Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
First Century Ride observations
Quote | Reply
I rode my first century ride this past Saturday which was a bit of a jump from my previous longest ride of 56 miles on the Wildflower course....I've just never had the time or the inclination to ride that far...that is until a few friends talked me into it on Saturday.

A few casual observations;

PACE LINES A GRRRRRRREAT! we managed to book along at 20-25mph on the flat sections for most of the first 50 miles when we hooked onto a big pace line of about 40 riders.

Tandems are FREAKIN FAST...a couple on a tandem pulled the first 25 miles and everyone else just sat in and went along for the ride.

When you lose a pace line its freakin impossible to get back on....I lost the line twice and didn't get back on until the next aid station...the first time I just fell asleep at a junction and was looking at my map when I looked up and everyone was under way and I was 50 yards down and I hammered the next 10 miles and still lost ground. Second time I hit a pothole and spat out my waterbottles and had to go back and get them....thats the last time I saw those guys....and my average speed dropped quite a bit from there to the finish.

If you're going to fall off your bike do it on a big climb at 5mph.

The whole "what is harder a century or a marathon?" debate is stupid. There is no comparison. A century is about equal to a half marathon in effort. My shoulders were a bit sore and a couple of bones I've broken recently ached a bit, but my legs were fresh as daisys after the ride.

The guy on the fat tire MTB wearing the Hawaiian shirt is a STUD!

West Marin is beautiful.

Wear sunblock.

I averaged 18 mph at Wildflower on the Olympic course and 17.5 mph yesterday for 105 miles so I guess I'm getting a little stronger on the bike.

----------------------------------------------------------
"A society is defined not only by what it creates, but by what it refuses to destroy."
John Sawhill
Quote Reply
Re: First Century Ride observations [MattinSF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Were you in that paceline at Wildflower too?

You call yourself a Christian, I call you hypocrite. You call yourself a patriot well, I think you're full of s**t

NeoCon by the Rolling Stones
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
The whole "what is harder a century or a marathon?" debate is stupid. There is no comparison. A century is about equal to a half marathon in effort. My shoulders were a bit sore and a couple of bones I've broken recently ached a bit, but my legs were fresh as daisys after the ride. ...
I averaged 18 mph at Wildflower on the Olympic course and 17.5 mph yesterday for 105 miles so I guess I'm getting a little stronger on the bike.

not an apples to apples comparison. next time, do the century on your own, not drafting, see what your opinion is then. having done several of each, IMO marathon is tougher.

if your average went up, it's because you were on that paceline going 20-25, by your admission. had you not been on the pace line AT ALL, your avg speed would have been significantly lower.
Quote Reply
Re: First Century Ride observations [bigdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was taking the tow into consideration. There's still no comparison between riding 100 miles and running 26.

"A society is defined not only by what it creates, but by what it refuses to destroy."
John Sawhill
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was this the Marin Century? How was the weather?

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sorry, i did forget to throw in a Congrats!

-------------------------------------
New rule for ST users to make this a better place:
When someone asks for ADVICE, don't be a douche. Give advice or STFU.
Quote Reply
Re: First Century Ride observations [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup.

I had the arm warmers on for the first 50 miles in the fog, then it got HOT. Mid 90s. The fog began to burn off as we were leaving the 2nd stop. The climb between Petaluma and Nicasio was sweltering.

John Sawhill
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]I was taking the tow into consideration. There's still no comparison between riding 100 miles and running 26.[/reply]I agree completely. I do 100's because I enjoy it, sometimes weekly. Marathon weekly? Weakly perhaps, but certainly not weekly.

--------------
Elivis needs boats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ooh, I'll bet that climb was nice and sweaty. Good job!!

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice ride...did you take the cattle grates at speed? Thats always fun in the early AM when they are wet from the fog :).

Century as hard as a mary? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA...HAHAHHAHHAAHA....sorry....

ot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice job on a hilly century ride.

The decision to jump on a public paceline in a century is a tough one IMO. I always wonder if some of those folks are first time pace liners and I would hate to wind up a mass pile-up casualty just to get some easy miles in a training ride. That you hit a pothole while in line is a good indication that some of the riders don't know the etiquette.

On the other hand, drafting a fast and experienced tandem crew is like motorpacing without the petro-pollution.

Now I just do the occasional century ride as a social event and do solo long distance for training. Sure can get lonely out there.

Mr. Uncaptured External Costs

Fossil carbon is planetary poison.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a veteran of many, many centuries. I don't think I could stand being in a paceline of 40 people. Where I live, it's hard to find 40 people who know enough about riding in a paceline for that to be manageable. I've done several centuries in under 4 1/2 hours and the common denomiator in all of them is that I got with a group of about 5 to 7 guys at the front and we just traded short, hard pulls all day long. What's really cool about that is, most of the time, it's 5 to 7 guys who've never met before and who come together and cooperate to try to scorch the course. Then there's this bond and, at the end, you have 5 to 7 new friends you'll see at events forevermore.

But this doesn't always work out. I've ridden myself into the ground early-on in a number of centuries trying to draw out the 5 to 7 folks who could work together and scorch a course. Sometimes it just means I spend all day riding at the front with a large pack behind ... and they scorch me in the last 20 miles. Sometimes only 1 or 2 guys will want to play and having your pull come up every third time as opposed to every seventh is rough.

But when it works, it's like being part of the Blue Angels with a handful of folks flying down the road in a nice, rotating formation.

Lately, I'm finding more and more race teams are showing up for century rides and they're practicing their team tactics on the group. They make it impossible to form the kind of group I enjoy. Any attempt for a group to form and bang out a good pace makes for a situation they're out to disrupt. There's no cooperation when a team shows up and does that.

Anyway, congrats on your first century. Glad you enjoyed it.

Bob C.
Quote Reply
Re: First Century Ride observations [OT in CA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't remember seeing any catle grids and the roads were pretty good for the most part, I think I hit the only pothole on the course.

Great post ride feed too. Gotta give credit to the Marin Cyclists for a nice event. A $50 entry gets you a lot more in a cycling event than it does in a running one.

John Sawhill
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ooops...I was thinking of wine country century (w/ cattle grates). I did Marin in 2003 and couldn't agree more about the post race buffet. GOOD stuff.
Quote Reply
Re: First Century Ride observations [OT in CA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good job. I'm doing my first this fall-Surf City in Santa Cruz. Sound more social that a grueling race event.

Re: First Century Ride observations [psycholist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The line was pretty squirrely especially in the first 25 miles because there were so many slower riders on the road who had started earlier in the morning and having such a big pack blow past at speed spooked a few people.

And for the record....I am one of those inexperienced riders you should all be afraid of in a public pace line ;-)

John Sawhill
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any other East Coast city dwellers wondering what the hell a cattle grate is?

--------------
Elivis needs boats.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: First Century Ride observations [LarryCalifornia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree about the steel bars...what is that shown in the picture, can't make it out. Looks like painted lines on teh road.

~Matt
Quote Reply
Re: First Century Ride observations [psycholist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Psycholist i have done many rides just like you talk about and i am finding the same about the teams,i guess the days where a few guy banging out a 100 are in the past,now everyone wants to go 15 mph then near the end see how many people they can drop,I am in it to see how fast a few guys can do it.
Quote Reply
Re: First Century Ride observations [randall t] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
there weren't any steel bar cattle grates but there were several bands of raised white plastic dimples on the road which are a little hairy when you hit them at speed.

I'm guessing that they are some sort of cattle stopping devices too.

John Sawhill
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
can you say bunnyhop??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LC linked you a picture that shows a 'painted' cattle grate...they are usually steel bars (just like that pic tho) with nothing in between them. Why a painted cattle grate? Cows are dumb...they don't know the difference. The advice I was given was to either take them at high speed or walk them. Indecision and slow speed is a recipe for a hard fall.

ot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can say it...doing it is a whole other kettle of fish.

John Sawhill
Quote Reply

Prev Next