Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Finally I can set aside my anxiety from not wearing compression gear
Quote | Reply

This study (hilariously, funded by Nike) shows no benefit to compression tights while running. Limited to 30 minute efforts, but strenuous enough that some testers, labeled experienced male runners, struggled to complete the test.

I do dorky shit: pointy-tailed helmet? check; tight-fitting trisuit? why not; ridiculously gaudy running shoes? I guess. But I could never take that last step. And now can rest easy that I didn't give up anything.

el cabrero
Pure American Naturals
http://www.pureamericannaturals.com/
https://www.facebook.com/PureAmericanNaturals/
Last edited by: cabrero: Jun 2, 17 13:38
Quote Reply
Re: Finally I can set aside my anxiety from not wearing compression gear [cabrero] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shows no benefit to compression tights while running.

Ahh, but don't you care about speedy recovery afterwards?
Quote Reply
Re: Finally I can set aside my anxiety from not wearing compression gear [cabrero] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cabrero wrote:

This study (hilariously, funded by Nike) shows no benefit to compression tights while running. Limited to 30 minute efforts, but strenuous enough that some testers, labeled experienced male runners, struggled to complete the test.

I thought people wore compression to hide their age group markings, making them silly-looking jerks. Wasn't the fact that compression was not effective during events old news?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Although I know Slowtwitchers NEVER train with nagging injuries (pink), I would say my compression sleeves sometimes help with various "itis" injuries while I run. Maybe it's placebo, but whatever.

Edit: aren't the ribbed compression sleeves shown to be more aero than shaved skin on the bike?

Not everything is as it seems -Mr. Miyagi
Last edited by: chxddstri: Jun 2, 17 14:10
Quote Reply
Re: Finally I can set aside my anxiety from not wearing compression gear [kdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kdw wrote:
Ahh, but don't you care about speedy recovery afterwards?
I will confess to occasionally wearing medical compression stockings after long runs, but only if I'm working from home. Sometimes I think they help.

Brian

Gonna buy a fast car, put on my lead boots, take a long, long drive
I may end up spending all my money, but I'll still be alive
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do dorky shit: pointy-tailed helmet? check; tight-fitting trisuit? why not; ridiculously gaudy running shoes? I guess. But I could never take that last step. And now can rest easy that I didn't give up anything.

Shhh, triathletes are a marketers dream and you are going to ruin it for all of them...
Quote Reply
Re: Finally I can set aside my anxiety from not wearing compression gear [chxddstri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chxddstri wrote:
Although I know Slowtwitchers NEVER train with nagging injuries (pink), I would say my compression sleeves sometimes help with various "itis" injuries while I run. Maybe it's placebo, but whatever.

Edit: aren't the ribbed compression sleeves shown to be more aero than shaved skin on the bike?

Yes, this.

I personally don't think compression socks/sleeves help me run or bike one iota faster by virtue of wearing them.

However - they do seem to help somewhat to prevent or reduce onset of "mad calf disease", for me.
Placebo? Maybe. I'll take it.

And I run a metric shit ton faster when my calf hasn't imploded into a horrific knot.
So, reducing the chance, however slightly, of a debilitating injury - makes them worth it for me.

They absolutely help w recovery when worn after working out.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the calve sleeves for recovery & have used compression socks in only a couple races. 1) for the in-between temps in say, a Duathlon, where rights are a bit warm and shorts too cold 2) used calve sleeves in Kona once as sun protection.

Do they work? Certainly for sun protection but couldn't say for sure on recovery or helping performance in any way. I have hope they did something along those lines.
Quote Reply
Re: Finally I can set aside my anxiety from not wearing compression gear [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
Shhh, triathletes are a marketers dream and you are going to ruin it for all of them...
Aren't we, though? I am continually astonished that tri bikes and tri helmets are nearly on par price-wise with quite decent motorbikes and helmets for same. And the price of a skin suit would get you a nice armored jacket & gloves.

Brian

Gonna buy a fast car, put on my lead boots, take a long, long drive
I may end up spending all my money, but I'll still be alive
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Calf sleeves have an aero advantage on the bike. Personally I don't like running in them, but will tolerate it in sprints/olys for the time savings on the bike (~45s in an Oly for me...so about the cheapest aero gain you can get). For longer races I'll dump them in T2 (all my races are wetsuit legal, so they are already on before T1).

I have heavier compression ones (30mmHg) that have really helped for recovery and for shin splint relief.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Finally I can set aside my anxiety from not wearing compression gear [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Really? 45s in an olympic? How was this measured? Sure seems a lot. If so, I should forget about my disc and get these socks.!!
Quote Reply
Re: Finally I can set aside my anxiety from not wearing compression gear [Kreiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
45 sec is my anecdotal experience (there is a race series where I do the same course multiple times per year. I've done it with and without sleeves and am consistently faster with).
I'm also aware of two folks who tunnel tested sleeves and got positive (though smaller) results (more like 20-25s). That being said, I have large calves so YMMV.
Third data point. Look at Wiggins' hour record. He wore the tallest socks the UCI would permit; it wasn't an accident.

Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Finally I can set aside my anxiety from not wearing compression gear [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
45 sec is my anecdotal experience (there is a race series where I do the same course multiple times per year. I've done it with and without sleeves and am consistently faster with).
I'm also aware of two folks who tunnel tested sleeves and got positive (though smaller) results (more like 20-25s). That being said, I have large calves so YMMV.
Third data point. Look at Wiggins' hour record. He wore the tallest socks the UCI would permit; it wasn't an accident.

I've never measured the difference and never thought it could be 45s.
Lots of TT guys use aetocoach trip socks. Which take the nerd level up a notch
Quote Reply
Re: Finally I can set aside my anxiety from not wearing compression gear [bluntandy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Consider two items:

1. The specialized win tunnel test that showed 17W between shaved and unshaved legs.

2. Look at the length and thickness of your calves and compare those to the head-on profile of any of the tubes on your bike.

Quote Reply