Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Finally a RD is addressing Swim Safety [cyclops] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cyclops wrote:
Mr. October wrote:
atasic wrote:
This is all great. Bottom line, people need to start taking swim training seriously and prepare themselves to swim in a race in United States. Getting off the couch and signing up for IM race with no swim background or training is plain stupid. There is not much of that across the pond in Europe as they do take swim training seriously. Coincidentally, they do not clock nearly as many deaths in the water during race as we do here. Stupidity has got to end.

+1 . . .
There was a thread not long ago asking why everyone felt obligated to go from couch to IM. People need to realize when you are in that water a LOT can go wrong. Will it? For the vast majority probably not. But if it does, it is a lot more difficult to get help then during the bike or the run and there is a lot less margin for error.

umm this is wrong, fat people are actually really strong on the swim the extra fat acts as buoyancy. I gotten swam over by some whales before and I'm a pretty fit guy.

You can't just pick one criteria and discriminate because there will always be a good portion of people in that group whom the extra burden of discrimination does not apply too. i.e. fat people who are good at swimming.

I didn't say anything about fat people. I just said people shouldn't jump from doing nothing to attempting really long, difficult races. There is something to be said for training and being prepared.

Pete Githens
Reading, PA
Quote Reply
Re: Finally a RD is addressing Swim Safety [Cervelo Apple] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All well-trained triathletes share the same "underlying condition," a supersized central circulation resulting from compensatory NORMAL physiological changes. Health screenings will uncover ABNORMAL findings that are not causative in these deaths.

Cervelo Apple wrote:
but what are these swim deaths related to? I didn't think it was due to drowning but due to underlying conditions. More lifeguards won't help with that and not to be brutal but I doubt more time would have even helped either.

I would support health screenings at races though.

I tried to get a heart examination one year. Couldn't. Needed a family connection to even get me an appointment. Costs around $400. No one will do that. Only people are pros and they have sponsors pay for it.
Quote Reply
Re: Finally a RD is addressing Swim Safety [Jan de Visser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is the problem.

1) Why do doctors (they won't even do it) nurses (probably would do it ) need to get paid for screening at a triathlon? Volunteer anyone?? Granted I don't think they will be performing EKGs. I'm just thinking blood pressure, heart checking etc. Will it help? Maybe, maybe not. If they want to get paid for doing this, forget them.

2) Just because you have some sort of service, that doesn't mean a RD can include the cost into the race fee.

And yes I made a boat, not a military camp. A hard surface is very important for CPR, but as someone else said, chances are even this really won't matter.
Quote Reply
Re: Finally a RD is addressing Swim Safety [daisy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
If negative results are found, those athletes who feel the need to withdraw will be given a 100% refund.”

Nice
Quote Reply

Prev Next