Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

First IM questions (Tahoe specific)
Quote | Reply
Hey all,

3 questions that I can't find answers to in the athlete packet or search function for IMLT (my first):

1) Wake up time. Is waking up 2 hrs before the start crazy? Most sources say eat at least 2.5-3 before, but I've had breakfast 15 mins before my big days and I'm planning to cruise the swim (strong swimmer)

2) Changing tents. I'm planning on changing in both T1 and T2. Can someone describe to me where the changing tent is placed? Do I run to my spot, grab my stuff, change, and run back?

3) Nighttime temps. Realistically I'll be done somewhere between 12.5-14 hours, which puts me in past dark. Given that tahoe is COLD at night, would you recommend leaving a jacket at Special Needs, and is there anything else I should have other than a jacket? Really a giant PITA that ironman won't let you retrieve the run special needs bag at a race like this where it's highly likely you'll need to leave a ton of optional gear in there.

4) Gear drop off. Given I might need a ton of running gear @ night, does IM penalize you if you drop off gear with your family that is spectating? I don't want to run across the line wearing a ton of stuff.

Gracias! Looking forward to it and hope they have 267 paved by then, last weekend was a "fun" ride... BTW to all you considering a 11-32 (or 11-28): go for it. I'm upper-middle pack 27rd old, and it made a huge difference for me over brockaway. Impossible to stay under threshold (3.5 W/kg) and/or at reasonable cadence (above 50rpm) without it.
Quote Reply
Re: First IM questions (Tahoe specific) [adamas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ill help with #1

In my first ironman, only 2 months ago, I arrived at the swim start and realized I forgot my wetsuit. What an idiot! lol.... long story short, im so glad i caught the first shuttle that morning, because i was able to get back to my condo then back to the swim with time to spare.

(i hung my wetsuit to dry after a practice swim, and all my morning gear was spread out on the floor when i packed up)

shit happens!
Last edited by: vancity: Sep 3, 15 14:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
adamas wrote:
Hey all,

3 questions that I can't find answers to in the athlete packet or search function for IMLT (my first):

1) Wake up time. Is waking up 2 hrs before the start crazy? Most sources say eat at least 2.5-3 before, but I've had breakfast 15 mins before my big days and I'm planning to cruise the swim (strong swimmer)

Personally I can't eat much before a race no matter how early I wake up. It's just me. I end up forcing myself to eat something about a half hour ahead of gun time.

Quote:
2) Changing tents. I'm planning on changing in both T1 and T2. Can someone describe to me where the changing tent is placed? Do I run to my spot, grab my stuff, change, and run back?
You don't have a "spot" like in a shorter race. You will leave your T1 bag on the ground in bib-order outside the change tent. Grab your bag on the way in, change in there and then hand your bag (now containing wetsuit, etc) to a volunteer. You then run to your bike

Quote:
3) Nighttime temps. Realistically I'll be done somewhere between 12.5-14 hours, which puts me in past dark. Given that tahoe is COLD at night, would you recommend leaving a jacket at Special Needs, and is there anything else I should have other than a jacket? Really a giant PITA that ironman won't let you retrieve the run special needs bag at a race like this where it's highly likely you'll need to leave a ton of optional gear in there.

So in 2013 we started when the airtemps were around 34. I did a full change into dry winter cycling kit that included arm warmers, a cycling jacket, etc. Half way through the ride it got into the 70s so it felt hot. I stripped what I could and stuffed it up my jersey. When it got to the run, I did a full change in T2 into "regular" running kit. It was warm still but I kept my arm warmers with me - I tied them to my number belt. Good thing too since when the sun dipped it got cold quickly. I put on my arm warmers. A jacket left in special needs would also be a decent idea however they caution you that you might not get anything you leave in special needs back. So dont leave a nice jacket in there thinking if you dont want it later you will just get that back. At some point they handed out heat sheets to everyone running past 8pm (and headlamps)

Quote:
4) Gear drop off. Given I might need a ton of running gear @ night, does IM penalize you if you drop off gear with your family that is spectating? I don't want to run across the line wearing a ton of stuff.

Technically this is outside assistance and carries a variable time penalty if caught. I wouldn't do it myself. Just cross the line with all your cold gear on since, well, it is probably going to be cold.

Quote:
Gracias! Looking forward to it and hope they have 267 paved by then, last weekend was a "fun" ride... BTW to all you considering a 11-32 (or 11-28): go for it. I'm upper-middle pack 27rd old, and it made a huge difference for me over brockaway. Impossible to stay under threshold (3.5 W/kg) and/or at reasonable cadence (above 50rpm) without it.

I have a full-size crank on my bike, 53/39 and didn't feel like changing it out (Quarq powermeter, so too much expense there). I ran an 11-32 in the back though and I thought that gearing worked OK for me. I wasn't fast by any stretch though
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. Wake up time will depend on where you are staying and how you are getting to the start. If you are close to Kings Beach, then you can sleep in a bit. If you are staying in Squaw/Truckee, I would plan on giving yourself 45 minutes to drive and park. Then give yourself another 45 minutes to drop off your special needs bags, check on your bike, get into your wetsuit. It will also depend on if you want to do a warm up (highly recommended) before the start. Wake up time for IRONMAN is usually more than just time to eat.
2. For T1- the change area will be INSIDE the Event Center. You will come out of the water, take off your wetsuit outside on the patio, go into the building to get your T1 bag (at the same location you drop it off on Saturday), then go into a larger conference room to change. There is a specific area for men/women. You will leave your wetsuit/cap/gogles in the same bag and the volunteers will take it for you. You will then exit the building and head to your bike. You will want to walk this on Saturday to make sure you know the flow for the next day. For T2- You will dismount your bike, hand it to a volunteer, then pick up your T2 bag and take it into the change tent (again specific for men/women). You helmet/shoes go back inside the bag you take your run gear out of. Leave the bag in the change tent with the volunteers and off on your run. Both T1 and T2 are "flow through" areas where you are moving one direction along with all the athletes. Volunteers will help you through the process.
3. Nighttime temps will be cool. Depending on exact weather you can either put a jacket in your T2 bag or special needs. If it is in your special needs, you can grab it during the race.
4. In 2013 there was an option for a gear drop area on the bike course and run course due to extreme temperatures. If conditions dictate, we will do this again. You can drop any clothing at the aid station. If a family member happens to be there to pick it up there will not be any penalty for this.

We are in contact with CALTRANS related to the paving on Hwy 267. They are doing their best to have this paved before the race. They have worked with us in the past (see the good section of pavement going down Brockway as an example) and we anticipate this being done before race day.

Have a great last couple of weeks and we will see you in Tahoe.

Keats McGonigal
IRONMAN
Operations Manager
Quote Reply
Re: First IM questions (Tahoe specific) [keats.mcgonigal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Will the changing tents be bigger than they were in 2013?

I have no plans to do a swim warmup. BUT, I will do some jogging, etc. in my clothes, and then wetsuit to get the heart rate up. I do this for all cold water swims.

Folks should really have something on their feet to keep them warm just before you head towards the water. I will have my wife take my shoes and socks.

I was able to drop clothes off in 2013 with an aid station that happened to be a tri club I knew so I got stuff back later. Dropping the stuff off at the aid station
by squaw, and just happen to have my family there is even a better choice. (Thanks for the flexibility on this).

So, is there a IMLT race for 2016? Sure two different camps floating around. Many have told me they have talked to IM folks and have been told this will be the last year.
Then we saw the announcement that volunteers could sign up for 2016? So, can you say what is really going on?

I sure LOVE we can do checkin on Sat!!!! I also love we can sign up for, or change races, assuming things are open, up to Sat checkin. Thanks!!

And the weather looks PERFECT!!

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: First IM questions (Tahoe specific) [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Change area will be inside the Event Center (not in tents like 2013). This will be a warmer and larger space.

Keats McGonigal
IRONMAN
Operations Manager
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
keats.mcgonigal wrote:
Change area will be inside the Event Center (not in tents like 2013). This will be a warmer and larger space.

This is an excellent change/upgrade! Great idea!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
keats.mcgonigal wrote:
1. Wake up time will depend on where you are staying and how you are getting to the start. If you are close to Kings Beach, then you can sleep in a bit. If you are staying in Squaw/Truckee, I would plan on giving yourself 45 minutes to drive and park. Then give yourself another 45 minutes to drop off your special needs bags, check on your bike, get into your wetsuit. It will also depend on if you want to do a warm up (highly recommended) before the start. Wake up time for IRONMAN is usually more than just time to eat.
2. For T1- the change area will be INSIDE the Event Center. You will come out of the water, take off your wetsuit outside on the patio, go into the building to get your T1 bag (at the same location you drop it off on Saturday), then go into a larger conference room to change. There is a specific area for men/women. You will leave your wetsuit/cap/gogles in the same bag and the volunteers will take it for you. You will then exit the building and head to your bike. You will want to walk this on Saturday to make sure you know the flow for the next day. For T2- You will dismount your bike, hand it to a volunteer, then pick up your T2 bag and take it into the change tent (again specific for men/women). You helmet/shoes go back inside the bag you take your run gear out of. Leave the bag in the change tent with the volunteers and off on your run. Both T1 and T2 are "flow through" areas where you are moving one direction along with all the athletes. Volunteers will help you through the process.
3. Nighttime temps will be cool. Depending on exact weather you can either put a jacket in your T2 bag or special needs. If it is in your special needs, you can grab it during the race.
4. In 2013 there was an option for a gear drop area on the bike course and run course due to extreme temperatures. If conditions dictate, we will do this again. You can drop any clothing at the aid station. If a family member happens to be there to pick it up there will not be any penalty for this.

We are in contact with CALTRANS related to the paving on Hwy 267. They are doing their best to have this paved before the race. They have worked with us in the past (see the good section of pavement going down Brockway as an example) and we anticipate this being done before race day.

Great information. Thank you. One other question though. In the athlete guide, it mentions that "Mandatory Athlete Briefings will be held during Expo hours in the three days prior to the event (check the event schedule for times)". Looking at the event schedule, I don't see any scheduled Athlete Briefings on Saturday, only on Thursday and Friday. With athlete check-in available for Saturday for this event, I won't be in town for the Thursday or Friday briefings. Is times for the Saturday briefings that haven't been updated to the event schedule yet?

Quote Reply
Re: First IM questions (Tahoe specific) [maddog95835] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
maddog95835 wrote:
keats.mcgonigal wrote:

Great information. Thank you. One other question though. In the athlete guide, it mentions that "Mandatory Athlete Briefings will be held during Expo hours in the three days prior to the event (check the event schedule for times)". Looking at the event schedule, I don't see any scheduled Athlete Briefings on Saturday, only on Thursday and Friday. With athlete check-in available for Saturday for this event, I won't be in town for the Thursday or Friday briefings. Is times for the Saturday briefings that haven't been updated to the event schedule yet?

There will be an athlete briefing on Saturday at 11:00am at expo in Squaw

Keats McGonigal
IRONMAN
Operations Manager
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Keats,

Thanks for dropping in, and answering a few questions.

I have one for you: With the new bike course making two visits to the new Truckee River Bike Trail, will you be installing some kind of "no passing zone" or speed limit?
I can easily see this being 5 miles of carnage, if there's no restrictions. During my two rides on the trail so far, I've been rolling at 20 mph without even trying hard. Come race day, people will be going much faster and overtaking will be with great risk on the narrow and windy trail.
An out and back on Glenshire would be much safer IMO, but maybe you have plans to control people?
Quote Reply
Re: First IM questions (Tahoe specific) [OneTwoTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OneTwoTri wrote:
Hi Keats,

I have one for you: With the new bike course making two visits to the new Truckee River Bike Trail, will you be installing some kind of "no passing zone" or speed limit?
I can easily see this being 5 miles of carnage, if there's no restrictions. During my two rides on the trail so far, I've been rolling at 20 mph without even trying hard. Come race day, people will be going much faster and overtaking will be with great risk on the narrow and windy trail.
An out and back on Glenshire would be much safer IMO, but maybe you have plans to control people?

2013 had a section like this and it was posted no passing.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: First IM questions (Tahoe specific) [OneTwoTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OneTwoTri wrote:
Hi Keats,

We have tried to get an out/back section on Glenshire for 3 years. Due to concerns about traffic management in Truckee, we have not been successful in making this happen yet.
There will be a "No Pass Zone" at the top of the Truckee Legacy Trail section. It will be roughly a half mile long from the top, above the switchbacks, down across the bridge. Once across the bridge, the trail becomes much straighter with much better sight lines. We will allow passing on this section when it is safe to do so. This section of the course is only for the IRONMAN athletes and not the IRONMAN 70.3 athletes which will help with the congestion.

Keats McGonigal
IRONMAN
Operations Manager
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the helpful info.
Wondering if one has access to special needs bag at what point & if more than once since I figure I'll be on the later end of starting the run & trying t odecide where to have the warmer clothing T2 or special needs.

Barb
Quote Reply
Re: First IM questions (Tahoe specific) [BarbBikeTechie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BarbBikeTechie wrote:
Thanks for the helpful info.
Wondering if one has access to special needs bag at what point & if more than once since I figure I'll be on the later end of starting the run & trying t odecide where to have the warmer clothing T2 or special needs.

Barb

Run special needs is on the Truckee River trail beyond where the second (short) lap turns around. As a result, you will have access to your special needs going either direction on the long out/back section on the first lap only. This is approximately mile 6 or mile 13. If you access at mile 6, then you can not access it a second time at mile 13.

Keats McGonigal
IRONMAN
Operations Manager
Quote Reply