Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Final analysis see #5: please critique 1xatbandcamp's tri bike fit
Quote | Reply

Please critique my fit on my Shiv Comp Rival XL, Cobb JOFF, 175mm crank arms. I used the Cobb saddle installation instructions and adjusted from there based on comfort. I trained and raced on this position all season until recently I removed the spacers under the elbow pads which dropped my elbows around an inch with really no change in my comfort level it seems. Thank you for all the suggestions and recommendations. I currently test at 260 ftp on

https://www.youtube.com/...amp;feature=youtu.be

#2 updated position relaxed neck and shoulders ( I know it's subtle)

#3 one 25mm spacer removed from front (feedback? Do I need to go lower yet? One more spacer can come out dropping me another 25mm) I'll try moving saddle back 20 mm and down 5 mm next)

#4 saddle back and down 10mm. Better? Thoughts or suggestions? Than you!

#5 list of changes from #1. Saddle back 10mm, saddle down 20mm, 20 mm spacers out from under pads, 2 x 25 mm spacers out from under stem, elbow pads moved forward 10 mm, aero bars moved forward 15 mm. Still comfortable but I've only done 1 hr trainer ride so far. To get lower I'll have to make equipment changes which I'm not opposed to. Are we there yet??

Last edited by: 1xatbandcamp: Oct 8, 14 16:10
Quote Reply
Re: Please critique 1xatbandcamp's tri bike fit [1xatbandcamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hips rotated forward pretty nice. Toy found still rotate thir whole position around the BB another 5 degrees or more by taking out more spacers and rotate the hips ford more.

Hip angle still looks open even with the long cranks.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The saddles is a little high. Longer stem, seat fwd a little, lose spacer at front. This will rotate you a bit more but conserve all the angle.

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: Please critique 1xatbandcamp's tri bike fit [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tx Moto- not sure I can get lower with current equipment in front. Maybe a different stem and or aero bars. Btw congrats on your impressive 2014 accomplishments!

Any other bike experts out there care to comment?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought apple products were intuitive and nothing ever goes wrong with them?

I have an iPad and use it all the time because it is convenient, but still waiting on flash support....

Just watched the video. You need art on the walls. And the paint is hideous. A pop of colour would be nice. Maybe a fern or 2.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Sep 20, 14 20:46
Quote Reply
Re: Please critique 1xatbandcamp's tri bike fit [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the further responses guys.

And yes I thought Apple was great too until this BS!!

Ha ha on the the décor of our basement we recently moved into this house and it needs to be redone for sure!! I don't really notice how dull it is until I see it on video and someone points it out! Kids mostly play downstairs for now...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
saddle looks slightly high, front end could go lower too (assuming this doesn't impact comfort too much)...
Quote Reply
Re: Please critique 1xatbandcamp's tri bike fit [womble] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How do I lower the front? new stem? the pads are down as far as they can go on this factory aero bar unless there is another way to move the pads lower I don't know about--the spacers are all out. How far should I drop the saddle? Am I looking for a horizontal foot at the bottom of the stroke?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
image is a bit blurry but doesn't look like all the spacers are out (I'm talking about the headset spacers) check this image out. My Shiv is set up like this, note it is just the last plastic spacer that is left (only a few mm - recommended to leave this to buffer the stem to headtube connection)

I had the tube cut down a bit (get a bike shop to do this) but decided to leave one small spacer ABOVE the stem on my set up, giving me an option to go a bit higher (eg. for ironman or if I sell the bike)

Not recommended to have more than a small spacer above the stem as then your stem is clamping onto an entirely hollow tube which is not ideal, also doesn't look cool....

http://triathlonrumor.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/2012-Specialized-Shiv-Expert-triathlon-aero-bike.jpg

actually ignore my comment about saddle height, it just looked a bit awkward at the bottom of the cycle but I think that is more to do with the fact you are pedalling very slowly. Roughly measured your max knee angle and it's good (~140)
Last edited by: womble: Sep 21, 14 9:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
not sure if it's the treadmill in the background or what, but it makes it look like you are riding one of these:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Relax your shoulders, your head is sticking out and I'm not sure that getting lower will help much. Let your head drop a little bit and I think you can do that by just relaxing your upper body a little bit. You look too stiff in the front.
Quote Reply
Re: Please critique 1xatbandcamp's tri bike fit [sp1ke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Im pretty relaxed in this position. Should I try to arch my back a bit and tuck my head down?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I relaxed my neck and tucked my head in more let me know what you think thank you! (Subtle but every lit bit helps)

Last edited by: 1xatbandcamp: Sep 25, 14 18:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that bike is way too small.

you're not understanding enough about bike fitting and the aero position to do internet feedback... perhaps see a fitter in your area? Where are you?

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Please critique 1xatbandcamp's tri bike fit [ericM40-44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thx Eric what makes you think the bike is too small? I'm in Omaha, NE. I'm 6'4" and fall right in the middle of the Shiv xl sizing chart. Btw I have my saddle almost all the way forward which may be contributing to it looking like I'm too forward leaning. Thanks for the help that's why I posted this online.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It does look like you need more length. With where the shifters are, you probably shouldn't go further out at the front, so that only leaves moving the saddle rearwards.
Try sliding the saddle rearwards 20mm (you'll need to lower the saddle height about 5mm or so to compensate) and see how it feels.
You may need to go back further, but it's a starting point.
Quote Reply
Re: Please critique 1xatbandcamp's tri bike fit [DieTryin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Am I getting closer? I took out 1 front 25 mm spacer. Still pretty comfortable for me. Next I'll move saddle back and down a bit. Please see 3rd vid I posted in original post thanks.
Last edited by: 1xatbandcamp: Oct 1, 14 18:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks better.
Would still like to see how moving the seat back a bit looks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Moving the saddle back 20mm is a lot. I would recommend moving it back a smaller amount and seeing how that works. Lather, rinse, repeat as needed.

Personally, I think the position looks pretty good, much better than the first video. How does your helmet line up with your back in the new position?

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree with Jonnyo's take above. If your extensions allow it, you may want to try raising your hands. It may or may not be faster - very rider dependent.

Also, I can't tell from the video how much of your elbows are behind the aeropads. Having a couple of inches behind the pads can allow your elbows to act as shock absorbers to reduce neck tension and improve comfort - especially in rides greater than an hour or so.

hth,
FaS
Quote Reply
Re: Please critique 1xatbandcamp's tri bike fit [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here we go again with saddle back and down 10 mm. Thoughts? Thank you!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How does it feel?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's still comfy. I'll do a couple hr long rides on it and watch my power. Since this video I've removed the 2nd spacer under the stem and lowered the seat again another 10 mm. Again still comfortable. I'll post one more vid for final review but I feel I'm close to where I need to be. Thanks again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Because of the length of your upper body, you do still look a bit 'hunched over the front wheel', but I'm not sure you can get away from that. If you move your seat back much further you'll close the hip angle and that could be detrimental. If you lengthen the stem, you'll be even further out at the front.
The bottom line is, you're a big fella whose managed to get what looks like a pretty decent (and aero) position.
If it's comfortable, handling is good and you can still put out the power, then it's a result.
I think you'll be faster.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Updated one more time. See orig post please.
Quote Reply

Prev Next