Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Felt DA Build - First Timer
Quote | Reply
First time attempting to build a bike from the frame up. I recently purchased a Felt DA from a fellow forum member and am getting anxious about what I got myself into. As a first timer would I be better off taking it to a shop and watching them build it up vs. trying to do it all myself? There are some things I think I could do (cockpit assembly, components), but some of the more complex/involved parts I'm a little leery of (bottom bracket, cabling, etc.)

Also, does anyone know where I can get the frame plugs for the cable entry/exit points? Are these bike specific items or pretty universal across brands?

Thanks!

"Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday."
Quote Reply
Re: Felt DA Build - First Timer [rss31778] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Check http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=5342746

Basically, I would say do it yourself. Park Tools has great instructional videos for every step. It's not too tough, and it will give you a good understanding of how to adjust or fix problems down the road. Plus that pride of accomplishment. Get yourself some cable cutters. And probably a torque wrench. A bike stand really helps too, but it can be done without one. Only thing I would suggest is take it to a shape for the crown race and fork cutting (if needed). I do one thing on the bike at a time, so I don't get overwhelmed with the entirety of the project.

Enjoy!

-----

Blazeman Warrior - so others may live
Live more than your neighbors.... Bark at the moon like the wild dog that you are.... And by all means, whatever you do, get it on film.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Flo has videos on their website for building a bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Felt DA Build - First Timer [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the feed back and direction so far. I didn't know if anyone with a DA had any special insight or if that frame is really any different than others with internal routing, etc. I know the integrated rear brake is a bit unusual.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What year frame?
Bike shops make a living on guys like us who try to build a bike but just do not have the entire skill set needed. I say go for it! You can always take it to the LBS and have them fix/do what you did/couldn't do.
Good Luck!

Keep Moving Forward
Quote Reply
Re: Felt DA Build - First Timer [DA2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a 2013 frame. I need the plugs for the cable entry/exit points as well but have no idea where to get those. Not sure if they're specific to the Felt/DA?

One tool I don't have is the bottom bracket press and I'm not sure if that's a worthwhile investment to have long term?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get the plugs here.

I built up a 2012 DA2 myself as a near-novice bike builder. Getting the housing through the frame was a bit of a chore. Took a lot of time with little hooks and flashlights, etc. But it's do-able.

Getting the rear brake dialed in is another chore, but there are threads on that here.

For the bottom bracket I didn't bother with BB30, and just got a Wheels Manufacturing BB30 outboard BB for my GXP crank. Installs in about 5 seconds, no need to worry about clips, spacers, or special tools.

There's some satisfaction in doing it yourself. But you'll save a lot of time handing it over to a shop. A shop with Felt experience will do it 10x faster than you can.
Quote Reply
Re: Felt DA Build - First Timer [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I stumbled across that site for the plugs but didn't know if there were other options. Thanks for confirming!

I was thinking about having the shop do some of the steps and then I'd pick up the slack where I could (especially when a lot of the labor is spent with the internal cable routing), but maybe in the end having them do the full build would be the better way to go.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recently built up a 2012 DA.

Look up info on adjusting the headset.

Fishing the cable housings through the frame is fun. When you get there ask questions.

Start with new brake pads for the rear brake and save yourself some time. Make sure the brake parts move smoothly and with no restriction. Don't over tighten the setscrews. Make sure your wheels are dished perfectly.

Use cable housing adjusters on all of the cables. Locate three of them at the top tube entry point and just about anywhere for the front brake.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You shouldn't need a bottom bracket press for a DA, it's an english threaded bottom bracket from what I know.

marceves.com
Quote Reply
Re: Felt DA Build - First Timer [skiermarc127] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A 2013 felt da has a BB30 bottom bracket
Quote Reply