

This IS one of the best riding and proportioned triathlon frames I have ever tried. shock absorption with a Renn disk rear clincher and a Nimble front clincher on Continental TPS Attack/Force tires at 115psi is excellent.

Drivetrain performance of this frame is also very good with rear shifting beiing repeatable and responsive to shift lever input. No mush. Front shifting is sketchy on this bike due to a custom 54tooth chainring made without pick-up rivets or shift gates. I emphasize this has nothing to do with the frame. Matter of fact, I wager the stiffness of the front derailleur mounting point probably enhances the shift performance up front. It would probably be worse on another frame.

The front is low- this is a small and the head tube is only 90 mm. The geometry chart claims the top tube is 51.5 cm lonf. Ignore it. It is wrong. By even the most conservative or "short" interpretation of center to center the top tube measures no less than 52.5 cm with it being more realistically a full 53 cm long. This also contribute to the stability of the bike but you do have to have the torso length for this frame. Julian is a little short on the torso department and long in the legs so we are down to a 90 mm stem with the elbow pads of his new Hed aerobars at the most rearward orientation.

So far, so good. There are more headset spacers than I prefer by far and we are working on this. If you want a low "Stadleresque" position you will have no problems with the Kalibur.

Overall, I am impressed enough to want one for myself. Another huge benefit of the Kalibur: They exist. I can deliver one to you today as can any Kuota dealer.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: First Impressions: Kuota Kalibur. [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But after jerk's scathing diatribe, would anyone really want one!!! ; )

"In case of flood climb to safety"
Quote Reply
Re: First Impressions: Kuota Kalibur. [j-son] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If they look at the product empiraclly and pragmatically, I think most people would find that it is a very, very nice bike. Certainly among the very best available.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How steep can they go with, say, an arione saddle? Up to 80 degrees?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom, thanks for the write up. It surprises me how easy you dismiss the incorrect top tube measurement. Would it have been a different story if you weren't able to achieve a good fit for jk_allen13? In fitting a 5'2" little friend of mine I would have had to find another frame if her bike had come with a 53cm tt rather than a 51cm as needed. Do you think Kuota will be correcting their website? This is one sexy bike, but a ill-fitting sexy bike is no fun.

And what is the actual weight on the frame? (ps: I'm still waiting for the weight of the P3SL you wrote about the other day) I know, weight is not everything, but it is real.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom

How does it compare to the P3 SL?

Regards

Jake
Quote Reply
Re: First Impressions: Kuota Kalibur. [JohnA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll see what Julian is at seat tube angle wise right now. It is reefed all the way forward but we have enough front center to make the bike stable in this orientation.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: First Impressions: Kuota Kalibur. [cmetri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm ot surprised at all by the discrepancy in the geometry charts. It is because "center to center" menas something different to everyone. There is no "standard" for bike gemoetry measurements.

We find that few manufactures charts are anywhere near accurate.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Front shifting is sketchy on this bike due to a custom 54tooth chainring made without pick-up rivets or shift gates.

Can you elaborate? Where and why does one get a custom chainring?

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom, what about the $1500 frame/fork version you briefly mentioned in an earlier post, will it also be carbon with an aero seatpost mast?

Dave from VA
Quote Reply
Re: First Impressions: Kuota Kalibur. [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are a couple vendors who can make custom chainrings. This one is labelled "MDT" and is very, very nice. Julian brought it from England.

Julian's effective seat tube posture is exactly 78 degrees in the current configuration.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: First Impressions: Kuota Kalibur. [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's the link Vitus:

http://www.mdt-products.com/...a_aero/luna_aero.htm

The reason a person may need a custom chainring is to accomodate a specific bolt circle, tooth count, or drivetrain peculiarity.

We frequently modify existing chainrings to work with a drivetrain. John Cobb was the guy who told us how to do it. On the FSA lenticular 54 and 55 tooth time trial chainrings we machine approximately .010" from the rear tooth surface on a lathe to make the chainring compatible with Shimano Dura-Ace 10 speed.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: First Impressions: Kuota Kalibur. [DC Pattie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Patrice from Eurospek, the US Kuota Distributor, is in China as we speak working on this project. We'll have more info upon his return.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: First Impressions: Kuota Kalibur. [j-son] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know about any of jerks erlier postings, but he was on the right track on the one i think you're refering to.

I'm sure the kuota is a beautiful looking bike. I'm sure it even rides well. That has nothing to do with the quality of construction and engineering that went into it's making.

Even zipp, a company known by many for making high quality rims in the usa, has several design/manufacturing flaws. Crack one open and look for yourself; the rim bed is uneven as hell (causing rims to become wavy, spoke nipples to improperly seat, and for the rim itself to crack, the internal layups of carbon are uneven due to a poor moulding/bladder process; on the sidewalls of the rim in the brake-tire bed transition, the fibers are drawn up, pinched, and then sanded off (a big no no with carbon) resulting in JRA cracks that zipp rarely warranties (if they have even figured out that is the reason they see this problem so much).

Contrast that with reynolds rims who eventually will likely end up making most of its carbon in the orient (working with carbon is simple, but labor intensive nonetheless, so a lot of money is saved moving overseas). While the idea of a full carbon clincher (or a carbon clincher period) is stupid, they do much higher quality and better thought out work than zipp does.
Quote Reply
Re: First Impressions: Kuota Kalibur. [Ben in FL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good point. There is carbon fiber, and then there is carbon fiber. As Gerard has pointed out many times before, it is certainly not all created equal.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom-

Are you also planning on carrying the GURU crono when available? I have seen some of the pictures from Interbike and am quite impressed. I would be curious on your thoughts when comparing the Kuoto Kalibur, GURU crono, and P3 carbon when you have them all in your shop.
Quote Reply
Re: First Impressions: Kuota Kalibur. [TriMD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Absolutely. The Crono is likely to be very interesting based on what I have seen.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ben,

We are talking about the same post by jerk. I was actually being somewhat tongue in cheek. And, I pretty much agree with what the jerk had to say, in theory anyway. But, jerk is also an unknown commodity on this forum whereas Tom D is a known and trusted poster. Could be the jerk knows exactly what s/he is talking about, could be otherwise.

It seems like a minority of serious cyclists only accept the absolute 'best' with respect to frame quality and materials. If the carbon isn't the same stuff used in F1 racing or space exploration, it isn't good enough. Witness a Parlee Z1 or Serotta Ottrott.

I think that just because a material may not be good enough for F1 racing by no means disqualifies it for use as a framebuilding material. The demands are distinctly different.

I think jerks ultimate point is well founded: just because it's carbon, doesn't mean it's better or even good.

The Kuota I saw at Interbike looked awesome ... a very pretty bike. I have no idea about ride quality or what the guts of the frame looked like. Ditto Zipp.

I totally agree with you about the stupidity of a carbon clincher? Why bother?

"In case of flood climb to safety"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MDT...isn't that the same chainring that cost Millar the Tour Prologue in 2003?...
Quote Reply
Re: First Impressions: Kuota Kalibur. [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"MDT...isn't that the same chainring that cost Millar the Tour Prologue in 2003?..."

i heard that it was the chainring that prevented a cheater from winning the prologue in 2003.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Tom,

What price do you have on the Kalibur right now? Thanks.

Andrew
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ben,

Get off your high horse and stay on topic please.

TheBikeRacer.com
Quote Reply
Re: First Impressions: Kuota Kalibur. [mwbyrd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if my horse is high i'd sure as hell like to know where he scored the weed.

My post was entirely on topic. The issue at hand is the quality of overseas labor and how it relates to a carbon product. I gave a pretty good example of how you can screw carbon up in the usa, and how you can get it right in the orient.

edit; you do make a valid suggestion though, you should never mount an animal when it's under the influence.
Last edited by: Ben in FL: Oct 19, 04 17:01
Quote Reply
Re: First Impressions: Kuota Kalibur. [TriMD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for asking that TriMD as I was thinking about that very same thing.

Tom - I am not that far down in OH and am considering making a visit to your shop in MI. The only thing holding me back (besides my wife) is that if I go - I'd better be ready to spend some serious coin!

Re: First Impressions: Kuota Kalibur. [AJK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We like to get about $2300 for a Kalibur frameset these days. That seems reasonably fair. Let me know what you think of it.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next