Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Fine! I'll come back... My story of failure.
Quote | Reply
So after leaving the sport, I’m coming back.

The long and short of it, I’ve failed at just about everything I’ve done in life and now I miss the things that make me happy.

It was the winter of 1996-1997 when I first thought of training for a triathlon. I was a lifeguard for the city of Boulder and had been for 4 years. I was guarding and chatting up people like Dave Scott, Wes Hobson, Chucky V, and Cam Widoff among others and I didn’t even know who they were. I met some new City of Boulder employees Siri Lindly and these crazy good looking brothers named Tim and Tony that all the female LG’s would swoon over when they walked in wearing their training suits.

During one of my breaks I was lifting weights with my sister. I was a total meathead @ 218lbs and 5%bf. She called me over to her stairmaster and pointed down to what she was reading. “Look here! Dave is in this magazine!” I glanced at a powerbar ad with Dave pumping his fist and read the accomplishments listed below him. I had looked up to Dave, but for a different reason than you might think.

My sister knew Dave from babysitting his kids. She knew him at the hot dad with the hot wife who never seemed to work and was always working out. To me Dave was just a really fit older guy. I admired that people were drawn to him and that my 19-year-old peers still got hot looking at his body. That was what I wanted. To be fit like that for life. To be so confident that it seeped form my pores without the arrogance that often accompanies it.

Put it all together with the passing of my father the year before from multiple health related issues and I was hooked. No more pushing weights trying to get bigger. No more partying on the weekends. I was going to become a triathlete. I didn’t know what that was; only that I was a damn good swimmer growing up and it had swimming in it.

They very next day I was at the library reading about what it is to be a triathlete. I still have not returned that book. That night I went on my first run. Just about 1.5 miles and I thought I was going to die. I saved up my pennies, put a down on a Klein bike in Niwot at Oil Me Bikes and jumped in the pool before my guarding shifts.

My initial goal was to reach a starting line as fit as I could and KNOW that there was nothing more that I could do to be more fit or faster than in that moment. To this day, I have not reached that goal. I’ve had a few good races here and there, but I’ve never even come close to being totally fit for any race. Never.

So I come full circle to where I am now. I have managed to have moderate success in sales making over 14k last month and I couldn’t be more unhappy. To put it mildly, I hate being me right now. I have managed to gain 30lbs of fat and ruin some great things in my life. So I am coming back.

I don’t know how I’m going to manage this. It very well may cost me my fiancé and my job, but I have to do it. I’m only 29 years old and I can’t see living like this any longer.

Yesterday, I bought a mountain bike. Today I am getting the first parts for a road bike. Tomorrow I will drop the bomb on my fiancé and see where the parts of my life land.

Wish me luck, though I don’t believe in it. Pray for me, though I’m not religious. And if you see me training or racing, strike up a conversation or just give me that nod we all know that says, “I hope you brought your A game, cause its ON!”
Last edited by: LaWoof: Oct 13, 06 10:24
Quote Reply
Re: Fine! I'll come back... My story of failure. [LaWoof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glad you're back.....kj

---------------------------------------
Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
awesome story! welcome back and I hope it sticks this time. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LaWoof.

You should keep a diary or something and post it here, you have the makings of a great story.

I know I'm hooked and can't wait to hear what happens with your fiance.

Oh, and to see if the library police come and chase down that book.

You sir, are my new hero! - Trifan 11/13/2008

Casey, you are a wise man - blueraider_mike 11/13/2008

Casey, This is an astute observation. - Slowbern 11/17/2008
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Young fool... Only now, at the end, do you understand...

There is no escaping triathlon, it is your destiny.

Behold the turtle! He makes progess only when he sticks his neck out. (James Bryant Conant)
GET OFF THE F*%KING WALL!!!!!!! (Doug Stern)
Brevity is the soul of wit. (William Shakespeare)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh, and one more comment.

Be careful about putting all of your eggs in one basket in regard to triathlons. You should separate what is important (getting fit and healthy) versus what may not be that important (time, placing). Also, you will meet your objectives and be happier if you include those closest to you, and not try to do it on your own.

Just some observations from experience.

You sir, are my new hero! - Trifan 11/13/2008

Casey, you are a wise man - blueraider_mike 11/13/2008

Casey, This is an astute observation. - Slowbern 11/17/2008
Quote Reply
Re: Fine! I'll come back... My story of failure. [Casey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yea, as Casey says...set "process" goals and not just "result" goals.

Kurt

http://www.pbmcoaching.com
USA Triathlon Level 3 Elite Coach
USA Cycling Level 1 Elite Coach

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hey LaWoof

make it fun and something you really want to do! do it for life not to "win" anything. winning is fun but training and competing is what makes life fun.

life with out a passion is just treading water

Dan...
Quote Reply
Re: Fine! I'll come back... My story of failure. [parkito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Love the Emperor reference!

Classic!!!

-
Naturally Fit Coaching
naturallyfitjeff@gmail.com
facebook.com/pages/Naturally-Fit-Coaching
twitter.com/jeffbabister
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good luck, I'm looking forward to hearing about your journey.
Quote Reply
Re: Fine! I'll come back... My story of failure. [Casey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good call casey.

That'll prove to be hard. Once I get fit again, it'll be hard to not want to win. I've tasted it and know that I can be very good in this sport.

As for loved ones. I very badly want her to be with me for this but we're just so different. I don't know that we'll work out trying to live this lifestyle. I'll give it all the effort I can to keep her but I just can't give up my dreams to make money. I just can't.

I believe that a relationship can only go as far as each individual is capable of taking it. Right now I'm failing her because I'm not a complete person. If I continue forward, our relationship will be over before it starts. We need to be happy with ourselves before we can be happy with eachother. Not to mention, shes not exacty loving our life right now. Shes a city girl. She wants to live in LA or NY and be super social. That just not me. It's real fun, but I just don't what to live that way.
Quote Reply
Re: Fine! I'll come back... My story of failure. [parkito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Parkito, again you slay with the appropriate Star Wars line. Do you have the entire series memorized or what?

And Lawoof, you're still young enough to make the right changes. Don't kick yourself too much and be thankful you came to your senses when you did. Triathlon is not the end-all, be-all and cure-all, but it could get you going in the right direction. Good luck to you.
Quote Reply
Re: Fine! I'll come back... My story of failure. [trifan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Parkito, again you slay with the appropriate Star Wars line. Do you have the entire series memorized or what?

Alas, it's the way my mind works. All the trivia pushes out the important information.

Behold the turtle! He makes progess only when he sticks his neck out. (James Bryant Conant)
GET OFF THE F*%KING WALL!!!!!!! (Doug Stern)
Brevity is the soul of wit. (William Shakespeare)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds to me not like a story of "failure," but a story of someone who experienced a remarkable moment of clarity about his priorities in life, on many levels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Heh man, good to see you back here. Good words of advice on the thread; I'd recommend the book by Brad Kearns (Breakthrough Triathon Training) to help keep it real (although that may be a little harder in the rarified atmosphere of that crazy town Boulder).

Good luck on the return voyage and don't forget (again) the important things in life. And don't be too hard on yourself -- you've just started to learn about this big play called "Your Life." Oh and invest those $$$ wisely.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good luck dude...I hope your fiance doesn't kick you ass. Because if I remember correctly, she most certainly could! ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Remember to put 2 hours per day of surfing Slowtwich on your training plan.

my twitter feed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is that you, Tibbs?? ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Welcome back!!

Is this fiancee the same girlfriend we talked about previously?

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Fine! I'll come back... My story of failure. [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, same girl! She fantastic. Check my myspace. Shes in there.

And no, I'm not tibbs, but I have pictures of his feet if you'd like!
Last edited by: LaWoof: Oct 13, 06 11:08
Quote Reply
Re: Fine! I'll come back... My story of failure. [bikedude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What Bikedude said....

If you're only in it to win, what are you going to do if no one shows up?

If you win the rat race, you're still a rat. Have fun!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Train hard, rest occassionally, and have fun :D

I don't believe in luck either. We are what we make ourselves.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Found her...she looks great! What is she doing now?

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This sounds like a spiritual journey - the best kind. I hope your fiance will want to come along.

I saw Dave Scott in person once. I thought he was pretty hot!

-----------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Fine! I'll come back... My story of failure. [BottomFeeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, I broke the news and it couldn't have gone better. She was, in great fashion, totally supportive of me. Thats why I love that woman!!!!!

Whoo hoo! Life is great!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote Reply

Prev Next